PDA

View Full Version : Another Telemarketer response

BrassMagnet
09-22-2020, 12:17 PM
I am so tired of telemarketers. I can't tell you how many calls I have received for extended warrantees and hotel stays in Mexico. I have not yet succeeded in getting rid of them, but I have come up with a new idea to try out!

Se habla Español?

That is all I will say over and over. It means "Do you speak Spanish?" I get quick hang ups. Who knows? Maybe it will reduce the number of calls. Even if it just gets them to hire bilingual scammers it can make their scam more expensive and less profitable. Anyone out there willing to help me with this?

Winger Ed.
09-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Reminds me of a buddy. It wasn't a tele-marketer call, but similar.

He was just getting up to leave his desk when the phone rang, and he instinctively answered it.
It was his boss, and he knew it would be something that'd keep him there.

When the caller asked for him, he said, "No know,,,,, me sweep".

///

Years ago, when answering machines had those little tape cartridges:
I had one of my buddies in 'da hood set up my outgoing message tape.

He took it home, with a couple of little kids in the back ground, he did it with his best ghetto voice-
"Ahh, dis be da Jonese's res--ee--dence, we ain't here ride now.
You kids be quiet,,,, I'm trying to do dis. Leave yo name an a numma, and we call you back".

The salesmen who would leave a message were very few, and very far between.

///

Years ago, a friend told of a guy he knew that was a tele marketer.
He got some tax credits or something for providing jobs to inmates in prison.
On paper- it sounded like a great idea.

Doing sales calls, you're lucky if you get one call out of about 80 that will actually talk to you.
After awhile of being yelled at, hang ups, etc. it gets very frustrating.

One time the guy was monitoring his callers, and one of the inmates was about at the end of his string.
On one of his quality control, recordings he heard,
"Don't you hang up on me!!! I know where you live"!!

That was the end of inmates in prison working for telemarketers.

MUSTANG
09-22-2020, 12:38 PM
hangugmal haseyo ?

redhawk0
09-22-2020, 12:39 PM
FBI Field office, you're on a recorded line. How can I direct your call......

CLICK.....

works every time.

redhawk

mattw
09-22-2020, 12:40 PM
I cannot tell you how many political polls I have responded to this season, but i am one of the best, most diehard liberals on the planet when I talk to them. :)

bangerjim
09-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Just read the caller ID. If you do not know the number or it is from an area code you do not recognize, don't answer. We get 20+ bogus calls here in the office every day and use caller ID to screen them. If it is a good call, they WILL leave a VM!

You can also go into your cell phone settings and set the "do not disturb" time from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM and only calls from people in your call register/phone book will ring thru. All else go directly to VM. My cell phone rings are now from the people I know.................ONLY!

GOPHER SLAYER
09-22-2020, 03:09 PM
When working for the phone company I would on occasion go into a telemarketers sight. It is nothing like you envision. You may imagine men in suits sitting at desks talking on the phone but that is far from the reality. What I saw was a pig pen inhabited by men in shorts wearing flip- flops leaning back in their chair and lying thru their teeth. There were empty pizza boxes with cigarettes crushed out in them and old newspapers all over the place. Most of the calls they made were for various veterans groups, in fact that was the name of the business.

Minerat
09-22-2020, 03:24 PM
If they answer in spanish your reply should be No habla Español!

I keep calling myself and asking if I want to extend my car warrenty. I say yes and that I have a 1963 Studebaker lark with a couple of million miles that needs engine and drive train work and a warranty would sure help. That ends the call.

09-22-2020, 03:37 PM
Actually got a call from PETA. The lady started out with all the normal blather and I just interrupted her in mid-sentence, stating that if this was another sales call for a wild game cook book, I already had enough. I waited for the response, which was mummed silence for several seconds. She hung up.

Black Powder Bill
09-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Hello Marshall Dillion ---click
Hello BlackPowderBill- hey yea glad you called back . About that ammo order I'll need a 50K$ certified check prior to shipping.

I still say all those corporations that are here in the state who outsourced our information is the main reason we get all these calls. Xerox corp, the outfit I retired from has call centers in every country I know deep in my heart that they would sell your information to make a buck.

frkelly74
09-22-2020, 04:25 PM
The FBI is after my wife for social security fraud according to recent calls we get. They certainly know where we are I they want to talk to us.

Sig
09-22-2020, 04:32 PM

I keep calling myself and asking if I want to extend my car warrenty. I say yes and that I have a 1963 Studebaker lark with a couple of million miles that needs engine and drive train work and a warranty would sure help. That ends the call.

I've been doing the except it's a 71' Dodge Dart. Most hang up immediately but I had one say that she was sorry they can't cover it.

Winger Ed.
09-22-2020, 05:03 PM
I kept waiting for the call when the fad for them was that you needed to send a money order, credit card number,
even a gift card, or else the Police and IRS would be on the way to arrest me.

I had a empty primed case loaded in a .38 nearby.
I'd planned to act all panicky, tell them I just didn't have the money, etc., couldn't get it, then fire the .38, and drop the phone.

fiberoptik
09-22-2020, 05:21 PM
Actually got a call from PETA. The lady started out with all the normal blather and I just interrupted her in mid-sentence, stating that if this was another sales call for a wild game cook book, I already had enough. I waited for the response, which was mummed silence for several seconds. She hung up.

“Why yes, I am a member of PETA; People Eating Tasty Animals. How did you guess? As a matter of fact, I was just getting ready to cook up and eat Lassy!” [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Simularly, we used to get the Sunday afternoon holy rollers knocking at the door [emoji376]. First time I was truthful and talked with them. It took me the better part of an hour to be rid of them. Next Sunday same thing. This time I said I was Jewish. They didn’t know what to say and left. Same thing following week. This time I was Buddhist. Left them without answers. The fourth week I was ready and waiting. When they showed up I put on my best psycho smile and said to them,”You’re here! You’re here! We had just lit the black candles, were just chanting and praying to satan for a sacrifice, and here you are!” I don’t know why, but after that we seemed to disappear from their map, as we never got another visit again.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

country gent
09-22-2020, 06:02 PM
One of my favorites is Hello Before we start my time is $350.00 an hour billed to the nearest half hour if you wish to continue. Usually click after that Some will start in And I interrupt them with I need contact ingot for who you are representing to send the bill for this. Here I get You dont expect to get paid do you, I answer here with your getting paid for your time arnt you.

I will tie them up as long as possible just to lower the number of contacts they can make. I do the same with people handing out fliers glance over it and Hey weve got a table at work for fliers can I have some to put on it. Time and materials cost them money. The more I can use up the better

45workhorse
09-22-2020, 06:31 PM

I tell them a 1946 Willys jeep, I ain't ever going to get on the road again without an extended warranty! CLICK!

fiberoptik
09-23-2020, 12:17 AM
The FBI is after my wife for social security fraud according to recent calls we get. They certainly know where we are I they want to talk to us.

I got that one also. Funny how they were absolutely just off the boat from India with that thiiiiiick accent. I told them they were welcome to come over to the house, we’d have them for dinner [emoji1638]........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conditor22
09-23-2020, 12:25 AM
I've gotten calls where they spoofed my phone number, It's weird seeing a call coming from the number that's ringing.

Having spent many years in asia I answer in an asian language and they always hang up

poppy42
09-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Free trip to Mexico! Is it all expense paid? Or do I have to pay for my own hookers and drugs?

samari46
09-23-2020, 12:45 AM
For some funny reason I just found out why they always call at suppertime. That's when the wife pics up the phone. So by now at least she is at home. I usually say something like "Police dept this is a crime scene" and they all hang up. Frank

Three44s
09-23-2020, 12:45 AM
Throw some Norwegian at them!

Snuka Norske? = Speak Norwegian?

Are do Norske? = Are you Norwegian?

Tuk fo mat (ah sound for the “a”) = thanks for food

Munga tusan tuk = Many thousand thanks

At least I am close if not dead on! You’d frazzle them anyway!

Three44s

monadnock#5
09-23-2020, 04:18 AM
We have a phone with answering machine, caller ID and memory that holds the last 100 calls. About 15 years ago I did an in depth study of calls received. 4% in the people we want to talk to camp, the rest all spam. That's it. If we recognize the name on the screen, we answer. Otherwise, talk to the machine. No apologies, and no regrets.

frkelly74
09-23-2020, 07:31 AM
I need to get one of those compressed air horns to keep by the phone.

chuckbuster
09-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Most of what comes here are recordings so you can't have fun. But if I happen to answer, and happen to get a human I have 2 different go to's. Often of course it is a robot dialer then they pickup when they see that a human not machine answered. So I always answer with just Hello, then wait for them to say something. As soon as they do;
1. "State Police, Trooper Johnson, what is your emergency?"
2. This one takes a little practice so you sound smooth. As soon as they answer, interrupt with "Good afternoon sir I am so glad I got you at home today my company has authorized me to offer you 75% off all new Windows Siding AND DOORS for your house,,,,

No punctuation intentional, you have to do it in one breath just like they do. The click and dead line often comes around "offer you". I had one guy ask me if I thought I was funny. Simply told him he called to sell me something so I thought I should return the favor. I actually think except for the political robot calls the # of calls has dropped. Golly do you think I have been Telemarket Blacklisted...
Kevin

Bookworm
09-23-2020, 07:48 AM
If the call comes from out o my area code, I simply don't answer. If the caller leaves no voice mail, that number is reported as spam, and blocked.

I have actually gotten fairly good at spotting robocalls; my phone displays the carrier; i.e. Sprint, ATT, whatever. If the carrier is Onvoy, it's a robocall.

If it's Sprint, at a certain time of day, it's a robocall.

They all get blocked.

tommag
09-23-2020, 08:40 AM
I get a lot of calls from my area code and prefix. I guess they're trying to make me think the call is from a neighbor.

rbuck351
09-23-2020, 09:42 AM
I used to get the car warranty calls from people and if I was bored I would respond with which car I have four. The response usually was either a click or any car newer than 2006 with under 150,000 miles. My response, I don't have any that new and then I'd get the click. Lately it's a robot call and I have to push 2 to be able to waste a bit of their time. My flip phone opens the line when I open it so I just close it.

Black Powder Bill
09-23-2020, 10:10 AM
Our ATT call block is full can't add any more.

The police association donations to fight for better laws,vest, equipment. Then they give an address with phone number.
Follow that and it's Washington DC outfit with a disclaimer they don't make calls for donations

Man what a waste of time on my end.

Robo call doesn't work for att

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
09-23-2020, 10:54 AM
Years ago, when I had my woodworking/millwork shop, commercial businesses were bombarded by those wanting to sell copy paper or commercial light bulbs - a rea PIA and often numerous calls during a week. Normally, the calls came when I was right in the middle of glueing or setting up a machine to make a run. I got tired of it so one day, I answered the shop phone - it was a copy paper salesman. I let him go through his whole spiel, and then said, "I'm sorry, you need to tock to Human Resources, let me put you on hold." I then walked into my office, picked up the phone and answered "Human Resources". I let him go through his whole spiel again and then told him that he really needed to talk to "Purchseing" - I walked out into the shop, picked p the phone and answered "Puurchasing" - let him do his spiel again and then said he would need to talk to "Administration". The guy had the patience of Job. I went to the other phone and answered "Administration". He gave his spiel again, I replied . . "Nope . . not interested." He got the hint as he never called back.

Now, with computerized calls, it's just a royal PIA.

RoyEllis
09-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Another thing thats a real PIA is number spoofing, I get people calling me saying they "missed a call from this #" but I didn't call them. I'd REALLY like to get my hands on those spoofers necks......just for a couple minutes each.

flyingmonkey35
09-23-2020, 01:00 PM
In got one last night for a Pray-A-Thon.

As this is a work cell phone and i get ligit calls from India i have to be carefull.

But if i know its spam inhave fun.

Hello this is Pizza Hut.

Sregrent ole speaking of the 625th mp core what can i do for you.

I had a spammer call my 14 yaar olds sons line and i grabbed his phone.

Ut was the extended warrenty one.

I asked them if the would warrenty his powerwheels jeep. Then explaind to them that this number was a kids number and he doant own a car sonhiw can i extend the warrenty?

Love scerwing woth them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jimlj
09-23-2020, 01:42 PM
I was with a guy a few days ago when he got a call. He listened for a couple minutes then interrupted the caller....
"Mam, you sound like a good looking lady. Lets talk about something interesting. I'm interested in sex". CLICK

dbosman
09-23-2020, 08:16 PM
The latest we've been getting show a XxxxCity, MI. Lots of calls from cities this month. I only answer if I'm expecting a call and these days I I don't expect too many. Kids usually text mom as I don't have a mobile phone. If I need one for a trip, I can pick up one of the prepaid ones for a month. They use the Verizon network so coverage is good.

abunaitoo
09-24-2020, 04:23 AM
Sometimes I just put the phone down and go back to doing what I was doing.
When I go back, the phone is just beeping.
I can just see that idiot, after going through their junk, pissed because they know I wasn't listening.
Other times I just keep on saying Hello??? Hello???? Hello????
They just hang up.
I'd be more than happy if these idiots and political calls were outlawed.

fcvan
09-24-2020, 05:59 AM
I had a buddy who told a good one at work. He'd answer the phone sounding like a kid. He would then scream into the phone 'Dad!! Phone!!' 'um, dad can't come to the phone right now, he's having sex.' then 'Dad, hurry up, mom just pulled in the drive. Sorry, I gotta go, this is going to end badly.' The he would hang up.

lightman
09-24-2020, 10:52 AM
If the caller does not show up in my phone book I don't answer it. If its legit they can leave a message and I'll call them back.

alamogunr
09-24-2020, 11:04 AM
If the caller does not show up in my phone book I don't answer it. If its legit they can leave a message and I'll call them back.

This! +1

Both our landline and cell phones have provision for blocking numbers. We've received two calls this morning that showed "BLOCKED" on caller ID. My cell phone has a list of blocked #'s a mile long. I've found that being cute does nothing but encourage them to keep calling. I don't know what I will do when the cell is full.

flyingmonkey35
09-25-2020, 03:46 PM
The biggistvissue i think is with cell phone and phone companys selling your number rs.

The next one is Never give out your real number to any giant retailet or for a pormational give away coupn dscounts etc..

They will sell those numbers and your contact info.

Txcowboy52
09-25-2020, 04:52 PM
I'm the same way. If I don't recognize the number or its not in my contacts, I don't answer .

dragon813gt
09-25-2020, 06:02 PM
If you do pick up don’t say anything. It won’t switch over to a live person in most cases. I usually don’t bother to pick up but sometimes it’s a number that could be our office in Texas. When it’s actually the office they’re annoyed that I don’t say hello right away.

MT Gianni
09-26-2020, 12:17 PM
My grand-daughter was getting some from the Federal Reserve with a warrant for her arrest. I had to explain to her 12 yr old self that all the Fed Reserve did was issue money.

Don Purcell
09-26-2020, 02:23 PM
I pulled the F.B.I. field office once, CLICK. Think I will work through the alphabet agencies whenever I decide to pick up.

HiVelocity
09-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Just use my answer: "Hello, City Morgue"........... You stab em' we slab em'..............how may I help you?"

No one stays on the phone, they hang-up before I even start laughing.............(enjoy, my friends)

HV

flyingmonkey35
09-28-2020, 01:59 PM
My all time fav. In a heavy norwigen accent.

Helgas house of painfull delights. This is Sven speaking how may I serve you today.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-28-2020, 09:18 PM
My phone is from the office. Never had a personal cell phone.
If I don't have number in directory, I just answer with my last name. Computers look for "hello", anything else and they think I'm not human. Course some of my friends think the same thing.
CF

fcvan
09-28-2020, 11:29 PM
When I was still working I was issued a cell phone as I was a hostage negotiator, and another because I worked internal affairs. Then they downsized an investigator and put his phone on my inventory with the other 2. It took quite a while to convince IT to take over the 2 extra phones. Funny when they needed another phone to issue a gang investigator they wanted it yesterday!

Finally retired again, this time for good. I have my phone, and no electronic leash from work. I hated having a pager that did not work outside the county which pretty much made it useless. I had to go through hoops to carry my personal phone while on duty even while not physically it work. Then pagers were replaced by phones.

My personal phone is pretty much only called by SWMBO, and sometimes my grand kids. I'd rather just use my HAM radio on the repeater net.

flyingmonkey35
09-29-2020, 12:42 AM
When I was still working I was issued a cell phone as I was a hostage negotiator, and another because I worked internal affairs. Then they downsized an investigator and put his phone on my inventory with the other 2. It took quite a while to convince IT to take over the 2 extra phones. Funny when they needed another phone to issue a gang investigator they wanted it yesterday!

Finally retired again, this time for good. I have my phone, and no electronic leash from work. I hated having a pager that did not work outside the county which pretty much made it useless. I had to go through hoops to carry my personal phone while on duty even while not physically it work. Then pagers were replaced by phones.

My personal phone is pretty much only called by SWMBO, and sometimes my grand kids. I'd rather just use my HAM radio on the repeater net.Odd i wore brown in late 90s
I had a pager and a radio. I got a cell phone on my own and they had zero issues with it.

I was more likly to get a cell call then a radio call from my seargents as it was way easer and more secure.

BrassMagnet
09-29-2020, 06:20 PM
So I got busted today.

Telemarketer: Someone recommended you for a one week vacation with Marriot. Press zero for more info or 2 for our do not call list.

I dialed 0 because the other option seems to be a confirmation scam or something.

Me: Se Habla Español?

Telemarketer: He began talking to me in Spanish faster than I can follow it.

Me: Se Habla Inglis?

Telemarketer: He continued in rapid Spanish.

Me: Adios! (Goodbye in Spanish!)

Oh, well. It works at least 80% of the time.

country gent
09-29-2020, 08:24 PM
I have had 2 of the marriott callers swear at me when I asked them why they thought calls after 8 were appropriate, I wouldnt stay at a marriot hotel now for any reason. Ask to talk to their supervisor and you are hung up on. Go to web site and thee is no contact for complaints only to make reservations. Its obvious that they want your money but your time and wishes wants have no value to them

flyingmonkey35
09-29-2020, 08:34 PM
I have had 2 of the marriott callers swear at me when I asked them why they thought calls after 8 were appropriate, I wouldnt stay at a marriot hotel now for any reason. Ask to talk to their supervisor and you are hung up on. Go to web site and thee is no contact for complaints only to make reservations. Its obvious that they want your money but your time and wishes wants have no value to themIts not marriott calling you.

Its a complete scam to get your cc info.

Stewbaby
09-29-2020, 08:40 PM
I have had 2 of the marriott callers swear at me when I asked them why they thought calls after 8 were appropriate, I wouldnt stay at a marriot hotel now for any reason. Ask to talk to their supervisor and you are hung up on. Go to web site and thee is no contact for complaints only to make reservations. Its obvious that they want your money but your time and wishes wants have no value to them

What he said...it isn’t Marriott’s fault...probably somebody in Nigeria. I’m a Holiday Inn guy myself like

Mr_Sheesh
10-01-2020, 09:44 AM
I signed up for Nomorobo, an anti-phone spam service, and a lot of spam calls ring once then are hung up on by that service, free for landlines, costs a bit for cell phones. Not all but many.

Texas Gun
10-01-2020, 10:04 AM
I use this .. hello FBI headquarters this is Sergeant Malone ID number and pass word
They hang up fast

bakerjw
10-01-2020, 11:04 AM
My friend Rico, said on his answering machine "This is Rico. I am not home, please leave a name and number."
I called and left a message
"Bob. 85."
It took him weeks to figure out who I was.

FarNorth45
10-03-2020, 02:30 AM
Big Al's Day Care and Tattooing, This is Al speaking .