PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying Lyman 358156

Mr.skrimps
09-23-2020, 10:41 PM
New to posting but have enjoyed the info here for the last decade. Longtime 357 shooter and reloader but very new to casting my own. In the past year I’ve purchased all the designs I’ve enjoyed shooting Over the years. My last acquisition was the Lyman 358156 gas check- however there seems to be a few identifiers on the mold that I do not have on any other. Specifically 1k, 913 and the v beside Gas check- can anyone give me some info on this? Was supposed to be a new mold- I know it’s from 2013 but that’s about it. Seems lightly used but threw a happy boolit

It cast at the proper 358 and was a tad heavy 164 range.

mattw
09-23-2020, 10:50 PM
Take a look here... http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/Lyman_Mold_Reference.html

I can't find any definitive note on the V, the 913 is the mould pair ID, most likely.

Mr.skrimps
09-23-2020, 10:53 PM
I did see this on my quest to decode- he mentions the v but never states what it stands for. I appreciate the help

mattw
09-24-2020, 10:21 AM
I do not know your history, other than you are pretty new here. It is very tempting to chase down the rabbit hole on things like this and get lost in the minutia. Does it make the bullet you want, is the diameter good for your application? If so, you have a winner! I only own about 110 moulds, some are rare and a couple are really rare... do I care... not really, they make what I need and want. I do not keep a mould if it does not fit my need or I do not use it (ever) and if it is in my mould storage... it gets used whether it is old and rare or new and made by the millions.

BTW, I have that mould and it is fantastic, I also have it in a very old HP and again, it is fantastic.

Enjoy and cast, don't chase rabbits. Save the for the old gun in the back of your closet. :)

Also, welcome! This is a good place to learn and have some fun.

Bent Ramrod
09-24-2020, 11:43 AM
The “V” is a code letter used to identify the manufacturer of the cherrie used to cut the mould cavity. Lyman no longer makes its cherries in-house, but buys them from outside toolmakers.

The “913” is an assembly number to ensure that the blocks stay together through the manufacturing process. That ensures that alignment holes and pins line up, also the vent lines and outside dimensions.

I don’t know for sure what the “1K” means, but likely it is the designation for the final inspector for the mould. I have a couple with “R” on them, for “reject.” These were sold years ago as “blem” or “factory second,” and were so marked to indicate that no guarantee or warranty existed for them. (The ones I got cast as easily and produce boolits as good as any other Lyman or Ideal mould.)

Hope this helps.

Mr.skrimps
09-24-2020, 07:56 PM
Thanks so much for the help. Other then the 1k mark it seems all #s are accounted for.

I’m very familiar with this bullet and it casts a lil heavy but that’s my personal preference too. Look forward to many rounds with this!

Hick
09-24-2020, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You have a very good mold there! The Lyman 358-156 started off with Ideal (before Lyman) and has survived the test of time. Both my 38 Special and 357 revolvers love it and my Henry 357 rifle as well. It is a great find!

Mr.skrimps
09-24-2020, 11:51 PM
With 110 molds, maybe time to take your own advice ��. I just have about 5 molds. I’ve shot these designs for years and but never casted myself. So far so good. It is- Truly wonderful thing to have everything available to make whatever I need

Walks
09-25-2020, 12:06 AM
Most of the weight listed for Lyman molds are for bullets cast of Lyman #2 alloy.
If your alloy has a higher lead content then the bullets you cast will be heavier.

The #358156 is a Thompson Gas Check design. Lyman took over producing his molds in the early 1950's.
Lyman bought Ideal in late 1920's but didn't change over the name until the mid 1950's.
While I've never seen a mold marked with both names, I have seen many packages marked LymanIdeal from the 1950's transition phase.

That bullet was a Favorite of the Late Great Skeeter Skelton.