PDA

View Full Version : hey guys!....so i have a winchester 1873 lever

mozeppa
09-22-2020, 02:23 PM
it's a newer one ....(didn't mean to excite anyone)

and it has a dovetailed rear sight....should i use a sight pusher to move it? (it hits about 1" to the left at 70 feet)

if so....what sight pusher should i get?

answers are appreciated...thanks

Ninety Caliber
09-22-2020, 02:26 PM
it's a newer one ....(didn't mean to excite anyone)

and it has a dovetailed rear sight....should i use a sight pusher to move it? (it hits about 1" to the left at 70 feet)

if so....what sight pusher should i get?

answers are appreciated...thanks

Brass punch will work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
09-22-2020, 02:30 PM
As stated above, a brass punch should work well. There are lots of sight pushers on the market, and they tend to be expensive because most of them are of somewhat complicated design. Be sure to secure the rifle firmly in a bench vise. This will offer the resistance needed to drive the sight against, and help in assuring that your punch doesn't slip off the sight and mar something.

Mk42gunner
09-22-2020, 07:01 PM
I'll be the contrary one. I don't like using brass punches to move sights, they don't dent the steel sights, but can leave a brass colored mark that is hard to scrub off.

Brownell's sells a small interchangeable tip punch the hard nylon tip with a steel pin insert works well and doesn't leave a mark.

A plain old rawhide mallet also works.

Robert

Pirate69
09-23-2020, 12:05 AM
I bought some "plastic" sight drives. I think I got them on Amazon. Cheap, safe and they work.

Randy Bohannon
09-23-2020, 06:51 AM
“WyomingSight Drifter” no better device will do what you need without hurting a thing. The front sights on the Win/Miroku rifles are super tight and the Wyoming Sight Drifter was the only thing that would move it, very worthwhile tool. The rear sights are not as tight as the front sights . www.wyomingsightdrifter.com

Mr. Crumbly
09-23-2020, 11:27 PM
With mine, I simply used one of those little hammers with the plastic head. It takes quite a bit of tapping, but moves it over just enough to shoot again and tap again until they are dead on. If I remember correctly, I even used the plastic handle of a screwdriver and gave it some whacks. They move just enough at a time to make minute differences this way, as the Miroku's are tight, and I'm glad, because it would bother me to no end if they were not.

If1Hitu
09-25-2020, 11:24 PM
I didn't know anything a Wyomingsightdrifter. thanks for sharing the link Randy Bohannon!