PDA

View Full Version : Is This Good News for Marlin Lovers?

uscra112
09-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Report that Sturm Ruger has acquired the Marlin assets out of the Remington bankruptcy.

https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html

sukivel
09-30-2020, 09:15 PM
I hope...

Marlin Precision Levergun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkummer
09-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Let’s hope.

turtlezx
09-30-2020, 10:18 PM
IT TOOK REMINGTON years to get there lever guns sorted out
See if ruger has the same issues

uscra112
09-30-2020, 11:00 PM
Ruger hasn't got the legacy problems that have crippled the Remington brand. It's still a company steered by engineers. Remington has been run by and for bean counters for decades.

(I could write a book about how the American machine tool industry was destroyed by "management by MBA". The same mindset that is destroying Boeing while we watch.)

Outpost75
09-30-2020, 11:05 PM
I worked in Ruger's engineering department in the 1980s. I know a bit about how they think. When I was with the company it was run by engineers educated at the US Naval Academy, West Point, MIT, Marquette, Oxford, King's College and the Technical University of Munich. I was the odd man out being a 1971 Virginia Tech Hokie.

When Marlin closed its New Haven operation only the modern CNC machinery went to Remington. The older WW2-era machines were all auctioned and most went to Brazil or China. I expect that Ruger is interested mostly in the best modern computerized machinery from Remington, and less in the rights to any existing Remington or Marlin product line. They will do a careful analysis of which product lines can be produced profitably, which will not compete with existing Ruger products. They will avoid the Remington Walker trigger lawsuit guns like the plague. They have no interest in pump shotguns or in .22 rifles which would compete with their existing products.

Ruger will only seek to produce only those Marlin or Remington products to fill niches which enhance their profitability. I see them continuing only the most profitable, high demand items. The others will disappear. I believe that the .357 Mag. 1894 leverguns would survive because they would be strong sellers. Possibly the .44 Magnums and .45-70 hunting rifles, but there is too much foreign competition in the cowboy action market and Ruger is content with their revolver piece of that. They will acquire only the best modern machines which enable them to expand production capacity at Prescott exploiting that added capacity in their existing, most profitable product lines. I see no incentive to revive old ones in which would sell fewer than 50,000 units annually. The profitability simply isn't there.

uscra112
10-01-2020, 12:21 AM
That is a good analysis. As in any takeover of this kind, the hard assets are the always main consideration. Been there myself.

The announcement says that they are taking up only the Marlin product line. None of the Remington branded products. The current Marlin .22s will go certainly. If I were Ruger, I'd buy that line just to shut down the competition. Not that I like it - I'm no fan of the 10/22, but business is business. But it's a shame that younger shooters will never know the pleasure of owning a new, tight, deadly accurate 39a.

Will the custom shop survive? Will there be parts for the zillion or so 39a .22s still around? Parts for the other zillion or so 336s? We can hope.

I'd beg that they produce a .357 Magnum on the less costly 336 platform. I might just justify one more new gun before I shuttle off this mortal coil if they do.

I suppose it would be too much to ask that they restart producing Ballards. . . . . . . . .

sharps4590
10-01-2020, 06:54 AM
I suppose it would be too much to ask that they restart producing Ballards. . . . . . . .

One can only hope....in futility I fear. Perhaps Ruger will continue some of the more popular lever rifles and get them back to some semblance of sleek, svelte and elegant rather than the baseball bats Remington was turning out.

recumbent
10-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Good news

junkbug
10-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Thank you for the insights Outpost. I am certain a few very vocal people will be howling for a 1894 .44 mag, with a 1 to 20” twist. But I would personally bet against it happening. As you said, not enough sustainable demand, and I believe the design just doesn’t have the factor of safety to give everyone with money on the line a “warm and fuzzy feeling “. I hope I am wrong.

mattw
10-01-2020, 09:14 AM
I am afraid the most of the Marlin line and parts will be completely lost to history. I am sure that they will make a lever gun or 2 that they think they can sell, but I think we will be screwed for the good 700 or 40X actions and I suspect that all Marlin parts will just dry up. Now any new "Marlin" will be roll stamped from end to end with Ruger warnings and we will need to expect crap triggers going forward.

Personally, I am happy that I have my 1980 1894 in 357 and my 41 1894.

Ajohns
10-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Rumor has it they're going to come back with the 1894 lever in added - 218 Bee, 25/20, 256 Win, 327 Federal, 32/20, 38 & 44 wcf. 20" barrel round or octagon.
Then, the 96/22 and 44 will be back, the 44 will also have a 357 Bain & Davis round added. 20" medium weight barrel.

Kidding, that's bs. But it would be neat to see them get adventurous

kens
10-01-2020, 09:26 AM
I suppose it would be too much to ask that they restart producing Ballards. . . . . . . .

One can only hope....in futility I fear. Perhaps Ruger will continue some of the more popular lever rifles and get them back to some semblance of sleek, svelte and elegant rather than the baseball bats Remington was turning out.

Now thats a thought......
y'know Ruger has every year some special edition distributed only to select dealers and in limited numbers,
perhaps a Ballard let out as limited edition???
interesting

Cosmic_Charlie
10-01-2020, 09:49 AM
That is a good analysis. As in any takeover of this kind, the hard assets are the always main consideration. Been there myself.

The announcement says that they are taking up only the Marlin product line. None of the Remington branded products. The current Marlin .22s will go certainly. If I were Ruger, I'd buy that line just to shut down the competition. Not that I like it - I'm no fan of the 10/22, but business is business. But it's a shame that younger shooters will never know the pleasure of owning a new, tight, deadly accurate 39a.

Will the custom shop survive? Will there be parts for the zillion or so 39a .22s still around? Parts for the other zillion or so 336s? We can hope.

I'd beg that they produce a .357 Magnum on the less costly 336 platform. I might just justify one more new gun before I shuttle off this mortal coil if they do.

I suppose it would be too much to ask that they restart producing Ballards. . . . . . . . .

I would love to see them make a light weight .357 lever rifle. Smaller receiver, light furniture and a carbon fiber mag tube. Short lever throw too.

farmbif
10-01-2020, 10:25 AM
the bottom line is most important for any business to stay afloat. I guess we will have to wait and see. im wondering if the 39a will ever be produced again, for my own greedy reasons I hope not but then again many youngsters will be missing out if it never comes back. last one I saw in a store wasn't all that nice and not even a mounties was priced at $1295, its probably still there collecting dust. we can only hope they will be successful and produce a quality straight shooting lever gun once again.

Drm50
10-01-2020, 10:31 AM
I have always liked Marlin levers. I never did have much use for Marlin 60 rifle. They were accurate but the feed mechanism left a lot to be desired. I was early cheerleader for 10/22 but the Bean Counters have ruined it too. I never did like Remington post war products. The original Ruger 77s were better guns than Rem 700s, but they too have Bean rash.

The bottom line is there won’t be Marlins made by Ruger or anyone else that equal the JM Marlins made of machined steel. The design may be made but it will be made with modern materials and processes. This is what Henry’s business plan has been, along with good QC & CS makes it work.
Which will work because the new generation of buyers are not interested to much in Levers. It’s the black guns, AR & Ak, gun buster plastic pistols that are selling.

John Boy
10-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Am sure that Ruger developed a business plan before their decision to buy Marlin. And what is in store for Marlin products will be quality to support their reputation of quality Ruger products AND customer service.
One question ... Marlin bought out NEF and H&R ... will they continue to produce
barrels for these rifles? There is a big demand for multi caliber barrels for these single shots. Otherwise the only source will be the used market primarily the same as now because Remington deserted these rifles

dragon813gt
10-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Ruger is only purchasing Marlin. They are not purchasing any Remington IP. So as it stands they are adding lever actions to their product portfolio which they currently don’t produce. It seems like a win for both Ruger and the consumer.

Burnt Fingers
10-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Am sure that Ruger developed a business plan before their decision to buy Marlin. And what is in store for Marlin products will be quality to support their reputation of quality Ruger products AND customer service.
One question ... Marlin bought out NEF and H&R ... will they continue to produce
barrels for these rifles? There is a big demand for multi caliber barrels for these single shots. Otherwise the only source will be the used market primarily the same as now because Remington deserted these rifles

The holding company that owns PSA purchased NEF and H&R.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/09/27/remington-asset-bids/

This details who got what.

It's important to note. Ruger did not get Remington, only Marlin.

FergusonTO35
10-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Cautiously optimistic!!

45r
10-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Marlin leverguns,especially their 45-70's are the best ever made to me.Simple,Very accurate.Easy to disassemble and clean.Ruger knows this and might make them even more accurate with hammer forged barrels.
Hopefully they will have the same quality of the pre remington days of manufacture.

Static line
10-03-2020, 11:03 AM
I'm to old to want anymore guns so I'll just remain happy with my JM Marlins and plink with my old 39A. I do hope Ruger makes a good go at it and at least produces something to enlighten our young hunters coming up.

Thunder Stick
10-03-2020, 02:08 PM
If wishes came true, I'd like to see the 336 offered in every cartridge that was based off of the old 38-55. Like the 25-35, 7-30 Waters, 32 Special, 38-55 and 375 Winchester.

I can dream, can't I?

Tripplebeards
10-03-2020, 04:52 PM
At least with Ruger they’ll be a one-week turnaround time for repairs versus a three months from Remington.

ddixie884
10-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Cautiously optimistic!!

Me too............

Drm50
10-03-2020, 08:43 PM
I don’t think Ruger has announced their intentions as far as what they are going to produce. One thing they are getting is the new hi tech machinery put in to make Marlins. Ruger seems to have better gun savvy than most. You can bet they will only produce guns they think will have hi volume sales. Marlin was known for quality barrels. They made barrels during WW2, don’t know if Ruger will get barrel making equipment or was Rem making barrels for all their lines on Rem machinery. It’s to early to know and anything you hear is rumor or wishful thinking.

Tripplebeards
10-04-2020, 11:16 AM
I’ll still the the JM’s till I see how it goes after a few years with Ruger. I won’t hold my breath to see if the Marlin name still sticks or they end up calling them Ruger levers...or it will be like Mercury and Ford in the 70’s. At lest the Marlin brand isn’t dead in the water yet.

Shawlerbrook
10-04-2020, 11:40 AM
I agree with the cautiously optimistic attitude.

cp1969
10-04-2020, 11:43 AM
I'm not, but if I was in the market for a new lever gun now, I think I'd patronize Henry.

IMO, Ruger is going to have some hiccups building lever guns, at least for awhile. Ruger will change whatever production processes they need to change in order to make Marlin guns fit the Ruger production line, not the other way around. Remington never did get it completely sorted out.

All the modern equipment and all the King's men, couldn't make Marlin firearms again.

Tripplebeards
10-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Pretty sad because I hated lever guns till I shot my JM 336 35 Rem for the first time with cast a few months back. I’m hooked now.levers have been my Achilles‘s heel. I shot and lost a monster buck when I was 13 with a 336 30-30...because of poor shot placement. I also shot a few black bear at long range with a 45-70 guide gun that were never recovered. I even have video of the shots hitting two bear with heart and lung shot placement back on 96’. Neither bear were recovered and zero blood trails. I’ve learned to take closer shots and better shot placements over the decades and my 35 Rem 336 will brake my jinx this year.

Four-Sixty
10-04-2020, 09:13 PM
I would think Ruger would build higher end classic lever guns because it would;
1) Be a direct threat to Henry whose expanding
2) Be a threat to Taurus/Rossi/Braztech who is expanding in the USA
3) compliment their single action lines/cowboy guns
4) offer a more diverse product line after people get burned out on black rifles
5) increase their higher margin offerings

Savvy Jack
10-04-2020, 09:22 PM
So basically you guys will get a Rugerlin

Goldstar225
10-04-2020, 09:58 PM
Hopefully they will continue the 336, 1894, 1895 lines and bring back the 39 as a regular production item (instead of the 39 being custom shop only).

uscra112
10-04-2020, 11:28 PM
I would love to see them make a light weight .357 lever rifle. Smaller receiver, light furniture and a carbon fiber mag tube. Short lever throw too.

^^^^THIS^^^^ As I posted earlier, despite being 75 years old and too crippled with Arthuritis to ever walk the deer woods again, I would buy one just to check it off my bucket list, unless they price it out of all rationality. Even with a moulded plastic stock, I'd buy one.

ddixie884
10-05-2020, 03:30 AM
Me too.............

LinotypeIngot
10-11-2020, 02:46 AM
I would say it's good news. Freedom Group didn't do the gun industry any favors...

smkummer
10-11-2020, 08:00 AM
I would think Ruger would build higher end classic lever guns because it would;
1) Be a direct threat to Henry whose expanding
2) Be a threat to Taurus/Rossi/Braztech who is expanding in the USA
3) compliment their single action lines/cowboy guns
4) offer a more diverse product line after people get burned out on black rifles
5) increase their higher margin offerings

Yep. Ruger should be able to have a price point under inflated prices being asked for quality JM Marlins. For cowboy action shooting, the Marlins sure do takedown easy and generally run without hiccups.

Deadeye Bly
10-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Ruger would not have dropped 30 Million bucks on Marlin if they did not have some plans for it. Ruger's only lever action did not fare so well taking up Marlin may be a good thing. It has been a good business model for 145 years. I think the 39 still is marketable. I would like to see a 20" version like the Mountie except with a square lever. The 336, 1895 and 1894 still have market appeal in this day and age of the AR platform. I'm reminded of the time Mike Venturino went to the Gunsite range with his 38/40 lever action and held his own against the other competitors just to prove a point.

LarryM
10-14-2020, 08:32 PM
From Ruger's website -

September 30, 2020

Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

Whats a better match than a lever action rifle and single action revolver chambered for the same round?
39A & Single Six
1894 & Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk
I'm optimistic.

Texas by God
10-14-2020, 11:57 PM
If they offer a copy of the 336 Texan for $4-500, I'll be interested. Or a 94 in .41 Magnum.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Drm50
10-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Nobody is going to make gun of JM quality. Not practical from price that would be required. Ruger has suffered cost cutting too. They did a good job with investment casting. Then messed with plastic. They had 22 autos locked until they cheapened 10/22. That’s a bread and butter product.
Remington did same thing with 870. They cheapened it to the point that Mossberg is leader in pump shotgun sales.

Burnt Fingers
10-16-2020, 08:41 AM
If they offer a copy of the 336 Texan for $4-500, I'll be interested. Or a 94 in .41 Magnum.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Keep smoking rope.

Did you notice the price of Marlin lever guns in the past few years?