PDA

View Full Version : Does God expect us to be charitable?

dtknowles
09-29-2020, 12:08 AM
Does God expect us to help our fellow humans?

Does God expect us to preserve the habitat and wildlife God created?

What does God think about people who put themselves first and everything else second?

Tim

Thundarstick
09-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Answer to one and three.

Gal 6:7-10
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

JimB..
09-29-2020, 09:06 AM
I’m not sure that any eternal all-knowing God would have expectations in any way that we can comprehend. I believe that we have free will, but I believe that God knows the future, so he’d have nothing like expectations.

Not to totally duck your question, I think it’s clear that God has instructed us to be be helpful to others and to use his creation wisely.

For your third question he probably sees a self centered person is a sinner, just like everyone else.

1hole
09-29-2020, 09:47 AM
The answers to some contrived "questions" are so foolishly self evident that even asking them is a sign of smug intellectual gaming and deceit. Does that make asking them a sin of pride? And, does God expect the rest of us to play that kind of game?

bakerjw
09-29-2020, 10:10 AM
We should all be good stewards of our world and help anyone in need.
But we should also be prudent with our aid.
A street person tells you that they are hungry? Offer to buy them breakfast or lunch. If they aren't interested, then they are not hungry.

frkelly74
09-29-2020, 11:28 AM
In the last half of Matthew chapter 25 Jesus talks about being Charitable. and what happens if you aren't. I read it to say yes you better be.

We are put on earth to take care of His creation and we will benefit from our efforts.

In the sermon on the mount Jesus says those who are first will later be last and the meek will inherit the earth.

dtknowles
09-29-2020, 01:52 PM
It is not deep theological thinking to quote the bible. That is rote learning. Look inside yourself. Feel your conscience, what does it tell you about charity? What does it tell you about what we are doing to this planet? Use your God given conscience don't just rely on what is written in a book. You can twist phrases in a book around to support any number of ideas but if you are sane, you conscience does not lie.

Tim

Hogtamer
09-29-2020, 03:37 PM
You are a master at twisting phrases Tim and cannot see truth when it's before your eyes. My conscience is what I make it to be. If you spent half as much time reading the Bible trying to understand God's word as you did exposing your ignorance on this forum trying to impress people with your self inflicted godlessness, God might grant you wisdom sufficient to repent and be saved. If and until then you might be surprised at who is praying for that very thing.

dtknowles
09-29-2020, 04:33 PM
You are a master at twisting phrases Tim and cannot see truth when it's before your eyes. My conscience is what I make it to be. If you spent half as much time reading the Bible trying to understand God's word as you did exposing your ignorance on this forum trying to impress people with your self inflicted godlessness, God might grant you wisdom sufficient to repent and be saved. If and until then you might be surprised at who is praying for that very thing.

If your conscience is what you made it then you have damaged yourself. You or someone has brainwashed you. The natural conscience of a sane person has clear proper perceptions of real right and real wrong. Some people do start brainwashing children at a young age and often this results in a crisis of conscience when their natural conscience does not align with what they are being taught. I think even the brainwashed if they are sane still have a natural conscience it is just suppressed. I think a person can break through that suppression if they just open their mind to their natural conscience. Haven't you ever felt joy in helping someone and felt bad for hurting someone? You don't have to be trained to feel that way, it is natural. Actually if you don't feel that way you are insane, a sociopath or psychopath. Sometimes it seems we are training people to be sociopaths, to care only about themselves.

Tim

1hole
09-29-2020, 05:20 PM
If your conscience is what you made it then you have damaged yourself. You or someone has brainwashed you.

Anyone who stoutly proclaims "I believe .... " and then lists a recounting of what they "believe" with no more evidence than their own musings has brain washed themselves. We Christians have a much better deal than that.

Most of Christian's contributions go directly to helping people. Most of non-Christian's contributions go directly to "liberal" social and political groups, or other temporal causes. That's really not much of a moral contest is it?

.429&H110
09-29-2020, 10:53 PM
"If I were God..."
"Why does God..."
"Does God expect..."
are all variations on the original lie
"Did God really say?"

You get to ask Him when you meet Him.
Until then, read the owner's manual.
Find out what all the buttons do.
Choose which one to push.
One might be the decocker
One might be the safety
One might be the mag release
One might be the slide release
How would you know?
Push the buttons, find out?
I pushed a few, found out,
no!! golly! then I read the manual.
Got some expert help with the thing.
I do enjoy a mixed metaphor.
God expects me to serve Him.
Not difficult at all, He loves me.
Where's your joy?

dtknowles
09-29-2020, 11:15 PM
God expects me to serve Him.
Not difficult at all, He loves me.
Where's your joy?

Where's your joy? Deeply rooted in my conscience. When I do what my conscience says is good, I am joyous. As God designed. God does not expect me to serve God, God expects me to serve my fellow humans.

Tim

.429&H110
09-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Went door to door 50 years repairing stuff, serving the fellow humans. They just keep buying more stuff to be fixed. No joy, it won't stay fixed. God doesn't change, wants me to serve, feed His sheep. Here in the Village we have lost old people. Their dogs lead them home. Fellowship, word of God, repairs the hole in their hearts their wives husbands kids have ripped. All they have is a dog. Serve God: He Said- Feed My sheep. I believe this cannot be done without a Bible reading independent Baptist church. I cannot do this alone. John was Baptizing when Jesus came along. Lately we have been told to wash our hands. Wash all of you. Repent Redeem Renew.
Works for me.
The Renew part is my joy.
YMMV

dtknowles
09-30-2020, 12:15 AM
Went door to door 50 years repairing stuff, serving the fellow humans. They just keep buying more stuff to be fixed. No joy, it won't stay fixed. God doesn't change, wants me to serve, feed His sheep. Here in the Village we have lost old people. Their dogs lead them home. Fellowship, word of God, repairs the hole in their hearts their wives husbands kids have ripped. All they have is a dog. Serve God: He Said- Feed My sheep. I believe this cannot be done without a Bible reading independent Baptist church. I cannot do this alone. John was Baptizing when Jesus came along. Lately we have been told to wash our hands. Wash all of you. Repent Redeem Renew.
Works for me.
The Renew part is my joy.
YMMV

.429, I am sure you are a joy to God and the Universe. Keep reading the bible. There is joy for all. Love you dude.

Tim

.429&H110
10-01-2020, 12:38 AM
James 1:26

If any man among you seem
to be religious, and bridleth
not his tongue but deceiveth
his own heart, this man's
religion is vain.
Pure religion and undefiled
before God and the Father
is this, to visit the fatherless