PDA

View Full Version : Bees wax price check

metricmonkeywrench
09-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Ran across a local beekeeper who sells the wax on the side. In today’s market is $12 a pound for clean and $8lb for semi-clean sound worth pursuing?

I’m planning on mixing some Home made up for BP and Smokeless from the stickies

Mal Paso
09-27-2020, 05:42 PM
That's about what I paid last time. You can check with Randyrat in VS and see if he has some too.

GregLaROCHE
09-27-2020, 07:52 PM
Since the the recent crisis of many honey bees dying off, the price of bees wax has gone way up. I used to enjoy having parties with only candlelight. Now bee’s wax candles are too expensive and I don’t like the fast burning paraffin ones. I’ve switched to kerosene lamps. Anyway, I stock up on bee’s wax whenever I see it reasonably priced. It’s probably only going to get more expensive.

Lead pot
09-27-2020, 08:52 PM
Soy wax is a good carrier for lube, better yet Ozokerite wax is better then B or Soy wax.

brewer12345
09-27-2020, 10:04 PM
As a beekeeper who has had the hardest year yet, if you need beeswax grab it when you see wax offered at a reasonable price. I am wondering how long this will remain a viable hobby, and in years past I used to sell excess bees to other beekeepers.

Dusty Bannister
09-27-2020, 10:37 PM
The soy wax seems to dry out faster than bees wax. Perhaps it is just the recipe I used. Not sure I can find the records on that any more.

la5676
09-27-2020, 10:45 PM
As a beekeeper who has had the hardest year yet, if you need beeswax grab it when you see wax offered at a reasonable price. I am wondering how long this will remain a viable hobby, and in years past I used to sell excess bees to other beekeepers.
What do you mean a viable hobby? Am I making any money at it, no. If that's what you meant, it will likely fade as a hobby. I don't do it so much as a hobby, but more so I know what I am getting. Unless you buy honey from local bee keepers, the honey one buys in most stores now is devoid of any pollens and the stuff that would be good for ya. It's all heated and strained to take out odd colors, for consistency in marketing.

GregLaROCHE
09-28-2020, 01:36 AM
What do you mean a viable hobby? Am I making any money at it, no. If that's what you meant, it will likely fade as a hobby. I don't do it so much as a hobby, but more so I know what I am getting. Unless you buy honey from local bee keepers, the honey one buys in most stores now is devoid of any pollens and the stuff that would be good for ya. It's all heated and strained to take out odd colors, for consistency in marketing.

Unfortunately, honey has just become another processed food.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-28-2020, 09:26 AM

My best friend is a vegetable farmer and keeps a half dozen hives, mostly for pollination. He does sell raw honey at the farmers market. Since the CCD started about a decade ago, he just plans to replace the bees every year. He had a couple lean years where honey production was low enough where there was no profit and probably some financial loss. He has gotten smarter about the harvest of honey with this CCD and Minnesota's cold winter and he has raised his prices to what the market will bare and he no longer sells "bulk" (at reduced price) to his large customers, so has made a reasonable profit each of the last few years...but no where near the profit he had before CCD.
This is the first year he has had enough wax to sell, he sells a well cleaned 3 oz cube at the farmer's market for $4 each.

GregLaROCHE
09-28-2020, 01:29 PM
With prices at over a dollar an once, I think more and more people will be switching to powder coating.

farmbif
09-28-2020, 03:16 PM
last time I bought beeswax was long ago I got a 10lb block for I think it was $20, but still got a 5 gallon bucket of honey comb I haven't squeezed out yet from when I had my own bee hives

Mal Paso
09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
With prices at over a dollar an once, I think more and more people will be switching to powder coating.

It takes so little Bees Wax to lube a bullet it would still likely be cheaper at $2 an oz. I've used a pound in the last 4 years.

kreuzlover
10-05-2020, 12:11 PM
I bought my last beeswax at Hobby Lobby. 16oz for 12.95, mixed it with Valvoline synthetic high pressure grease, with moly & lithium. So, I have close to two pounds of premium cast bullet lube for around 25 dollars, total. It should last me a LONG time.

Pirate69
10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Check the Swappin & Sellin forum for beeswax.

10-14-2020, 09:57 AM
It takes so little Bees Wax to lube a bullet it would still likely be cheaper at $2 an oz. I've used a pound in the last 4 years.

Ebay is where I get my bees wax. Dozens of sellers. It's available in blocks or pellets. Filtered. Not filtered. White or yellow. $10 a pound will buy you very, very nice wax delivered. A couple of the sellers are bee keepers. I try to support them as opposed to a reseller. I just bought 5lbs to go with the 4lbs I already have on hand. A little bit will last for years and years. I even flux my lead pot with it.

Here is the listing I bought from. I hope this doesn't violate any rules. I don't mean to.

NO EBAY LINKS, EVER

jorg0370
10-21-2020, 09:21 PM
I ran into a listing a week ago from a local apiary selling filtered yellow wax for $6 a pound. The catch was that I had to buy it in 40 pound blocks.

I passed on the deal, but the thought of partitioning and reselling it crossed my mind.

Minerat
10-21-2020, 10:07 PM
I got 15# unfiltered last year for a $1.00 per pound. I then cleaned it using the water bath t-shirt filter method and after 3 melts and filtering I netted about 13.5#s yellow wax, 200 ground bees where I dumped the castings in the flower bed :groner: and 20 sqft of fire starter rags.

Geezer in NH
11-10-2020, 05:55 PM
I have used this many times under $10 per pound delivered

https://www.amazon.com/Stakich-Pure-Yellow-Beeswax-Block/dp/B07BX16Q2P/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=bee%27s+wax&qid=1605045164&sr=8-20-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQklYQUExRkJMTk9CJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYzMjA0VTVMMENXV0tTSUwyJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MzQxNzExVllYNDVRUDNVNUVYJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

metricmonkeywrench
11-10-2020, 07:18 PM
All set for a while, I ended up picking up 2 1lb blocks of the clean stuff, I just haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet.

I really didn’t mind paying a bit extra in support of a local fellow.

Wayne Smith
11-11-2020, 07:44 PM
I got 15# unfiltered last year for a $1.00 per pound. I then cleaned it using the water bath t-shirt filter method and after 3 melts and filtering I netted about 13.5#s yellow wax, 200 ground bees where I dumped the castings in the flower bed :groner: and 20 sqft of fire starter rags.

You counted the bees!?? I made three attempts to destroy a ground yellow jacket nest, finally sprayed it at night with the wasp killer spray and then dumped five gallons of soapy water down the hole. Haven't seen any since.

Big Ben
11-13-2020, 12:02 AM
I saw a big block for $5/lb a while back and thought it was too high...guess I should have bought it. :(

wjhendo
11-27-2020, 09:09 PM
Today I paid $14 for 1 lb of beeswax pellets at Hobby Lobby. Paraffin was $4.95 for a lb.

Dusty Bannister
11-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Watch garage and yard sales for partially consumed seasonal candles. Watch the S&S for bees wax. It does come up from time to time. When you have 30 posts of substance, place the want to buy add for the wax you might be looking for.

Pirate69
11-29-2020, 10:26 AM
I have pure beeswax at very reasonable prices. PM me if interested.

Homebrew
12-02-2020, 09:27 AM
As a Beekeeper that is a fair price as it hard to even break even with this hobby.

Pirate69
12-05-2020, 09:20 AM
I have been selling the pellets for $6 per pound.

Today I paid $14 for 1 lb of beeswax pellets at Hobby Lobby. Paraffin was $4.95 for a lb.

Ohio Rusty
01-03-2021, 01:24 PM
Hi Wayne Smith .. My cat like to sleep in the bathroom sink also. (lol) I had the same issue with the yellowjacket beasties last year and poured gasoline in two nests and that took care of that. Last year I came across some white beeswax pellets in pint canning jars at a yard sale. I've never seen white beeswax but I assume it works the same as the yellow wax. You can find beeswax candles in the thrift stores, I buy them up for later use.
Ohio Rusty ><>