PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show in Salina, Kansas

richhodg66
09-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Went today and there's quite a bit of reloading components for a show that small, including primers and I didn't see any real price gouging going on. One guy selling primers for $45 a thousand, had a lot.

If you're local to it, it's a nice little show, lots of old stuff.

farmbif
09-26-2020, 09:20 PM
that sounds good. local to me on arms list sm primers $150/1000

richhodg66
09-26-2020, 09:44 PM
It's not in the Bicentennial center anymore, one of the buildings on the fairgrounds there.

Hogtamer
09-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Salina, home of Bob Dole, right? Got a speeding ticket on the interstate ther for doing 70 mph in 1979. You see could see 50 miles in either direction. But Salina's finest needed some revenue I guess. Was headed to Greely CO duck and pheasant hunting.

richhodg66
09-26-2020, 10:32 PM
Turns out there was one in downtown Wichita this weekend as well. I probably should have gone to that one.

DougGuy
09-26-2020, 10:47 PM
Salina has a town motto: Come on vacation, leave on probation.

exile
09-26-2020, 11:04 PM
Actually Bob Dole was born in Russell, KS., population 4,463.

exile

abunaitoo
09-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Glad to hear shows still going on in some places.
Ours got canceled by the city.
They cancel our show, but allow marches.
Go figure.
Even if we did have it, I'm not sure I would have had my tables.
Can't have a mask on for more than a short time.
It gives me a pounding headache.

Huskerguy
09-28-2020, 10:21 PM
I live in Salina but had to be out of town so missed the show. Things were different last year but I picked up several reloading items at very reasonable prices.

This coming weekend is Herrington (45 minutes), Topeka (1.75 hours) and Hastings, NE (3.5 hours). Never been to Topeka or Herrington but have made the Hastings show many times.

richhodg66
09-28-2020, 10:26 PM
The Herrington show is one of my favorites. Haven't been to the Topeka one in a while, but used to fairly often.

Thanks for the tip about Herrington, I hadn't heard about it. It's pretty much the same show as the one in Abilene, most of the same folks.

Huskerguy
09-29-2020, 09:05 AM
We quit going to Abilene a couple years ago. Talked to a guy I had never met who was talking about Herrington. He thought having the Topeka show the same weekend might hurt Herrington. I just want to go to one that actually has some firearms and related items.

oldscool
10-01-2020, 12:27 AM
How was the attendance, and what availability and prices of 223 or 22lr?
I wanted to go, but am a little leary of wandering for hours elbow to elbow with my health issues.

richhodg66
10-01-2020, 07:21 AM
Didn't preice any .223. Several had .22 LR, the one that I remember had bricks of the Aguila ammo for $40.

It wasn't all that crowded and everybody was wearing masks. At this point, I'm not all that worried about it anymore.

oldscool
10-04-2020, 12:26 AM
Thank you for the insight. That price for the aguila was not out of line.
Last shows I have attended in Wichita and KC before the china crap were too crowded to enjoy, and really get to see it all. Figured with the panic it would be worse.

Handloader109
10-04-2020, 08:12 AM
I went to the little one in bentonville AR last weekend. a couple of vendors had a few boxes of 223, and some other rifle ammo, but even that was way overpriced. Actually a couple of new gun sellers with prices from 20 to 50 percent OVER retail. good number of ARs, none selling. Heck one guy had a Walther ppx that was discontinued 3 yrs ago at double the original price. Lota of knives and a bunch of junk. Waste of money and time going....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

richhodg66
10-04-2020, 09:22 AM
The little show in Herrington this weekend isn't as good as it usually is, but glad I went anyway. There was a surpising amount of reloading equipment and bullets. A few guys had some powder, didn't see many primers.. I picked up a few little odds and ends, the big treasure of the day being an adapter for 310 style dies to a 7/8x14 which still had the spout from a Lyman 55 in it. That was something I actually needed along with a coupld of other things to get a Lyman All American turret press up and running someday. It cost a dollar.

I always like that Herrington show, it has more of a small town community flavor than most. The Ladies hospital auxillary always runs concessions and it's way better than gun show fare usually is and the local scout troop is always there raffling off a .22 rifle. Nice folks.

Huskerguy
10-04-2020, 09:54 AM
I ended up at Herington. It was very small,.not much covid safety going on. Some ammo, 223 was minimal and what little I saw priced was $1.00 a round for 62 grain free tip. Not much else, wife spent more than me, it was a nice drive over there anyway.

richhodg66
10-04-2020, 10:21 AM
I ended up at Herington. It was very small,.not much covid safety going on. Some ammo, 223 was minimal and what little I saw priced was $1.00 a round for 62 grain free tip. Not much else, wife spent more than me, it was a nice drive over there anyway.

There weren't as many vendors as usual. I never buy factory ammo, so wasn't even looking. I did get some 230 grain FMJs (yeah, I know, jacketed in .45 ACP?) but I kind of wanted to make some GI ball equivalent loads up.

I like little gun shows with people who have eclectic collections of stuff. The only guns that really interested me was a guy who had a Savage 340 in .225 Winchester with dies and brass. Always a fan of the 340 and I've only ever seen one other in .225. Another had an old Savage pump 12 gauge someone had modifed with a high comb and vent rib that would have been neat to play with at the range, but I have too many things like that which aren't getting shot much now.

I also found a big package of sight aperture inserts for small bore rifle front sights. I really hope they fit the Crossmans my students shoot in case I need thm, but they were real cheap so not matter if they don't.

All in all, I'd call it worthwhile, but I've only ever been to one gun show in my life I felt wasn't worth the cost of admission, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I love gun shows.

rancher1913
10-04-2020, 11:28 AM
there is one just north of whicita this coming weekend. visiting the in-laws so hopefully I can sneak away and see it, just need some hollow point factory 9mm for the kid, I gave her several thousand rounds of reload to practice with but want her to have factory when she carries.

Huskerguy
10-05-2020, 12:08 AM
there is one just north of whicita this coming weekend. visiting the in-laws so hopefully I can sneak away and see it, just need some hollow point factory 9mm for the kid, I gave her several thousand rounds of reload to practice with but want her to have factory when she carries.

That would be the Chisholm Trail show at Hartman Arena? That used to be the second best show to hit outside of Tulsa but when they had to move to Hartman it has been generally disappointing and much smaller but they are now charging $12 instead of $10.

I don't buy factory ammo as well, someone had asked about prices at Herington. I too look for reloading supplies and did see a couple of nice H&R's. Other than that, not much I was interested in.

rancher1913
10-10-2020, 06:01 PM
the chisholm show was nice. found vendors with spp, srp but they wanted 60 bucks a brick, there was one guy selling bricks of primers out of a back pack and he was getting 100 bucks a brick. lots of powder available and lots of die sets available but not much in the way of reloading tools. found the hollow point 9mm for the kid and some other stuff I did not know I needed. got there early and left when it started getting packed.

abunaitoo
10-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Must be nice to have so many shows going on.
Our show was canceled by the gooberment.

elmacgyver0
10-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Haven't heard of a show around here.
Probably wouldn't know if there was one, since we cancelled the liberal rag.

Daver7
10-10-2020, 07:29 PM
I need to get to know you folks. Grew up in Newton, Worked in Wichita. I was at a wedding over by Whitewater Friday, came home today on old 81 stopped at Treasure Chest in Mac then Smoky Valley in Lindsborg, caught Kansas 4 to 56 then 59 north to LFK. Use to hunt in the Hope area on family land. I want info on gun shows in the area.

richhodg66
10-10-2020, 10:52 PM
I'm probably not gonna get to that Chisolm Trail show, darn it. Had an out of town work committment today and this weekend is the two day antlerless season so I'll likely go deer hunting tomorrow. Oh well, next time, I guess.

That show is usually the best one around for me.