PDA

View Full Version : Powder By the Pound - Excellent Results

Slingin'Lead
09-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Hope all of you are having a great Friday! I had a great Thursday night powder coating some 9mm (Arsenal 358-125 PC and Lee 452-200-RF) respectfully.

I ordered 3 lbs of powder from PBTP, Wet Black (SK41712), Deep Purple (SKU215531), and New Spartan Bronze (SKU2129612). I baked all at 400 for 20 minutes in a pre-heated toaster oven using the shake and bake method. I used bb's with the purple but not with the other 2. The results were fantastic either way. All 3 produced EASILY the best boolits I've done. The coverage was beautiful and the coated boolits look wet.

One change to my technique is in order however using these paints. I'm either going to have to stand them up to bake or do a much better job of separating them on the cookie sheets I use because, unlike other brands of powders I've been using, boolits that are stuck together are MUCH harder to separate. Needless to say, all 3 colors passed the hammer test with flying colors.

I've been using powders from 2 other companies and my results have been sketchy at best. I'm not going to name the companies because many of you report excellent results with them and I don't want to bad-mouth their products when it's likely that my problems with them are of my own making.

Finally, I've settled on the company I'll be using going forward. In fact, Powder By the Pound just received more of my money about 30 minutes ago!

Bad Ass Wallace
09-25-2020, 07:03 PM
I bought 4lb of powder at the start and found that just 1/2lb was needed to coat nearly 3000 boolits. Goes a long way!

Bad Ass Wallace
09-26-2020, 12:55 AM
Have 5 colours now, another one and I'll be able to shoot rainbow boolit strings!

https://i.imgur.com/02GXeqo.jpg

FLINTNFIRE
09-26-2020, 03:17 PM
I bought 8 lbs from smoke a few years ago in preparation for coating , when new casting bench was done I started coating have used up 2 colors and am down to about a total of 4 lbs and I have a loading bench with 18 coffee cans full of cast and coated and 12 more cans in another room and have loaded a lot of coated bullets to , think about getting more powder but then I think why ? when I am down to a pound or 2 maybe I use the colors straight and mix as the mood hits me .

Have gave a couple of cans away in the hopes it would encourage people to try casting and coating , and have traded 2 cans for lead to a competition shooter as he tried casting and alox and gave it up , he wants to trade more and I may do that but would rather get him doing his own .

Slingin'Lead
09-27-2020, 02:18 PM
I went a little wild with my recent paint order. I went with a green called "7-up", "safety orange" and "Bonded Viking Stainless Steel".

I'm in the process of building a dedicated casting/powder coating shed. As it stands now I'm spread out in 3 different spots. I'm looking forward to producing the numbers of boolits you guys are.