PDA

View Full Version : Johnson's liquid was -vs- Johnson's paste wax ?

larryw
09-30-2020, 02:40 AM
Greetings, I have a tall yellow can of Johnson's liquid wax.
Is this the same as the JPW ?
I might be mistaken but, I seem to recall hearing that
the Johnson's liquid wax was also used in a bullet lube
recipe with Alox. If this is correct, is it just a straight
50-50 mix with Alox ?
Does it need to be heated up while mixing ?
Does it still dry & become non-sticky ?
Which is considered better, liquid or paste ?
All information & advice greatly appreciated,
Thanks. Take care & be safe...Larry

Gewehr-Guy
09-30-2020, 06:24 AM
look up Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL) in the stickies, and there are many pages of info. The recipe is 60% liquid alox, and 40% Johnsons liquid wax.The stuff works great for me.

GhostHawk
09-30-2020, 07:12 AM
Johnson's liquid (one step) is some good magic mixed with alox.

Does not take much. For pistol or low velocity Rifle 2 very light coats will do.

For higher velocity I go to 3 coats.

A round or semi round container of some kind with a snap lid and a small fan and your in business.

At 2 coats cast boolits are just starting to look "Fuzzy" at 3 you can detect a slight color change to light tan.

That is all you need.

After my last coat I spill them onto a cardboard flat, sit in front of a fan and they can be loaded in 15-30 minutes.

I also like 1-2% carnuba wax in my BLL. Either from Johnson's paste wax or buy some straight carnuba flakes.
Your bores will love you for it. Also it drys to a hard shell finish, no sticky bullets.

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2020, 08:43 AM
look up Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL) in the stickies, and there are many pages of info. The recipe is 60% liquid alox, and 40% Johnsons liquid wax.The stuff works great for me.

You left out the mineral spirits. Since Johnson’s liquid wax is no longer available Lundmark has been substituted. Been using BLL for many years with great success.

dragon813gt
09-30-2020, 09:27 AM
You left out the mineral spirits. Since Johnson’s liquid wax is no longer available Lundmark has been substituted.
The OP is using the original Johnson’s wax so mineral spirits is not needed.

HiVelocity
09-30-2020, 10:55 AM
larryw-

Your can of Johnson's Liquid Wax is great stuff; the original recipe for "60/40" if I remember correctly was 60% Alox/Xlox mixed with 40% Johnson's liquid wax. Its what I currently use.

HV

fcvan
09-30-2020, 11:09 AM
The only time I have used Johnson's liquid was for hot glue boolits. The last time I used any liquid lube was Alox/Mineral spirits for a 300 BO boolits, and I was surprised it worked so well. I PC everything now so even my Lyman hasn't seen any use since 2012.

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Ben has changed the formula a couple of times.

Ben posted on Sept. 25th, 2016 on the thread at that site a formula of;

30% Lundmark liq. wax
30% Xlox
40% solvent ( mineral spirits )

So it would appear there was an earlier formula and then a revised formula that was posted here and there as well, and I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

dragon813gt
09-30-2020, 03:20 PM
The OP has a can of Johnson’s Liquid Wax. He does not have a can of Lundmark Liquid wax. The new formula is not needed. It was adjusted for the Lundmark wax which the OP does not have.

larryw
09-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Everyone, thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it.
Mixed up a batch of BLL 60/40 & lubbed a bunch
of boolits for 45 Colt today. Dry as a bone, no mule snot sticky at all. Thanks again everybody.
Take care & be safe...

dimaprok
10-02-2020, 11:45 PM
look up Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL) in the stickies, and there are many pages of info. The recipe is 60% liquid alox, and 40% Johnsons liquid wax.The stuff works great for me.I am pretty sure the original BLL formula was 50-50 not 60-40.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

lolbell
10-03-2020, 08:37 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

Original linc from Ben himself says 60 alox and 40 JOHNSONS liquid wax, which is what the OP has.

Martin Luber
10-03-2020, 10:23 AM
So where do you get alox these days?

dragon813gt
10-03-2020, 10:44 AM
You can buy X-Lox through White Label Lubes. May have to add mineral spirits to make it the same consistency as branded Alox.

Martin Luber
10-03-2020, 10:13 PM
I thought Lars said it was discontinued...maybe he has a good supply?

dragon813gt
10-04-2020, 07:31 AM
350 has been discontinued. But he still has stock of it. So buy it now if you need it. He’s also getting samples of a replacement so there will eventually be another comparable version for sale.

dimaprok
10-06-2020, 06:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

Original linc from Ben himself says 60 alox and 40 JOHNSONS liquid wax, which is what the OP has.

Ok, thanks. About 3-4 years ago I read entire thread! Funny how memory is playing tricks on me as I was certain it was 50-50, I believe that's how I mixed mine. It's the first time I am seeing graphics as few years back when Photobucket quit working you couldn't see any old posts with pictures in it which was frustrating. The ironic thing is I was so determined to find Johnson liquid wax yellow can, I searched everywhere and then one day a member here after talking to him just sent me one :) as a gift, I was so excited and .... I hardly used it LOL, I still prefer powder coat. I am going to start using for subsonic 300 blk though and compare to PC.

Irascible
10-14-2020, 01:57 PM
The best thing about Ben's LL is the first shot out of a clean barrel it will be VERY close to the rest of a group.