PDA

View Full Version : This Is Different

jimkim
09-26-2020, 12:38 PM
I saw this on FB. It's supposed to be a Redding sizing die. What's up with the crazy flaring thing? 268352268353

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

leadhead
09-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Somebody doesn't know how to set the die up.
Wouldn't take long to screw up a lot of brass.
Denny

nhyrum
09-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Looks to me, because it's screwed way the hell down. Either that or the decap pin is to far down. I could see how a sizing die that puts in just a touch of flare would be handy for loading flat based bullets. That way, on a single stage, you don't have to re run all the brass through again to add a touch with like a Lyman m die

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

leadhead
09-26-2020, 12:58 PM
I flair mine right before I prime. I do it in a separate step.
Denny

jimkim
09-26-2020, 01:00 PM
Looks to me, because it's screwed way the hell down. Either that or the decap pin is to far down. I could see how a sizing die that puts in just a touch of flare would be handy for loading flat based bullets. That way, on a single stage, you don't have to re run all the brass through again to add a touch with like a Lyman m die

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapatalkHe said if he screws the pin in far enough to clear the case, it won't decap the brass. I can't see sizing the necks and flaring in a sizing die.

nhyrum
09-26-2020, 01:00 PM
I flair mine right before I prime. I do it in a separate step.
DennyRight. I'm saying if you had a die that could both size AND flare, that could save a lot of time. Switching dies, then running everything through, AGAIN, just for a touch of flare? This is genius. It being completely adjustable is key though. Nor saying I’m going to rush out and buy a bunch. I can just see how this was someone thinking a bit outside the box. Very likely just added complexity

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Taterhead
09-26-2020, 01:31 PM
Mismatched die parts? Decades ago it was common for the expander die to have the de-cap pin. Modern dies have the order of operations switched.

The pic is a bit unclear, but if the die body is a sizer, that de-cap stem wouldn't belong in it most likely. If it is actually an expander (flaring) die, then it would be a question of whether the stem is appropriate for your cartridge. (E.g. if the flair is properly configured, does the de-cap pin extend far enough to eject spent primers?).

rbuck351
09-26-2020, 08:58 PM
I looks like an early decapping pin and flairing tool for a pistol case. This is die 2 with die 1 being the sizing die.

jimkim
09-26-2020, 10:51 PM
I looks like an early decapping pin and flairing tool for a pistol case. This is die 2 with die 1 being the sizing die.I think it came with the wrong spindle. He bought the set on eBay. That is a 308 Win sizing die. I'm guessing that's an old style decapping/flairing spindle for a 357 or 44 mag.

Winger Ed.
09-26-2020, 11:06 PM
That stem doesn't belong with that die.

Doughty
09-27-2020, 10:09 AM
If the case was run into the die, sizing it down, and then run up a little higher?? which exposed some unsupported brass, and on into a flaring spud, won't the sizing portion, size the flare back down, when the case is withdrawn??? Don't think you can size and flare with the same die.

Baltimoreed
09-27-2020, 10:20 AM
If the case was run into the die, sizing it down, and then run up a little higher?? which exposed some unsupported brass, and on into a flaring spud, won't the sizing portion, size the flare back down, when the case is withdrawn??? Don't think you can size and flare with the same die.
Agree, if that die did that severe belling to those cases it’s not a sizing die. My guess its a expander die maybe with an incorrect stem.

rbuck351
09-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Yep, you are right, I didn't realize it was a 308 die body. Wrong spindle for that die set.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Wow! Something is really out of whack here. A sizing die sizes down to a certain dimension, and then you pull the resized brass out of the die. If the stem flared the mouth of the brass like shown in the photos, then when the brass was being withdrawn wouldn't it still size back to the smaller diameter? I mean, the flaring has to occur above the end of the neck sizing portion of the die, and when it passes through the neck sizing section on its way back out it's going to get squeezed back down again. So either the die and stem are very mismatched or the photo is misleading. Like Doughty said, sizing and flaring are two separate steps requiring two separate dies.

NyFirefighter357
09-27-2020, 10:54 AM
I was decapping/sizing/neck expanding 35R brass and found a piece 308 brass the same way. That looks like a .357 or 35R decapping/neck expander.

farmbif
09-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Redding die? get new stem with carbide and never look back.

jimkim
09-27-2020, 03:15 PM
If the case was run into the die, sizing it down, and then run up a little higher?? which exposed some unsupported brass, and on into a flaring spud, won't the sizing portion, size the flare back down, when the case is withdrawn??? Don't think you can size and flare with the same die.It won't go past that flaring part. He hits it. It bells the casemouth and he stops. I told him to decap with another die. Remove the spindle, and size without it.

elmacgyver0
09-27-2020, 03:28 PM
You are all wrong, any liberal can tell you it's for a rare Blunderbus Full Semi Auto Carbine with infinity clip that never runs out of bullets but does need to be charged with ammo from time to time.

GregLaROCHE
09-27-2020, 06:40 PM
I’d say probably mismatched parts. Unfortunately, you get that kind of stuff on EBay and it’s usually not worth the cost and trouble of sending it back.

jetinteriorguy
10-03-2020, 09:17 AM
FleecedBay strikes again.