PDA

View Full Version : Lee auto prime

HeavyMetal
12-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Here's a hot one!

I have a Lee priming tool, can't remember when I bought it, but it has provided me with years of service.

Tonight it failed me for the first time!:(

Here's the story: A new kid at work had his dad give him a Weatherby Mark 5 in 300 win mag.

Kids never shot it and would like to. I found a set of rcbs dies in the for sale section for a good price and told the kid I'd load him a few rounds to try the gun out.

Cleaned them , sized and deprimed, reamed the primer pockets and de burred the flashole as well as trimmed to length.

Cool case's are ready to prime and load!

Crank out the auto prime and a case won't go in the shell holder???

Double check shell holder number, I have the whole set from Lee so I thought I got the wrong shell holder out. Nope number 5 is correct.

Pulled shell holder from the auto prime to check for burrs or bent ends. Nope everything straight. Maybe a bad case?

Take a second case and try it in the shell holder, fits right in! Cool!

Put the shell holder back in the auto prime and tried to put the case in and prime it, NO GO!:confused::???:
Some more examining and I realize it's not a shell holder problem the mouth of the auto prime is hitting the "belt" on the 300 case's and prevent it from entering the shell holder!

Guess I'll have to get the old Dremel out and open the case mouth area so I can prime these monsters!

Doesn't look like it will be more than a few thousandths a side just thought it was funny and I'd see if anyone else had the issue!

Jon K
12-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Yup, been there, I had the same thing, got the Weatherby on a trade. At the time, I had both Lee and RCBS hand primer tools, so I used the RCBS, when the Lee didn't work. I have since sold the RCBS, cause I just feel more comfortable with the Lee(been using it since around 1970) and have worn out a lot of parts.

I would probably do like you said "grind to fit" if I was faced with that situation again. Lee shellholders are cheap, even if you screw one up.

Jon

skeet1
12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I've been loading for 40 years and only 5 years ago bought a used Lee priming tool at a junk shop. I never realized how good they were and will never be without one.

Skeet1

oneokie
12-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Yep, BTDT also.

BRYAN
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a weatherby 300 mag and with the first case in my lee auto prime i made the same discovery. I cured it with a dremel tool in about 30 seconds. Mine has been in use about twenty years and if it fails I will get another one.

Echo
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I have 3 Lee old-style primer-putters, one set up for .38/.357, another set up for .45ACP/30-06/whatever, and the third for anything else. Use them all the time when I just have a few (<50) to prime. Would not part with any of them.

largom
12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I have two, one for large and one for small primers. I have heard some complain about parts breaking but mine have been in service for 25 years and not one problem.
Larry

Hardcast416taylor
12-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I had heard or read some place not to use Federal primers in the LEE Auto prime due to sensativity to the ram pressure. I found out myself about 10 yrs. ago seating small pistol primers in .38 spcl. cases. After the third primer went off while seating them, I went to Winch. primers- haven`t had one go off since. :confused: Robert

jonk
12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I too have had a lee auto prime disc that SHOULD have accepted a given cartridge, but didn't- and yes, the dremel solved that.

ddeaton
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I have 2 of them set up for large and small primers. I have had shell holder issues myself with some brands of brass. I used a little larger than called for shell holder for 223 Lapua brass. I was going to dremmel the holder a little, just too lazy.