PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating instead of gas checks?

Jjmwandell
09-26-2020, 03:03 PM
ive been looking online and came across a few youtube videos of people using powder coat instead of gas checks. They are just putting thr CB in a tub and swirling it to coat it, then putting them in a old toaster oven. Any thoughts? Cheaper? Better for the gun?
Thanks

DAFzipper
09-26-2020, 07:02 PM
Do it all the time. Works great for me. What caliber are you thinking about?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

hickfu
09-26-2020, 07:46 PM
You clicked on Cast boolits to post here... go down 4 more and click on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

Jjmwandell
09-26-2020, 08:04 PM
I cast for 9mm 30-30 and .308

mehavey
09-26-2020, 08:18 PM
Powder Coating gives you more margin** to work with, but does NOT
take the place of a gas check beyond higher pressures/speeds

** I'd estimate 2-3+ BN#'s max based on trials/experience

charlie b
09-26-2020, 10:56 PM
If the bullet is made for a gas check, then it will usually be less accurate without one. Maybe not enough to tell at pistol ranges, but, for rifles you will see a significant difference.

If you want to shoot without a GC then get a plain base bullet and powder coat it. I have fired such bullets in my .308 up to 1800fps with no leading and decent accuracy (<2MOA).

Bad Ass Wallace
09-27-2020, 03:07 AM
Powder Coating gives you more margin** to work with, but does NOT
take the place of a gas check beyond higher pressures/speeds

I have embraced the powder coating for everything except black powder, pistol, rifle (plain based), and gas checked rifle. My experiments have included powder coated 224" boolits fitted with a gas check after powder coating then using an 0.225" sizer to seat GC. I am getting 2470fps with good accuracy and no leading.

This week at the range I will be loading my 303 British to try to get 2400fps with a similarly coated and gas checked boolit.

https://i.imgur.com/02GXeqo.jpg

mehavey
09-27-2020, 12:13 PM
Where you gettin' them nice wooden boxes? :smile:

Conditor22
09-27-2020, 12:27 PM
"Powder Coating gives you more margin to work with, but does NOT
take the place of a gas check beyond higher pressures/speeds"

↑↑↑↑ THIS ↑↑↑↑

koyote
09-27-2020, 12:38 PM
what I don't know is where that line is for gas checks. hot .327 loads?

MT Gianni
09-27-2020, 12:47 PM
what I don't know is where that line is for gas checks. hot .327 loads?

It is different for every gun, not every cartridge.

bangerjim
09-27-2020, 02:09 PM
PC does NOT replace GC's in high velocity loads. I never GC any of my subsonic or (close to) sonic loads. 30-30 and 30-06 FULL HOUSE loads are a different story. And mabe 44MAG full hose loads. PC does not offer the protection you need for those hi end loads. It protects the sides only.

And that is based on the gun barrel! Each one is different as said above. Do what you need to get max performance/accuracy and minimum barrel clean-up.

In other words.....PLAY AROUND. [smilie=w:

ps.......there are youtube videos showing you everything under the sum. If not from a manufacturer, I do not trust anything on youtube. People just like to hear themselves talk on "TV".

charlie b
09-27-2020, 05:09 PM
I have embraced the powder coating for everything except black powder, pistol, rifle (plain based), and gas checked rifle. My experiments have included powder coated 224" boolits fitted with a gas check after powder coating then using an 0.225" sizer to seat GC. I am getting 2470fps with good accuracy and no leading.

Did you really mean it the way you wrote it? No PC on pistol or rifle?

Maybe you meant '...everything except black powder.'

GregLaROCHE
09-27-2020, 08:07 PM
PC works fine with BP for me. I’m not trying to be a purest or re-enacter. I just enjoy shooting BP.

Hanzy4200
09-29-2020, 09:05 PM
PC'ing really has opened up a lot of options for people. I personally like having the option to shoot PB bullets to magnum velocity without purchasing a GC mold, or GC's.

la5676
09-29-2020, 10:10 PM
If the bullet is made for a gas check, then it will usually be less accurate without one. Maybe not enough to tell at pistol ranges, but, for rifles you will see a significant difference.

If you want to shoot without a GC then get a plain base bullet and powder coat it. I have fired such bullets in my .308 up to 1800fps with no leading and decent accuracy (<2MOA).

In rifle boolits, I'll buy what you are saying, but for pistol boolits, I've seen people make this argument, but I really don't see the difference between shooting a gas check boolit without a gas check as opposed to a bevel base boolit. There isn't much difference.

dtknowles
09-29-2020, 11:24 PM
I cast for 9mm 30-30 and .308

What velocities? You don't need PC or a gas check for the 9mm. For the 30-30, if you are going for max you will need one or the other. Me I use a gas check. For the .308, definitively you need a gas check if you are pushing them hard, we are not talking about leading but structural strength. You need a gas check and a hard alloy and still you won't get good accuracy at factory velocities.

Tim

charlie b
09-30-2020, 08:22 AM
In rifle boolits, I'll buy what you are saying, but for pistol boolits, I've seen people make this argument, but I really don't see the difference between shooting a gas check boolit without a gas check as opposed to a bevel base boolit. There isn't much difference.

I agree, unless you are one of those gifted people who can shoot small groups at range with a pistol. 25yd and less it makes no difference for the average person.