PDA

View Full Version : Shippping J-words and boolits vis USPS

40-82 hiker
09-28-2020, 01:31 AM
A friend is to ship me some boolits and J-words via USPS, but he is wanting to make sure it is an accepted way to ship via USPS. I'm cross-eyed trying to "find" the answer to this on USPS website. So, is this okay to do (pretty sure)? Certainly they are inert (sic, non-explosive). I want to confirm for the both of us this is okay to do. I can't keep up with the changes to regs...

Given if it is still okay to ship USPS, what is the best way to answer the question "what is in the box"? Don't think "J-words" or "boolits" will work with the snowflakes behind the counter. Weird world these days!

Thanks

trails4u
09-28-2020, 01:36 AM
Yes. Completely legal... 'copper fittings' or 'lead fittings'

40-82 hiker
09-28-2020, 01:49 AM
Thank you for the response.

Winger Ed.
09-28-2020, 02:18 AM
Make sure they are well packed, doubled plastic bags in at least one box.

Stories abound where shipments of them have busted open.
Whatever didn't fall out of the box gets taped up & sent on.
They aren't going to spend any time rounding up whatever got scattered out on the floor.

Bloodman14
09-28-2020, 02:30 AM
"metal fittings", yes. Loaded ammo, NO!! Went to ship a replica BP revolver some years ago; '51 Colt Navy, USPS type behind the counter almost blew a gasket. Had to show her the USPS regs on shipping 'antiques', another person actually called a local gunsmith type to get the lowdown on shipping. 1st person wanted to call the local cops and have me arrested. Told her to go ahead, I would wait.

Conditor22
09-28-2020, 02:54 AM
I just say it's not hazardous, it's none of their business what it is IF it's not against their rules.

dragon813gt
09-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Make sure they are well packed, doubled plastic bags in at least one box.
No plastic bags. They can and do break even when double bagged. Best bet is to use Tyvek envelopes. They can withstand the rigors of travel w/ weight in them.

phantom22
09-28-2020, 06:47 AM
I like to use the food save bags that can be vacuum sealed. Then ship in a box with lots of padding. This way the stuff doesn't roll around. Those bags are fairly tough. Even if they do lose their vacuum, they are usually strong enough not to tear open.

10-x
09-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Depending on box size, cut extra heavy duty cardboard to fit In side mailing box, tape and retape this “inner box” for extra insurance of any rough handling by shippers. Have mailed Pb and foundry type and other “ heavy items” this way, no problems. All I’ve been asked is “ there anything fragile or dangerous/ hazardous “ in box, then push green button??? on the little screen. Just remember the term “ widgetts” if they ask whats inside, LOL.

William Yanda
09-28-2020, 07:55 AM
No plastic bags. They can and do break even when double bagged. Best bet is to use Tyvek envelopes. They can withstand the rigors of travel w/ weight in them.

Plus a bunch on the above advise. And they are free, available at most Post Office Lobbys.

bakerjw
09-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Are we taking about the bullet itself or loaded cartridges?

and J-words??? I am at loss on what that is.

phantom22
09-28-2020, 08:25 AM
J-Words are jacketed bullets.

15meter
09-28-2020, 08:28 AM
I ship rifle and pistol brass, jacketed and cast bullets on a regular basis in USPS flat rate box.

You have to answer a question about fragile, liquid or flammable and it's a yes/no question, that's it on questions other than will $50 in insurance cover it or do you want more.

Local post office bends over backwards to be helpful. They know I'm shipping reloading stuff have been helpful ever time.

I'll be shipping out a box with 6.5 Creedmoor brass and a bunch of 6.5 bullets this morning. Don't expect any issues.

And J-words are jacketed bullets, not supposed to be mention them on a cast boolits site.

15meter
09-28-2020, 08:28 AM
:popcorn:

Nothing to see here, move along.........

frkelly74
09-28-2020, 08:35 AM
''Ohhhh, that sure is a heavy package you got there ! What's in it? ...... Lead?'' they say. I say, ''yep . '' Not live ammo, not primers or powder. not hazardous as in capable of blowing up and not more than 70 pounds in a flat rate box. Given that's true, you should be good to go. Pack well an use lots of tape. You can also nest boxes inside each other and tape the livin daylights out of both layers. You do not have to volunteer any info beyond the check mark on the touch screen. Any extra info may just serve to freak out the democrat voting worker behind the counter.

wwmartin
09-28-2020, 08:38 AM
I scrounge the waste basket at the range for the empty bullet trays and cover the open end with cardboard and tape it on to prevent damage.
Bill

Joe504
09-28-2020, 10:14 AM
Tyvek bags for the win.

Fill any void spaces with cardboard.

Cover entire box with strapping tape.

That's the best, safest method.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeJames
09-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Mailed a box of Hornady XTP 44 Cal. 240 grain j-word pistol bullets last week in a flat rate box. Answered the question "fragile, liquid or flammable and it's a yes/no question", Ans. No. No problem.

lightman
09-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Brass, bullets, both cast and jacketed and lead are ok to mail. The items are heavy so package it well, as posted above.

Shopdog
09-28-2020, 02:07 PM
"Joe Biden" campaign buttons... or some equally ignorant liberal purveyance.

Sorry,just picked up a dz aluminum arrows from post office. DO NOT BEND,emblazoned in several easy to see locations. Box was mangled..... post master says he doesn't know how it happened. Just a dang shame,so pack your goods to be handled by untrained gorillas. Good luck.

MaryB
09-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Use the online shipping, print label, attach to box, have post man pick it up from my front porch... never deal with the dweebs in the office!

Omega
09-28-2020, 02:48 PM
A friend is to ship me some boolits and J-words via USPS, but he is wanting to make sure it is an accepted way to ship via USPS. I'm cross-eyed trying to "find" the answer to this on USPS website. So, is this okay to do (pretty sure)? Certainly they are inert (sic, non-explosive). I want to confirm for the both of us this is okay to do. I can't keep up with the changes to regs...

Given if it is still okay to ship USPS, what is the best way to answer the question "what is in the box"? Don't think "J-words" or "boolits" will work with the snowflakes behind the counter. Weird world these days!

Thanks
No need to tell them anything, have him use a flat rate box (best way) and they will only ask if there is anything dangerous, flammable or perishable, which they are not in their current condition.

Parson
09-28-2020, 03:44 PM
Wish I could post picture of what they did to my last flat rate box, had to be deliberate

frkelly74
09-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Sometimes the label is viewed as a challenge maybe?

Burnt Fingers
09-28-2020, 04:37 PM
There's no reason to lie to the USPS.

It's perfectly legal to ship bullets. How do you think all the commercial casters ship?

Of course you have to be smart enough to know the difference between bullet and cartridge.

KYCaster
09-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Tyvec bag, free from the PO, extra tape on the flap. Destination address on the Tyvec.
Tyvec bag inside a small FRB, fill any extra space with packing peanuts or similar, destination address on the small FRB.
Six small FRB will fit in a medium FRB. Fill unused slots with empty small FRB.
Extra tape as needed.

Works for me.
Jerry

fcvan
09-29-2020, 12:02 AM
A member here wanted to try a boolit mold I had. He sent me 10 pounds of muffin lead ingots, I sent him back 5 pounds of cast powder coated beauties. I didn't use enough tape. The USPS put the box in a bin and delivered the boolits. I got a picture in an email, never maid that mistake twice.

jsizemore
09-29-2020, 01:06 AM
I double bag with the Tyvek bags from the PO. Make sure everything is SNUG when you pack it inside the box. Too much and it bulges. Too loose and it bangs around inside the box and tears it apart. Perfectly legal to send in a flat rate box as long as you don't go over 70lbs. I double wrap the entire outer surface with clear shipping tape to reinforce and to give it some water resistance. I've shipped a bunch of lead and pewter with nary a lose. I know, you ain't got to do all that but 100% of my packages have made it intact. One member said my package of 65lbs of lead made it to California and rolled end over end up the sidewalk to his front door by the mail lady. I'm gonna keep up the double tape and double bag.

BrassMagnet
09-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Yes! Do this!
Also, address the tyvex bag and even double or triple bag with tyvex. The Tyvex bags are free from the post office.
I also recommend that you do not insure and use filament tape to reinforce the box and tape over the shipping label with clear packaging tape. Ensure there is glue on the back of the shipping label as just tape over it will allow their machinery to rip the label off a heavy box.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2020, 12:49 PM
First, when answering questions at the post office, it's best to give the simplest, shortest, honest answer.

Usually they just ask if it's hazardous? (the actual question is long and includes many things they think are hazardous), when I give them the answer, "It's NOT hazardous"...the questioning usually ends.

Now, if I were asked about what's in the package (if it's cast boolits and the box is heavy), I would tell them "Lead".
I doubt they will ever ask a follow up question, if you give an answer that is simple and short...they like simple and short.

Lastly, like Burnt Fingers says, "It's perfectly legal to ship bullets"...so if the questioning were to continue, just tell them "projectiles", because using the word bullets may be misunderstood as ammunition to someone who isn't firearm knowledgeable. At that point, if they are that curious, you can give them a lesson on what cast boolits are.

Stewbaby
09-29-2020, 01:15 PM
...and the reason we use that is because on a cast boolit forum, the J word is a cuss word LOL