PDA

View Full Version : left hand cva hawkens

444ttd
09-30-2020, 03:17 PM
in a auction, i got a used left hand flintlock in cva hawkens in 50 cal.(1 in 48") it had parts of rust in the barrel but i cleaned it out. boiling water and slivers of dove soap was the first step. tc #13 was the second step. then the outside of the gun was ballistol. i used to use lyman lh flintlock deerstalker in 50 cal(i still have it). the lyman product control was asleep when i bought it in the early '90s. i "fixed" her up and shot several deer with it(patched round ball with 80gr of ffg) but in my mind, it was a piece of crap.

8 or so years ago(i had a stroke) i gave up on the lyman and she's sitting there in my safe. i was going to get the lyman out this year in PA flintlock season, but now i won't. i got some pure lead, cast iron pot, coleman stove and a maxi ball mould(which i never used). i casted up some boolits and the next day i pan lubed them(16oz of beeswax, 16oz of crisco and 2 or 3 tablespoons of lanolin). i was going to shoot it to season the barrel but the blowing wind don't like the idea:-D. besides, archery starts saturday.

since i want to shoot maxi balls, i wondering if you ever a wad(pre lube or dry) or just plain shot them?

flyingmonkey35
09-30-2020, 03:23 PM
If youd like to sell that riflel i know a good home for it. As im a lefty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

crandall crank
10-01-2020, 08:56 AM
I've never shot a left handed rifle, so my answers might be backwards :) When I shoot maxi-balls (my TC Renegade loves them), I just lube between the bands and load OVER the powder. Shooting the maxi-balls was not good for me, harder to load and harder to clean, plus I only use loose powder in the Renagade.

444ttd
10-01-2020, 12:33 PM
i use loose powder too. i have used the maxi balls in the tc encore muzzleloader with "pressed" powder, but i never shot a deer with it. it was easy to load and clean, maybe because of the breech plug(which the cva doesn't have)? i was using wonder lube (i wonder why i even bother:lol:), now i use crisco, beeswax and lanolin(subject to change, it was the only things i had available).

flyingmonkey35
10-01-2020, 01:44 PM
I have only ever shot round ball out of my muzzell loaders.

Powder pillow ticking patch then ball

I use a damp patch ussaly dawndish soap water and lannion.

Makes its easy to go down and cleanse it as well.

444ttd
10-01-2020, 02:13 PM
I have only ever shot round ball out of my muzzell loaders.

Powder pillow ticking patch then ball

I use a damp patch ussaly dawndish soap water and lannion.

Makes its easy to go down and cleanse it as well.

thats all i used to do, patch and ball and some faulkenberry juice(discontinued in the early '90s) and then i used boiling water and slivers of dove hand soap. faulkenberry juice(fj) was a God send. when the water and soap is done, then fj is used to clean out the bore. fj and patches - i put them in a sandwich bag(few drops of fj) , shake it around and i have fj patches. put a few drops of fj on a rag and then go outside of the gun. and then the company was no more, i cried. https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/liquid-wonder-lube-8-oz-bottle/ i gotta try this, fj was a pink type water? substance, i've used almost everything since fj was discontinued, i might as well do rmc liquid.