PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Lead Without GC?

Westwindmike
12-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm new to rifle boolit casting, so just wondering if its ok to shoot a lead rifle boolits that are designed for gas checks, without them. I'm wanting to give my nephew some boolits to load in his 30-30.
I'm looking at the Lee C309-150-F.
Or should I just buy him a box of jacketed bullets?

Thanks,
Mike

DLCTEX
12-06-2008, 03:04 PM
If you keep the velocity down to 1500 fps or less it will probably work ok. Be sure to let him know that he can't load to jacketed velocity with cast without some special measures taken to prevent leading and doping out some loads to work for accuracy.

Westwindmike
12-06-2008, 03:08 PM
We're just trying to get a good plinking load, so it may work.
Thanks.

454PB
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I've had mixed results. The best way to find out is give it a try.

Larry Gibson
12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
try that bullet over 5.5 or 6 gr Bullseye in the 30-30.

Larry Gibson

jack19512
12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure why but I have had some rifles shoot pretty good without the GC and others that don't. Maybe it's just the particular load for that rifle, I don't know. But I do believe you would just have to try it and see how they shoot.

Boerrancher
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
My 94 Winchester will do a bout a 5 in group at 100 yds with out a gas check for 3 shots, as long as I keep the velocity under 2000 fps with the C309-150-RF, but when I put a gas check on the base of it and load it with 30 gr of IMR4064 at around 2350 fps it tosses three shots into less than an inch at the same distance. I have an 03A3 Springfield that will shoot anything gas check or not. The limiting factor with the Springfield is the higher rate of twist generating excessive RPMs at higher velocities.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

randyrat
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I was just thinking about shooting GC boolits W/O checks tonight, thinking isn't always good....
I cast some RCBS- 30 115 SP They cast out at 112 grains. Then i brought them down to my cave in the basement and started to measure. Most of the bases of the bullits were within .001 where the check usually goes. I'm wondring if this is a partial reason why gas check boolits w/o check don't always work.
The most imprtant part of the shot/bullet is the base right? It is last to exit the rifling and if it is off a little the bullet won't be very accurate. Place a check on there and they are almost perfectly round.
I wonder if you can make a gc boolit's base perfect you have a better chance of finding a load for that boollit......Of course i'm talking with in a certain range of pressure and velocity and boolit design.
So that brings me to a solution to this shooting gc boolits with out gas checks. A simple device to make the bases perfect since i can't seem to make them perfect. HOW?
Just thinkin

docone31
12-06-2008, 11:31 PM
I use gas check molds, then size them down and paper patch them. I have found, down sizing with a gas check, makes a sharp bottom edge that easily tears the patch as the tail is twisted.
Hey, why not? I am using them without gas checks. Load them full tilt also. Great groups.
Definately not a plinker load, though I use them for target shooting.

Nose Dive
07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I have 4 or 5 GS design molds...all pistol....sometimes I take the time and lube/size/seat GC's..sometimes I'm just to darn lazy and build the round without any of the lube/size or GC's. So how do they differ...??

One is easier, faster and less expensive. One is bit more accurate, time consuming and takes abit more mooney. I do load the the GC'd rounds abit hotter. My defense loads have annealed GC's...but all that is to make me feel 'safer'. Dunno if they perfrom any better or not. I hope so...cus, I spend more time and money and attention on them... And, since I ain't no 'dead eye' shot with anything than my brain, I really can't tell any difference in the two. Both are fun to make, handle and spend my time on. Both go BANG and make holes in the cans/paper/hogs/deer I shoot at..so,,,I guess..WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO MORE? Make'm with..or MAKE'EM WITHOUT???...

I brought the notion up at my HAM club yesterday with the SHOOT'EZN brethren and they hollered at me for 2 hours... Swearin I was a dummy and had lead in my head, my butt and my pistol barrel. Well, I have checked all three locations and have failed to find any alloys present.

But, them boys fire off some heavy rounds, heavy boolits,,heavy powder charges at LOOONG distances in very expensive rifles for significant prizes. Me..I pop away at cans and milk jugs with no real Prize other than my own gratification..

So,,i guess that takes us back to the question""What are you doin and what are you doin for"? Find what u like and get onn wid et!

Nose Dive