PDA

View Full Version : Buy IMR and Winchester Powder Direct Now

MUSTANG
09-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Received an e-mail indicating that I could buyHodgdon Powders direct now. ( IMR and Winchester Powders "Direct" Now).
You can try "Direct Hodgdon Powder Purchase" at: https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester

Wanted to see what the rates were, so I created a log on/guest user account. Used Ten One Pound containers of Winchester 748 as a sample to see what the rates would be' Got following results:

Order Summary

Winchester 748
10 x Winchester 748
Size 1 lb
$309.50
Subtotal $309.50
Shipping $21.46
Hazmat Fee $19.99
Tax $0.00
Total (USD) $350.95

Bazoo
09-30-2020, 06:21 PM
Pretty steep price.

Dancing Bear
09-30-2020, 06:32 PM
In my state of NY I'd have to add approximately another $25 in sales tax to that invoice.

Winger Ed.
09-30-2020, 06:36 PM
Often, if a factory will sell direct at all, its at a noticeably higher price than anywhere else.
It's to protect their stocking dealers.

Years ago, I worked at a house paint store that had a wall paper section where we'd work with a customer,
co-ordinate their 'decor', blah, blah, blah. After spending a hour or two with them, and they didn't ever buy any:

We found out some wall paper companies were selling direct for less than we could sell the same order.
A little digging around, we found which companies were doing that, then went to our wall paper section,
pulled all of their sample books, and dropped them in the trash.

748 is my favorite for the old AR-rat gun. The last time I bought any was in August, at our local guy.
He's well stocked, but by no means the cheapest place to buy components.
However; no more than I get at a time, its close to break even having it shipped.
Plus, I get instant gratification, and he at least pretends to be glad to see me.

In mid August this year, I got 3 pounds of 748--- at more or less full retail, and it was $27.21 a pound plus 6% state sales tax.

MUSTANG
09-30-2020, 08:15 PM
Their stated prices seem to be the same "Retail" prices as I find at Cabella's or Sportman Ski Haus. I can on occasion find cheaper at Murdochs. Of course; when shipping and Hazmat are added prices do escalate per pound.

Yet; if one can order direct on this site - there may be times when they have supply and others do not. Thought the group might find interesting.

Conditor22
09-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Most manufacturers will charge more than their retailers so they aren't competing with their biggest customers.!!

$35 a pound, I'll pass

dverna
09-30-2020, 09:11 PM
Just checked...Varget is out of stock. Maybe $35/lb would not be out of line right now.