PDA

View Full Version : Snap on tools

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 12:05 PM
I want to refurbish my toolbox with good quality tools. I’ve always thought of snap as the top of the line. Is that still true? Do they have different qualities within their brand, as so many other brands have done? What do I need to look for to get the best quality? Where are they made today? Any chance it’s not China? I want to start with a 1/4 inch drive socket set, then buy more each month.

dangitgriff
09-21-2020, 12:12 PM
Snap-On is hard to beat.

tradbear55
09-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Most Snapon tools are still made in the USA. However, they also carry a cheaper line called Bluepoint. Not all their tools are made in America. You have to look closely before you buy.

Carrier
09-21-2020, 12:19 PM
I have a price of a house in tools as I’ve been a heavy duty and a transport refrigeration mechanic for 40 years. It all depends on what you will use them for and how much you want to spend. There is no doubt Snap On is the best followed by Mac and others. I find Mac wrenches fit my hands better than Snap On but Snap On sockets, ratchets and other socket type tools are the best hands down.
I have some of just about every brand made but about 90% are Snap On.

wddodge
09-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Snap-On is top of the line. Pricey but you won't find a higher quality tool.

country gent
09-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Snap on is very good and the warranty is hard to beat. Mac and proto are very good also. A Lot of shops have these trucks stop once a week or month. So that helps offset the higher costs as they save you the time of shopping and the travel.

Being a tool maker they didnt carry a lot for us, more auto related

rancher1913
09-21-2020, 12:41 PM
you will pay top dollar for snap-on. we had all the tool trucks stopping by at the oil field shop and I've found that around here cornwell tools have the best bang for the buck, they have the same warranty as snap-on and are about 1/2 the price. most of our mechanics started out with snap-on stuff but over time have gone to cornwell tools.

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 12:46 PM
I see they have a 100 year anniversary set. It’s 1/4 inch drive. Just what I’m looking for. Where can I buy it? They don’t still only sell from their trucks, do they? Can’t I find them online somewhere?

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 12:56 PM
I found out how much the 1/4” drive anniversary socket set costs. Over $2400. I may have to pass.
https://youtu.be/tgAZdtUPE-I

metricmonkeywrench
09-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Concur, Snap-On is top of the line, and suited well for pro work but can be costly. I have gotten great service from my older Craftsman tools, but walked away when quality started to decline. I started buying Kobalt, but it looks like they are going away with the the new Craftsman (Stanley) line. There's even room in the box for Horrible Freight, the impact sockets are nearly indestructable. Some of my favorite tools are off brand.

In the military I probably used and broke them all, in the end it all comes down to preference and what your willing to spend. Local availability is my key driver.

30calflash
09-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Snap on sockets and wrenches are great tools, no comparison with others. They have a flank drive that grips the nut or bolt by the flats, not the corners. Makes a huge difference on regular vehicles as rust really wreaks havoc on underbody parts and most other brands will strip out before a rusty bolt will break loose.

Snap on rep demonstrated this with a piece of plastic hex stock, Snap on vs Mac. The Mac 6 point wrench stripped out first. He then came back the next week wit a Snap on 12 point wrench vs Mac 6 point, and the Mac stripped out again. That sold me!

I was told he tried it later, Snap on 12 point on the stripped end and Mac 6 point on the clean end and the Mac stripped again. Very outstanding performance.

That said if you are working on a lot of rusted stuff, cars trucks whatever Snap on could be worth it.

If you're assembling new items, lawnmowers, bicycles, around the house stuff most any will do. Other brands are or were very popular with Nascar but they're using new bolts that get changed a lot.

shell70634
09-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Years ago I bought Proto. Top quality and warranty. They had a cheaper brand called Challenger. The Proto brand was on par with Snap On IMO.
Shelly

Butler Ford
09-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Their sockets are the best! Their ratchets aren't much better than the old Craftsman. Their wrenches are too thin, not that they break, they just become uncomfortable when a lot of pressure is applied. MAC wrenches are the best I've used. Split ring pliers are better than any other that I've used. Screw drivers are good. Pliers are iffy some are outstanding others not so much. The good ones, the groves on one jaw will meet the ridges on the opposite. That's about all I remember, that box of tools was stolen a few years ago and I just replaced most everything with Craftsman.

Jsm180
09-21-2020, 01:56 PM
I've made a good living over the last 40+ years with mostly craftsman tools. A few of the snap-on tools I have I found in airplanes and likely the owner is still making payments on it. I have never broken a craftsman wrench and the only sockets I have split were ground thin for a single use anyway.

GregLaROCHE
09-21-2020, 01:57 PM
I used to have the old craftsman tools and a few snap ons thrown in. With moving and kids, I am missing a lot. Life changed and mechanics was much less a part of my life. Now that I am retiring, I was hoping to replace cheap stuff that has found its way into my box and is often not up to the job. Unfortunately, I’m not 25 anymore, with fifty years left to amortize the investment.

tazman
09-21-2020, 03:18 PM
The company I retired from after 42 years, made the ball pein hammers for Snap On the entire time I worked there. They had a lifetime guarantee that we backed up.
I assume they still do since it was a point of pride for the company.
The company name was Vaughan and Bushnell. They make hammers, hatchets, axes, and pry bars for a number of different labels as well as their own.

alamogunr
09-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Wasn't Proto bought out by Stanley. I haven't seen them in a long time. I have a few Proto tools. The first wrenches I bought after college was a set of Proto metric combination wrenches. Went from 10mm to 19 mm. Since then I've ended up with a few more Proto tools but most have been Craftsman or something else I had to have immediately with no time to shop. I never have turned wrenches for a living, it's all been personal use. That doesn't prevent me from appreciating quality. Have never been well off enough to buy Snap On.

Shawlerbrook
09-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Unless you are a pro or independently wealthy, I find that some of the lesser brand suit me fine.

Carrier
09-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Snap on sockets and wrenches are great tools, no comparison with others. They have a flank drive that grips the nut or bolt by the flats, not the corners. Makes a huge difference on regular vehicles as rust really wreaks havoc on underbody parts and most other brands will strip out before a rusty bolt will break loose.

Snap on rep demonstrated this with a piece of plastic hex stock, Snap on vs Mac. The Mac 6 point wrench stripped out first. He then came back the next week wit a Snap on 12 point wrench vs Mac 6 point, and the Mac stripped out again. That sold me!

I was told he tried it later, Snap on 12 point on the stripped end and Mac 6 point on the clean end and the Mac stripped again. Very outstanding performance.

That said if you are working on a lot of rusted stuff, cars trucks whatever Snap on could be worth it.

If you're assembling new items, lawnmowers, bicycles, around the house stuff most any will do. Other brands are or were very popular with Nascar but they're using new bolts that get changed a lot.

Snap On dealer did the same thing with us but I guess he figured we were all stupid as he was comparing the flank drive with a plain Mac wrench. I have both of Snap On flank drive and Mac knuckle buster and problem with the Snap On is it will mess up the fastener head or nut. They work slightly better than the Mac knuckle buster if you are replacing the bolt or nut though Mac has a new wrench out that is similar but at my age I’m done buying any new tools.
I prefer Mac wrenches for the simple fact they are thicker and more square which fits my hand better but because they are thicker can give issues in tight places and that’s were the Snap On work better.
It’s really comes down to what one is doing as if I was just doing some weekend wrenching on my own things I sure wouldn’t be spending the money on tools and would be going with Craftsman or similar.
But there are some tools that only Snap On, Mac and a couple others make so you have no choice. I have tools from decades ago for Cat, Cummins and Detroit that cost big money and haven’t used in years as those engines are long gone up here anyways.

rcslotcar
09-21-2020, 05:02 PM
I've grown my "Snap-on" tool sets inexpensively by shopping flea mkts and pawn shops. I keep a list on my phone and buy sockets /wrenches as I find them to fill/complete sets. This is not the fastest method but can build sets for about 1/4 the retail cost. Sockets can be had for as little as a couple of dollars each. Wrenches can be five dollars each. You can also search Ebay but condition can be hard to determine and shipping can be prohibitive. For my in vehicle tools I keep inexpensive Harbor Freight stuff. Good luck in getting together a quality tool box that can last forever.

Ickisrulz
09-21-2020, 05:24 PM
You might want to check out Tekton. These tools are made in the US and Taiwan.

You can buy directly from Tekton.com. They give you free shipping and a 10% credit of your purchase for future shopping sprees. I have gotten all my orders within 3 days. They don't collect sales tax either.

These are very nice hand tools that have received excellent reviews. Their sets are complete; no missing sizes. They also sell open stock. So if you just need a 38mm socket, you can have it in 3 days for $10. If you should break something, you take a picture of the item, send it to the company and they will replace it. They have a lifetime guarantee.

tazman
09-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Back in the late 60s and all the 70s my father, who ran an auto salvage business, used S&K wrench sets. They had a lifetime warrantee.
I took a couple of them back to a dealer when they broke. I was using a 2 foot cheater bar on the end of a breaker bar with standard 1/2 inch drive sockets.
The dealer said,"Next time use a shorter bar."
You don't see them much anymore.

jonp
09-21-2020, 05:57 PM
HF has a new line of higher quality tools that all have lifetime warranty. Craftsman still does lifetime. With that it's hard to spend Snap-On money for tools.

Paper Puncher
09-21-2020, 06:43 PM
I think you can buy Snap on online at https://shop.snapon.com/categories/700010 .

You can go here and see if a local guy will contact you https://findfranchisee.snapon.com/ .

I quit buying Snap-on, Mac etc when time was no longer money. I can't justify $725 for a six point deep/shallow metric/inch 44 pc set.

When the truck used to come to the shop you could let the driver (franchise owner) know you where looking for a used set of this or that and if he had a chance to buy one back he would make you a good deal on it.

popper
09-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Yea, unless you make a living off tool use, anything that works, works. I did break a craftsman whitworth socket in the 60s, replacement was hard to find. Bro worked for Hilti for a while, then they reduced quality and he left.

Finster101
09-21-2020, 08:01 PM
I have been turning wrenches for almost 50 years. I have Snap On, MAC and Matco in my box. I consider those three of equal quality over all. Some individual tools have a better feel from brand to brand but I can not say I have more warranty stuff from one or the other. The big thing is how good is your dealer. I quit buying Snap On for a while because the guy with the route guy thought he and his tools were God's gift to mechanics everywhere. He didn't last long. The sad part is, when I'm gone my wife will get pennies on the dollar when she goes to sell them.

farmbif
09-21-2020, 08:48 PM
as a professional mechanic earlier in my life I would buy and use all brands, snap-on, Mac, Cornwell, sk, proto, matco, Martin, craftsman. what I like about Mac open end wrenches is the have contact with 4 surfaces of a nut bolt or fitting, real good for working on hydraulic fittings, sk makes a compact head fine tooth racket that will get in spaces others cannot. sure can't go wrong with a 1/4" drive snap on set. but snap on warranty isn't what it used to be., they used to flat out replace anything that didn't work right or broke, these days they will give you a little repair kit for a ratchet, send you on your way and wish you good luck. ive got a broken pair of snap on pliers in my truck for the next time I see a snap on guy one of the handles of the pliers snapped off.

Mal Paso
09-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Craftsman wrenches are now Made in the USA by their new owners Stanley and are good quality.

Snap-On makes decent Scanners too. Most of the competition is chinese and Snap-On was the only brand that would consistently do the job. I bought a used Ethos for $600. I bought it to do ABS brakes but it's got multiple scopes for real time data. You can turn injectors off, even retrieves barometric pressure, had no idea my truck keeps track of that.

Carrier
09-21-2020, 11:14 PM
I have been turning wrenches for almost 50 years. I have Snap On, MAC and Matco in my box. I consider those three of equal quality over all. Some individual tools have a better feel from brand to brand but I can not say I have more warranty stuff from one or the other. The big thing is how good is your dealer. I quit buying Snap On for a while because the guy with the route guy thought he and his tools were God's gift to mechanics everywhere. He didn't last long. The sad part is, when I'm gone my wife will get pennies on the dollar when she goes to sell them.

Yup been through a few of those type of tool truck guys. But I will say in defense of the good ones that they are taking a risk giving 1000’s of dollars to someone who is paying very small payments and the tool truck owner has to pay Snap On or Mac every month. I’ve seen many rip the tool man off never to be seen again along with the tools.
What I try and get apprentices to do is buy a basic set through one of the big box stores. We don’t have Sears up here anymore as a set of Craftsman was a good deal. That way if they decide this isn’t what they want to do then not out much.
But there is always that one or two that gets sucked into buying the $6000.00 plus Snap On or Mac tool box and then they can’t afford to but the tools that they really need.

samari46
09-22-2020, 02:23 AM
My Dad worked as an electrician for the railroad. Most of the stuff he bought for himself. Klein was for most pliers,cutters,screw drivers and wire strippers. I have his little box of Sk 1/4" sockets,ratchets,extensions and little tiny breaker bars. As for my self worked for a public utility as an operating mechanic then supervisor. Always bought Craftsman. Then Proto, Armstrong, Williams and probably forgot the others. When Craftsman went overseas bought a lot of Kobalt from Lowe's. Have a impact gun I got when I bought a Craftsman air compressor. It was a freebie and naturally needed sockets. So a mix of Craftsman, Kobalt. Have a gig roll around tool box in the garage. Garage hasn't seen a car or truck in almost 15 years.Chock full of tools. But since both the riding mower and Kubota are under the carport, bought one of the big Kobalt tool sets as I have bad knees and running back and forth searching for tools gets old quick. That stays new the carport. So probably maybe 3-4 complete sets of both inch and metric hand tools. The impact gun has 2 sets of short and deep inch sockets, the same for metric. No extensions or swivels for those. Don't get me started on wood working stuff. Could fill easily one of the huge job boxes. But started out with Craftsman, Porter Cable, Hitahachi, Rockwell, De Walt and Kobalt. Frank

smithnframe
09-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Shiny and way over priced!

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2020, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=tazman;4989567]Back in the late 60s and all the 70s my father, who ran an auto salvage business, used S&K wrench sets. They had a lifetime warrantee.
I took a couple of them back to a dealer when they broke. I was using a 2 foot cheater bar on the end of a breaker bar with standard 1/2 inch drive sockets.

I still have my father’s 1/2” drive S&K socket set. Don’t need to replace it. The box has rusted/worn out, but the tools are still in great shape. I’ve just been thinking about 1/4” drive.

RU shooter
09-22-2020, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=tazman;4989567]Back in the late 60s and all the 70s my father, who ran an auto salvage business, used S&K wrench sets. They had a lifetime warrantee.

I still have my father’s 1/2” drive S&K socket set. Don’t need to replace it. The box has rusted/worn out, but the tools are still in great shape. I’ve just been thinking about 1/4” drive.

My SK 1/4" drive set has seen a lot of use and sometimes abuse and I've never had a ratchet or socket break . My 3/8" set I can't say the same about their about the same age but I've busted probably 6 sockets between the standard and metric sets causing much cursing and bloodletting a few times

Rich/WIS
09-22-2020, 09:32 AM
About 25 years ago needed a socket set for small jobs and bought a set made by Stanley, had a decent selection of common size sockets, a spinner handle and extension. IIRC paid about $20 at Walmart. A year or so ago the ratchet finally quit but noticed the nested box it came in had a label that said it had a lifetime warranty. Shipped it back to Stanley and a few weeks later got a brand new ratchet wrench. My tool collection has a real mix, Craftsman, Snap-on, Blue Point, Stanley and a bunch I am not sure of. For electrical work pretty much all Klein.

skeet1
09-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I'm glad someone mentioned the HF brand, I wanted to but was fearful that someone might be offended using HF and Snap-On in the same post.

Ickisrulz
09-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Craftsman wrenches are now Made in the USA by their new owners Stanley and are good quality

I don't think this has happened yet. There are plans in place to bring some Craftsman tool manufacturing to the US.

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2020, 01:31 PM
I'm glad someone mentioned the HF brand, I wanted to but was fearful that someone might be offended using HF and Snap-On in the same post.

I just found this comparison between Snap on and Harbor Freight. Some may find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/ck_O5U1Tyz8

Omega
09-22-2020, 01:48 PM
I use HF hand tools, they have a lifetime warranty, reason I bought Craftsman back in the day, so I have no problem buying them. I worked for a John Deere dealership for a year, as a lot manager, I needed tools but didn't get a stipend due to not being a mechanic, so went to HF and purchased some because I didn't want to leave my Craftsman at the shop, and didn't want to carry them back and forth either. I started buying HF tools when I needed something for a specific project, and didn't want to spend full retail. Figured if it made it through the one use, it was worth it, but honestly most of them have become my go-to tools. I still have an HF angle grinder ($14) from 10 years ago, I got it because it ran off the plug in back of my Tacoma, though it bogs down if too much pressure is used, it does the job quite well. The way I figure is that if I am making money off the tools, then I invest in good ones, for hobby or other non-essential use, any ole cheap tool will do.

RU shooter
09-22-2020, 02:23 PM
The HF impact sockets are decent but I don't put a lot of faith in most of their stuff . I twisted the head right off a 18" 1/2 drive breaker bar from there and I'm not a huge guy

Mal Paso
09-22-2020, 02:43 PM
I don't think this has happened yet. There are plans in place to bring some Craftsman tool manufacturing to the US.

Already happened. I have a set of high polish metric combination wrenches, Craftsman, Made in USA.

I just found this comparison between Snap on and Harbor Freight. Some may find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/ck_O5U1Tyz8

I bought that wrench. LOL Thanks!

Ickisrulz
09-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Already happened. I have a set of high polish metric combination wrenches, Craftsman, Made in USA.

Huh, Craftsman does not list wrenches on the made in USA section on their website. Did you buy new old stock?

SK used to make the Craftsman Professional wrenches (high polish) at one time. They are nice wrenches.

W.R.Buchanan
09-22-2020, 03:46 PM
OK guys I've been down this road for a long time and have been killed by some of the things I found out.

I bought a Timing Light from Kragen Auto Parts. $79.95,, a few days later a friend bought one from the Snap On Truck. $279.95 ! I just happened to be there and noticed that the gun looked alot like the one I just bought, so I ran and got mine, and showed him after the truck left..

They were Identical except for the Sticker on the side that read Kragen on mine and Snap On on his. Made in China! and this was 20+ years ago. He tried to return it but the truck guy said no returns on Electronics!

He and I have never bought anything from them again.

Then a few years later when comparing some Harbor Freight Wrenches they looked suspiciously like some of my Snap On Wrenches, Again Identical except for the Logo impressions on the sides, right down to the partlines on the edges and when they had the exact same defects on the edges it meant they were made in the exact same forge dies !!!

I have every kind of Wrench and Socket known to man and have been accumulating them since I was 12 years old. My Favorite Ratchet is a 1/4" Snap On made in the late 50's and given to me by a mentor along with it's 1/4" drive socket set box. He got the big 1/4' drive set box and gave me the small box. He gave me lots of tools and I still have everyone of them including my Proto Key Chain Screwdriver that I have carried everyday of my life since 1962! I lost my key chain for a few days and the only thing I cared about was that screwdriver! Luckily I found it stuck in the door of my shop! :killingpc

Now I buy most tools I rarely need from Harbor Freight, but I am currently on "F" China bent as they just tried to kill us all.

Craftsman has alway been one of my Favs as is Proto and SK Wayne. Plumb tools are way cool as well. My father gave me a Craftsman Tool box and some starter tools for my 12th Birthday and I still have all of them as well. They were Sears Dunlap wrenches and screw drivers.

Good tools will last forever! But paying for brand names that have taken companies from #1 Status to outright Liars, hurts me deeply.

All of a sudden I guess it is OK to lie to anyone and everyone or just conceal the truth?

I guess they are following the lead of our Leaders in Congress?

My .02 and I'm pretty sick of it.

Randy

Mal Paso
09-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Huh, Craftsman does not list wrenches on the made in USA section on their website. Did you buy new old stock?

SK used to make the Craftsman Professional wrenches (high polish) at one time. They are nice wrenches.

I bought them at the now defunct Orchard Supply Hardware 2 years ago. I was looking for an 18mm to fill out my HF set and the Craftsman 20 something piece set was $60 on sale. Granted some were ignition wrenches but they go to 23mm and have every size. They are longer than standard, high polish finish. Very Nice!

Can't imagine moving a forge in 2 years but anything is possible.

William Yanda
09-22-2020, 04:54 PM
There are a few applications where Snap-on has and edge on other quality tools, a little slimmer to allow access with strength to handle mucho torque. I encounter them rarely. I will admit there is a world of difference between a good quality tool and the cheapo Pacific Rim junk. That being said, Stanley is sufficient for most of my needs. I suppose that the tool world is like the reloading world in that there are snobs in both camps for whom only a certain brand or color is adequate.

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2020, 05:01 PM
What’s the story with SK tools today? I heard they went bankrupt. Has anyone bought them and started them back up?

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Looks like SK is still in business. I found these on Amazon and am considering them.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-Tool-91824-Semi-Deep/dp/B00BC4T8WO

Sig
09-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Anyone remember Williams Super Wrenches?

Ickisrulz
09-22-2020, 05:35 PM
What’s the story with SK tools today? I heard they went bankrupt. Has anyone bought them and started them back up?

The story is that the company has changed hands a few times. Today's offerings seem very good in quality. You are going to pay 2-3 times as much for SK as for a similar item from Tekton or Gearwrench, but much less that you will for a Snap-on product. SK tools are made in the USA.

jonp
09-22-2020, 05:54 PM

I think they are either made in China now or assembled in the USA of global parts. I have a set of Craftsman sockets and large wrenches that say "Made in USA" right on them. How I manged to bend the 1 1/4 wrench is a mystery. Must have been stronger in my younger days.

I had never heard of Tekton and took a look. Seems like quality stuff but for someone like me that doesn't make a living with tools I can't justify the price of Snap On, Tekton or anything else. HF and Craftsman fill my needs pretty good and both have lifetime. Craftsmans are sold out of Ace and Lowes now. If one breaks just call the 800 number and read them the number off the tool. They send a new one no questions.

GregLaROCHE
09-22-2020, 06:08 PM
In doing some research I find that SK, is now owned by Ideal industries, who owns Western Forge, who makes tools for other labels including Craftsman and Husky. SK used to make tools for Snap On. Maybe they are making tools for them today.

SK was once owned by Facom, a French tool manufacturer who once was thought of as selling the best Tools in France. I’ve heard that their quality has gone way down. Facom is now owned by Stanley.

It’s really something how companies have been bought and sold internationally and who makes what today.

dragon813gt
09-22-2020, 06:26 PM
I’m not a vehicle mechanic so a Snap-On truck doesn’t stop by my house weekly. I most likely would have invested at a young age if I had access to Snap-On. But I didn’t so I buy what’s available.

Most of my basic tools are made up of Kobalt, Craftsman and Husky. I don’t like Husky, personal reasons, and have switched to buying most Kobalt. If they are phasing this line out for Craftsman I guess that’s okay as long as the quality is still there.

I have no issue paying for tools. But I don’t like to overpay. It’s why I don’t buy Fluke meters. For my industry UEI makes a better product at an affordable price. They’re made in Korea who I have no issues giving my money to. I’ve tested those meters against the company supplied, and calibrated, Flukes. Shocker, my first UEI meter which is eighteen years old reads exactly the same as the Fluke across its range.

My toolbox has many other brands as well. I really like Wiha precision screwdrivers. I have a Facom ratcheting oil filter wrench that you will have to pry from my cold dead hands. And lately I’ve been buying Tekton impact sockets. They’re priced right for my needs.

Ickisrulz
09-22-2020, 07:56 PM
I have SK tools that have been manufactured in the last couple years and find they are of good quality. This includes wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers. Whatever problems they might have had in the past seems to have been corrected.

starnbar
09-23-2020, 08:31 AM
I have SK sockets and wrenches that my dad used and I still use them today SK was a top quality tool as good as any out there and their ratchets are easier to use in tight spots too.

farmbif
09-23-2020, 11:00 AM
one thing that snap on sockets have that many others don't is an internal ridge ring so nuts don't go to the top of inside of socket when installing nuts and bolts, saves time and frustration in many circumstances. when I started working at a dealership time was everything and any tool that could help save time in getting a repair job done right was a worthwhile expense. Back then the owner of the place was charging $100hr labor and he would come through the shop saying stuff like, "hurry hurry be careful"

30calflash
09-23-2020, 02:16 PM
Snap On dealer did the same thing with us but I guess he figured we were all stupid as he was comparing the flank drive with a plain Mac wrench. I have both of Snap On flank drive and Mac knuckle buster and problem with the Snap On is it will mess up the fastener head or nut. They work slightly better than the Mac knuckle buster if you are replacing the bolt or nut though Mac has a new wrench out that is similar but at my age I’m done buying any new tools.
I prefer Mac wrenches for the simple fact they are thicker and more square which fits my hand better but because they are thicker can give issues in tight places and that’s were the Snap On work better.
It’s really comes down to what one is doing as if I was just doing some weekend wrenching on my own things I sure wouldn’t be spending the money on tools and would be going with Craftsman or similar.
But there are some tools that only Snap On, Mac and a couple others make so you have no choice. I have tools from decades ago for Cat, Cummins and Detroit that cost big money and haven’t used in years as those engines are long gone up here anyways.

Mac didn't have their upgrade wrenches when I got the demo. Prolly 40 yrs ago. Also Mac were a lot less $$ than Snap on at one time, but it seems the prices have gone up to where they come close to equal. I've got Snap on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, SK and other specialty tools from OTC and others. They all work, can't complain about the quality of any of them now.

When the tool guys stop in I usually say hi, go out to the truck twice a year and only replace things lost. Don't need much anymore unless some new fastener comes along to have to deal with.

john.k
09-23-2020, 05:11 PM
Caterpillar used to sell a line of branded tools once,all the apprentices that were from Cat dealers had a set.....The 3/8 drive swivel sockets were the only ones that would fit the bolts in the D9G intercooler,no other brand of flexsocket would fit..........I would buy a specialized Snap On tool sometimes ,they were good for the very specialized tools.I didnt like the sales methods where they would sell an apprentice $30,000 of tools on finance.I still dont approve of it. ..But if you want crazy prices ,try the German Stahlwille tools......very expensive for the thinnest walls imagineable.

trapper9260
09-23-2020, 05:49 PM
I had bought the Snap on gasket hole punch set to cut out my over powder and shot cards and holds up for me and hold the edge .

Finster101
09-23-2020, 08:18 PM
Yup been through a few of those type of tool truck guys. But I will say in defense of the good ones that they are taking a risk giving 1000’s of dollars to someone who is paying very small payments and the tool truck owner has to pay Snap On or Mac every month. I’ve seen many rip the tool man off never to be seen again along with the tools.
What I try and get apprentices to do is buy a basic set through one of the big box stores. We don’t have Sears up here anymore as a set of Craftsman was a good deal. That way if they decide this isn’t what they want to do then not out much.
But there is always that one or two that gets sucked into buying the $6000.00 plus Snap On or Mac tool box and then they can’t afford to but the tools that they really need.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the truck guys. It's just that this one particular guy was a jerk no matter what he was doing. As it turns out one of my best friends is now a MAC distributor (route guy) and just happens to live next door. At this point in my career I don't buy much but when I do guess what it is.

Chad5005
09-23-2020, 10:54 PM
i was a heavy truck mechanic most of my life and snap on and mac tools was most of what i used,now days most all of my socket sets are sunex,great tools for the money

john.k
09-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Tool truck guys I know channel credit sales thru a broker ,and never carry the risk themselves.....on guy says he makes more from credit agency comissions than from selling tools.

farmbif
09-24-2020, 10:40 AM
OTC sure isn't what it used to be. a couple years ago I was after some new compression gauge set and vacuum gauge while working on chainsaws and figured I'd go with OTC when I got the package it was the same exact same tools that harbor freight offers with a different label. It was nothing like the quality stuff they made in years gone by. I've probably spent at least $5k on OTC tools in the past, mostly pullers, bearing separators, hydraulic pullers, the quality of their tool steels, gauges and hoses used to be the best there was, not anymore.

Mal Paso
09-25-2020, 12:02 PM
I have no issue paying for tools. But I don’t like to overpay. It’s why I don’t buy Fluke meters. For my industry UEI makes a better product at an affordable price. They’re made in Korea who I have no issues giving my money to. I’ve tested those meters against the company supplied, and calibrated, Flukes. Shocker, my first UEI meter which is eighteen years old reads exactly the same as the Fluke across its range.

UEI is 50% owned by Kline. I need 60 Hz for generators and not one UEI meter has it, darn.

dragon813gt
09-25-2020, 01:53 PM
UEI is 50% owned by Kline. I need 60 Hz for generators and not one UEI meter has it, darn.

UEI DL389. Just checked it w/ a few outlets in my house and they all read right around 60Hz. Unless I’m misunderstanding your need the meter will measure frequency.

Mal Paso
09-25-2020, 03:29 PM
UEI DL389. Just checked it w/ a few outlets in my house and they all read right around 60Hz. Unless I’m misunderstanding your need the meter will measure frequency.

Thanks! My Fluke 87 is dying and I need something that will read AC. I'll Check it out!

beezapilot
09-25-2020, 06:45 PM
I was an instructor at a mechanical school for over a decade, we got half price Matco, MAC, and Snap-On tools as a werk perk.

Kind of random- but some observations.
Snap-On Flank Drive sockets are superb.

Most people buy "philips" screwdrivers and are often aggravated with them, most of the newer fasteners that look like Philips are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) a different grind, specify JIS if you are working on newer stuff.

Never did like snap on wrenches, just don't fit in my hand well.

Loved Matco screwdrivers, nicely ergonomic, BUT have switched to Bondhus- made in USA, excellent warranty, and VERY comfortable.

Flex-head ratchets are the only way to fly, most of the upper end manufacturers have them that will lock on an angle, important.

Try looking in an MSC catalog, there are some "industrial" brands that seem well made, and made in the USA, Armstrong for example.

Most of my fractional wrenches are as old as I am- Williams, is a favorite.. yardsales.

Ickisrulz
09-26-2020, 10:15 AM
I was an instructor at a mechanical school for over a decade, we got half price Matco, MAC, and Snap-On tools as a werk perk.

Kind of random- but some observations.
Snap-On Flank Drive sockets are superb.

Most people buy "philips" screwdrivers and are often aggravated with them, most of the newer fasteners that look like Philips are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) a different grind, specify JIS if you are working on newer stuff.

Never did like snap on wrenches, just don't fit in my hand well.

Loved Matco screwdrivers, nicely ergonomic, BUT have switched to Bondhus- made in USA, excellent warranty, and VERY comfortable.

Flex-head ratchets are the only way to fly, most of the upper end manufacturers have them that will lock on an angle, important.

Try looking in an MSC catalog, there are some "industrial" brands that seem well made, and made in the USA, Armstrong for example.

Most of my fractional wrenches are as old as I am- Williams, is a favorite.. yardsales.

Almost every manufacturer of sockets now has their own version of flank drive.

KCSO
09-27-2020, 04:08 PM
My Grandfather was a mechanic for Falstaff Brewery from 1928 to 1963 and he gave a a ;lot of his tools when he retired. When I broke a Snap on wrench that was at least 50 years old Snap on replaced it with no questions. It don't get no better.

GregLaROCHE
09-27-2020, 06:22 PM
When I was in the Navy, guys would put Craftsman tools in a vise and break them. They would show the broken tool to their chief and the Navy would buy a new one. The sailor would then take the broken tool to Sears, who would replace it and then they put that tool in their personal toolbox.

alamogunr
09-27-2020, 08:56 PM
When I was in the Navy, guys would put Craftsman tools in a vise and break them. They would show the broken tool to their chief and the Navy would buy a new one. The sailor would then take the broken tool to Sears, who would replace it and then they put that tool in their personal toolbox.

Several years ago I had a friend whose son was in the Navy Submarine Service. He said that when the ship(sub) came home from a long voyage, probably long time submerged, they were commanded to toss their tools overboard before docking to make room for new tools that would be delivered before sailing again. According to my friend, a lot of tool boxes got well stocked at this time.

DDriller
09-28-2020, 12:15 AM
Anyone remember Williams Super Wrenches?

I've got a full set from 5/16" to 1 1/2" my dad gave me in 1972 . Like them a lot better than Snap-on because the Williams is not slick like Snap-on.

robg
09-29-2020, 01:49 PM
i used to buy tools 1 at time as i needed them , hand a great set after about 10 years af/whitworth/metric .had a break in lost the lot .only guy to give me a valuation to replace them for the insurance was the snap on guy .when i got the pay out i bought snap on great tools but i still miss my old kit.