PDA

View Full Version : Lee Melter Furnace Voltage Issue

StevieQuick
09-26-2020, 08:26 PM
Hey y'all, this is my first time posting here. I will soon be beginning my first boolit casting setup but I have already hit a roadblock. I accidentally ordered a 220 volt pot not realizing this was not US standard, and so I am lost on what kind of plug I need to wire it to as it doesn't come with a plug. Am I able to wire it to a standard 3 prong plug, if not is there some kind of adapter I need? Thanks!

Flailguy
09-26-2020, 08:38 PM
The standard 3 prong plug is 120v you need a 240v plug that looks like this268385
Preferably not burnt lol.
You also need wiring.

StevieQuick
09-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Hey Flailguy, thanks for the info! Exactly what I needed to know.

ChuckO
09-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Even if you change the plug or the wall outlet you won't get satisfactory results. Running a 220v heating element on 120v circuit will only produce 1/4 the heat output. You would have to rewire the outlet to a 220v source. Probably better to try to return the pot and buy the correct 120v version.

frkelly74
09-27-2020, 09:35 AM
.Run a dedicated 220 V circuit. It will work fine and is not too difficult to do. My opinion.

StevieQuick
09-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Even if you change the plug or the wall outlet you won't get satisfactory results. Running a 220v heating element on 120v circuit will only produce 1/4 the heat output. You would have to rewire the outlet to a 220v source. Probably better to try to return the pot and buy the correct 120v version.

With that in mind I decided to just return it and get the right one, I'm not in a hurry and I'm busy most of the time so less work the better

gwpercle
09-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Hey y'all, this is my first time posting here. I will soon be beginning my first boolit casting setup but I have already hit a roadblock. I accidentally ordered a 220 volt pot not realizing this was not US standard, and so I am lost on what kind of plug I need to wire it to as it doesn't come with a plug. Am I able to wire it to a standard 3 prong plug, if not is there some kind of adapter I need? Thanks!

You just might want to get a professional electrician to install a dedicated 230 volt line with proper sized breaker and wire ...if you don't know what your doing you will spend more time and money trying to figure it out . My Dad was an electrician ... some of the stuff homeowners would try to do was amazingly dangerous ... You can burn your house down and insurance isn't going to pay for it if you wired it .
Gary

gwpercle
09-29-2020, 02:59 PM
With that in mind I decided to just return it and get the right one, I'm not in a hurry and I'm busy most of the time so less work the better

Wise move ... you can plug the 110 volt in any standard receptacle ...try to find a circuit with nothing else on it .
Gary

Dragonheart
09-29-2020, 04:34 PM
I agree returning is probably the best solution. I would assume the 220V pot would heat faster, but the hassle factor of limiting your operation to a location where you can get to 220 would likely be more of a problem in the long run.

StevieQuick
09-29-2020, 06:07 PM
Exactly. And since I am a college student in my last year I will be moving out of my parents house before too long so it will make moving my setup easier.

oley55
04-06-2021, 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if this same 1/4 reduction in heat output will remain if a conversion plug is used?

Mal Paso
04-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know if this same 1/4 reduction in heat output will remain if a conversion plug is used?

Half. Voltage divided by resistance equals amps. If it's a Lee, the buzzer that controls the heat may not cycle. Old RCBS and Lyman thermostats will work. New ones are a crap shoot. Both RCBS and Lyman say their new 240 pots are 50HZ European.