PDA

View Full Version : Unique shooting bench

Hairtrigger
10-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Found this pic, the shooting brunch definitely looks interesting and well done

Does not appear to me that it would be overly stable and the seats look like they may wobble but overall I am impressed with the ingenuity of the person that made this

smithnframe
10-01-2020, 07:53 AM
Looks like a good idea! I think it would be easy to strengthen it. Now I'm looking for one!

Hossfly
10-01-2020, 08:43 AM
That hole in the middle looks like a good place for a beach umbrella,

or a place for errant rounds.

mattw
10-01-2020, 08:51 AM
That is really a good idea, a little work to make the seat stronger and it might be really good. Someone had their thinking cap on.

toallmy
10-01-2020, 08:55 AM
+ it can be rolled around

mongo40
10-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Saw this on pintrest a few months ago, picked up two of the spools but haven't got around to making one yet, need to get after it.

elk hunter
10-01-2020, 09:32 AM
That hole in the middle looks like a good place for a beach umbrella,

or a place for errant rounds.

It's true; "necessity is the mother of invention".

I use a cable spool as a table to hold my tool box and the center hole to hold a large umbrella while I'm working on the grader I use to dress the roads at our range. Never thought about using one to make a shooting bench. Years ago I made a plywood top to use with a "work mate" folding clamping table along with a folding chair, it made a usable shooting bench when I didn't want to drive 27 miles one way to the range.

Baltimoreed
10-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Clever idea. I like it. Needs a solid top, i can see your brass going down the hole. Also needs to be water proofed. I had one that I used as a shooting table on my backyard range and the weather eventually destroyed it. Salt treated blocks to get it off of the ground will help keep some of the water away from it.

Winger Ed.
10-03-2020, 01:26 AM
That is clever.
I always put a towel over the bench top when I shoot, so the hole isn't much of an issue.

If it's a problem, any thin something will cover it, even the handy man's secret weapon--- duct tape.

OS OK
10-03-2020, 11:59 AM
Tell'Ya what . . . as a retired Electrical Contractor I have emptied more of those big spools than I can remember.

Everyone back then wanted one and we made coffee & patio tables and such from them ... this is genius ... this was some good thinking too.

Cut a short pile carpet over it and tack it down, or screw it down so it can be replaced...nice work there.

fast ronnie
10-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Don't see those spools that much any more, but at one time they were hard to get rid of. Great idea that serves a couple of purposes.

Winger Ed.
10-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Don't see those spools that much any more, but at one time they were hard to get rid of. Great idea that serves a couple of purposes.

I've seen them going down the road on flatbeds,
but they're all plastic now or a heavy wire frame looking something, and might get re-used and not thrown away.

gnoahhh
10-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Looking at this I can see where it could be wobbly, at least when speaking in terms of a rock solid shooting platform. To counter that, perhaps 4 stout stubby legs under it, maybe an inch or two long?

dverna
10-04-2020, 07:32 PM
We had a couple when I was a kid...wasps loved them too.

RP
10-06-2020, 10:51 PM
I asked about the old spools at the supply house and was told they shipped them back now guess they have a core charge on them now.

I did see a guy that reused one of those folding picnic tables made a new top out of scrap 1/4 with cut outs on each side for left and right hand shooters for his autos he use a plastic tote and a brick to hold it in place which work well. I shot off it and to my surprise it was more stable then it looked. When he was done put his odds and ends gear in the tote folded the legs and was loaded up and gone in just a few mins.
I built a few for me and my sons using the same type legs in the front and a screw in pipe for the rear if I do it again I think I copy his.

45workhorse
10-07-2020, 02:35 AM
Just so happens we have a couple out at our range! Might need to do a little cutting soon.
Mighty fine idea!!

Czech_too
02-09-2021, 07:20 AM
For those who have used something like this, what would you say is the optimum diameter to use? This would be to accommodate both righties & lefties.
I'm seeing these for sale locally and since our range is going to need more benches it seems like a viable option. The cost is CHEAP compared to that of another bench designed similar.

Brian

jmorris
02-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Looking at this I can see where it could be wobbly, at least when speaking in terms of a rock solid shooting platform. To counter that, perhaps 4 stout stubby legs under it, maybe an inch or two long?

Made from steel with 3 legs would do it.

Ural Driver
02-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Idea stolen.....[smilie=w:

murf205
02-21-2021, 04:38 PM
Wow, that brings back memories. My first reloading bench in my apartment was a wire reel. I came home one day and my wife had filled the cracks with wood putty and painted it bright yellow for me. I bolted a RCBS JR to it and was off and running, 50 yrs ago .

W.R.Buchanan
02-21-2021, 05:40 PM

3 legs only, 4 will still wobble.

Pretty cool idea and someone should get a gold star for it!

Randy

Jackpine
03-08-2021, 10:36 AM
The wobble in older spools is usually because they were made of wood that was not dry and as the wood dries and shrinks, wobble appears. Soaking the treads of the long rods that go through with penetrating oil will hopefully get the nuts turning and tightening can be done. If it is a permanent setup, filling the center with sand will make for some pretty good stability.

BigEyeBob
03-14-2021, 05:04 AM
Most of those wooden spools I ve seen here ,have been eaten by termites , they eat the inards out of the wood leaving a paper thin layer on the out side .Try and pick them up and it disintergrates . Even loaded with cable ,leave it too long in one spot and they get it.Termites have been known to eat the plastic shielding on under ground cables as well .

gondwana
03-14-2021, 05:45 AM
This interests me. I'm looking for a portable solution that I can make at home and would really appreciate any thoughts and pics.

Arseniy Botkin
03-14-2021, 07:49 AM
interesting idea :) + it can be rolled)) 30 years ago, I would have already gone to look for such a coil, there used to be a lot of them everywhere))

GregLaROCHE
03-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Very interesting. That gives me some ideas.

OS OK
03-14-2021, 01:01 PM
I started building a new shooting bench yesterday but i am after 'heavy & steady'...a wiggly bench will make you cuss!

I drew it out on the shop floor...drank a few beers as I mulled on what I needed to do...

https://i.imgur.com/NReZjWM.jpg

"Yup, it's for a leftie!"

https://i.imgur.com/NqnjJyH.jpg

Then I went to the wood pile, fetched some heavy 'treated' 4" x 4''s . . .

https://i.imgur.com/fd4WAx1.jpg

Then I got busy making the top framework, prolly in a week or so I'll have'r done.

https://i.imgur.com/xpXz8Eb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UAGfqKP.jpg

onelight
03-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Nice work .

Pressman
03-15-2021, 09:29 PM
Looks good and should really help your quest for accuracy.

Baltimoreed
03-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Just a suggestion but it would be more comfortable if the inside corner is a long radius instead of a rt angle. Also thicken it up so it’s maybe an inch thick there. I like to lean into that corner to lean into the rifle. Nice mortise work.

OS OK
03-17-2021, 09:59 AM
Just a suggestion but it would be more comfortable if the inside corner is a long radius instead of a rt angle. Also thicken it up so it’s maybe an inch thick there. I like to lean into that corner to lean into the rifle. Nice mortise work.

Good idea about that inside corner, I had planned a small radius there but will increase that...the top is 2.25" thick so that ought be enough for comfort?
Almost got all the framework done yesterday but the rain clouds threatened to wet everything so I had to drag it all in for today (crossed fingers = 'no rain' today)

https://i.imgur.com/sm95GyK.jpg

fallingblock
03-21-2021, 10:45 AM
I seen a picture of one similar to that. I think it was a guy in the Houston area.

Czech_too
04-06-2021, 03:31 PM
A prototype of the bench we intend to use on at least part of the range.280923280924
After making up a material list & then figuring out the cost, there was no way I could justify $180+ on each bench & we're going to need several. So when I saw these pictures of spools converted into benches ... A little modification to the idea & this bench is solid. Might have $65 into it, labor is free.

Boz330
04-07-2021, 10:18 AM
I had a bunch of these on my personal range and they rot pretty quick, even if they are painted. A penetrating preservative would probably work better.
If they contact the ground they will soak up moisture even under cover and rot.

Bob

pertnear
04-07-2021, 10:42 AM
I luv it! Thanks for posting. I've seen that design a couple of times. Ingenuity at its best! But...

Still looks like a good bit of work is involved building one, although the materials maybe free. It would seem like someone could build one out of old pallets & be more ergonomic(?) I for one, like a separate sitting stool to make the shooter in the least stressed shooting position.

Just sayin'......

OS OK
04-07-2021, 10:44 AM
I posted earlier about building a good bench for home use here...I got her done.

Included some 'red-neck' leveling feet...

https://i.imgur.com/3CHvMyu.jpg

I was very pleased...

https://i.imgur.com/lPMlMaj.jpg

Only thing I didn't count on was my leaning against it to shoot, it moves my cross-hairs when I do, but...not anymore, I had to make one 'hi-tech' modification...I leaned a big rock against it, problem solved!

https://i.imgur.com/HBvNRq8.jpg

Baltimoreed
04-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Good work, a very nice build even if you did put the seat on the wrong side. Like the clever levelers.

Boz330
04-07-2021, 05:04 PM
GEEEEZZE Baltimoreed, you beat me to it.

Bob

Czech_too
04-07-2021, 05:54 PM
My intention, don't know how well the younger generation will follow it, is to give all of it a good coat yearly of some sort of wood preservative and put it off of the ground by using some sort of material between it and same. I figure that it will be at least 2 years before any sort of covered firing line is built. The range we're building is from scratch so it's at least a 5 year project. After it's up and running/established I want to step down and hopefully enjoy it. I'd like to be able to say that it's been fun, but I can't.

Gunners Mate
04-08-2021, 12:00 AM
Clever idea. I like it. Needs a solid top, i can see your brass going down the hole. Also needs to be water proofed. I had one that I used as a shooting table on my backyard range and the weather eventually destroyed it. Salt treated blocks to get it off of the ground will help keep some of the water away from it.

Needs an umbrella in that center hole to keep the sun off

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Good work, a very nice build even if you did put the seat on the wrong side. Like the clever levelers.

My thought exactly ^^^^ You definitely get a Gold Star for the adjustment shims on the levelers.

Might take it back for being left handed though? [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Looks good and probably will outlast us all.

Randy