PDA

View Full Version : General Questions?? Little help please??

HEAD0001
12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I sold my Pedersoli Sharps. I hated to sell it, but with my handicap and style of hunting it was just too big of a rifle for me.

I am looking for a Low Wall in 44 magnum. Can you shoot Black Powder loads in a 44 magnum?? Any advice.

I thought about a 44-40, but would that be a rechamber, or a rebarrel for a low wall??

I have a high wall in 45-70 also. But I really like the idea of a Low Wall in 44 magnum. And most of the Low Walls I have seen have some incredible wood. So I think I am going to set my sights on buying a nice Low Wall?? Any leads on where I might buy one?? Tom.

missionary5155
12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Greetings Sure you can shoot Black (3f I would use) in 44 mag. I shoot 44 Russian and your 44 mag case will hold about 30% more... depending on how far you seat a boolit.

StrawHat
12-07-2008, 07:39 AM
HEAD0001,

I don't know much about the Low Wall or what chamberings it is offered but don't overlook the 45 LC cartridge if it is available. Especially if you intend to use black powder in it.

StrawHat

NickSS
12-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I have used black powder in a 44 mag a time or two mostly in a lever action winchester I have. It works OK and accuracy for the first 5 shots is good but then degrades. For a 10 shot string it will put the first 5 into a 2 to 3 inch group but then during the next 5 it opens up to around 6 or 7 inches. Of course I was not using a blow tube and I was shooting fast as I was shooting cowboy action with it. As near as I can see the 44 Mag will equal a 44-40 ballistically with similar bullets. Which means you will be gettng something like 1100 fps from a rifle. This will kill deer at short range but will have little knockdown compared to a full house magnum load. In a low wall using a blow tube your accuracy should hold good for 10 or more shots without opening up if you use a good BP lube.

HEAD0001
12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
HEAD0001,

I don't know much about the Low Wall or what chamberings it is offered but don't overlook the 45 LC cartridge if it is available. Especially if you intend to use black powder in it.

StrawHat

I gave that a lot of thought. The real problem with that is I already have several 44 magnums. And bunches and bunches of reloading components for the 44, but none for the 45 Colt?? Tom.

cajun shooter
12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
The problems that Nick had with the 44 mag can be overcome with using the right bullets. Using BP only requires that you have a bullet that has a large lube grove filled with the correct lube. Springfield Slim, a member on this site has the bullets you need. You can shoot 60 0r more rounds without a problem. Go to his site Whyt Leather Works and look at the Big Lube bullets. Later on if you want I or Springfield can tell you where you can buy your own molds if you want to cast your own. I also have a good BP lube receipe for cartridge loading. I shoot BP in SASS matches and will never go away from "THE DARK SIDE". Use all your 44 mags and have fun!!!