PDA

View Full Version : 45 auto rim

shotman
12-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I bought some 45 auto rim brass and dies. What do they fit? they dont work in any thing I have rick

45nut
12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
S&W 625's and Colt and S&W 1917's for sure!

9.3X62AL
12-07-2008, 01:59 AM
The 45 Auto Rim case fits revolvers chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge like the Colt and S&W Model 1917, Colt New Service, S&W Model 25-2, 625, and other N-frame variants. The thick rim takes the place of and fills the space of clips otherwise required to eject the rimless 45 ACP cases with the extractor star.

Tom Herman
12-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi Rick!

The .45 Auto Rim was originally designed by Peters about 1920 or so for use in the 1917 Smith and Colt revolvers with .45 ACP's and half moon clips.
The Auto Rim is designed as a rimmed cartridge for those and similar revolvers using the half moon clips.
The most prominent feature is the very thick rim, which has to take up the room that the .45 ACP and moon clips had between the back of the cylinder and face of the revolver.
All in all, a cool find! Now if you can just find one of those revolvers....

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jhrosier
12-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Rick,
If you don't need that brass, send me a PM with quantity and price.
I just got a S&W M625 and I'm interested.

Jack

NHlever
12-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Though there is no reason to use them in a single action, I don't know if they work in the Blackhawk convertables, or not.....

jhrosier
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Though there is no reason to use them in a single action, I don't know if they work in the Blackhawk convertables, or not.....

Nope, tried it. There's not enough clearance for the rim.
If a person had a huge supply of the auto rim brass, it might be worthwhile to counterbore the .45 ACP cylinder to be able to use the brass. This is assuming that you had the convertable Blackhawk. If you conterbore the 45Colt cylinder, you will no longer be able to use the 45Colt cartridges in it.

Generally speaking, the 45AR is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The 45ACP in moon clips is much better than the 45AR in every respect. I had one old timer tell me that The 45AR would allow you to 'top off' your gun in battle. That seems like a reasonable idea, until I tried it and got an empty case under the extractor star nearly every time.

Jack

MtGun44
12-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Actually, the AR was a solution to a problem AT THAT TIME. The only
clips available were half moon clips which are pretty fragile and easily
bent. The AR brass allowed 'normal' shooting without using the TWO
fragile clips of ammo to reload.

NOW, with the robust and SINGLE piece loading full moon clips, the AR
is not particularly necessary. Ever wonder why almost nobody uses
half moon clips anymore, just full moon clips? Full moon clips are
fantastic, half moon are OK, kinda fragile and a pain in the butt.

Everything has context.

Bill

35remington
12-08-2008, 01:33 AM
"Generally speaking, the 45AR is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist."

Now, in my experience, I have to disagree with that, as any kind of clip, when crudded up a little bit, often didn't fire the rounds occasionally due to "cushiony headspacing"; similarly, when the back of the cylinder got dirty, I started having misfires with my 625-3.

Auto Rim brass? Never. Seems to me to have less springyness in the headspacing. The clips are spring steel, after all. The double action reliability fails before the single action reliability, a little softer hammerblow. The clips get a bit dirty; I shoot a lot of cast bullet loads with a soft wax lubricant. Sue me.

Guess which ones are in the gun for the first six shots in my 625-3? I also have Auto Rim speedloaders, so that should tell you something about what I trust most, clips or Auto Rim.

I've found that the all metal full moon clips sold by the likes of Ranch Products are handy to preload, giving many rounds at the ready. I also don't mind loading and unloading the clips that much.

But, they're prone to bending if handled slightly roughly. Which causes misfires.

Adding a more complex headspacing system with more to fail - the moon clip - to something that was designed to work without it - the revolver - seems a step backward to me, but I fully understand and support exactly why it was done that way. But I like them otherwise. Admittedly, I'm a bit odd.

Dale53
12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I have two 625's that I use a lot. I much prefer using Auto Rim brass for range use. I also can use the RIMZ polymer full moon clips that allow you to reload the clips with your fingers, easily. For "serious" use, the steel full moon clips are the way to go for quick reloads with .45 ACP brass.

I like to celebrate the choices available to me with the 625's. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em...

Dale53

shotman
12-08-2008, 03:29 AM
well since we are here and they dont work for me . I will sell 100 new brass and new Lee dies as a package[dont want to split] for $50 shipped. one or the other is of no use so need to move both as a family. PM me rick

missionary5155
12-08-2008, 05:13 AM
15 Years ago I bought my Colt 1917 (with the holster and a couple full moon clips) from a fine old gentleman. Soon after I came across 50 Rim cases and have happily been using the cases WITHOUT clips. I personaly like the looks of those little stuby revolver boolits.
But in all fairness when we are up there that Colt sits in an easy to reach position with a full mooney close by if needed.

fishhawk
12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
well missionary you better check that colt out and make sure them full moons work in it! from what i know the full moons usaly don't work in the colts just the half moons. steve k