PDA

View Full Version : Ultradot on a Super Blackhawk

Iwsbull
09-20-2020, 05:12 PM
I am thinking of getting a short barreled Super Blackhawk 480 and wanted to know if there was a way to mount an Ultradot on it. I know the wiggatinny fits the longer 6 1/2” barrel but think I want the shorter 4 5/8” barrel but would also like to have the option of mounting an Ultradot, as I age they are kinder than iron sights and my son has vision problems that make iron sight much less than ideal. Thanks.

Wheelguns 1961
09-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Jack Weigand makes a rail that will fit it. It mounts where the back sight screws in and has another piece that mounts over the erh. I have one on a 45 colt blackhawk, and it has held up to ruger only loads without moving. I have a sbh 480 with a 6 1/2” barrel, and have the rail that mounts on the rear sight and the front sight. I think it is overkill for the 480. I am sure you would need it on the 454. The top gun is the 480. The next one down is the blackhawk with the rail that hooks on the ejector rod housing.

Iwsbull
09-20-2020, 08:38 PM
I had thought of that but it only claimed to be good up to 44 mag level, and I am not wanting to shear off any screws. That was my only
caveat with it.

Wheelguns 1961
09-20-2020, 09:11 PM
I had thought of that but it only claimed to be good up to 44 mag level, and I am not wanting to shear off any screws. That was my only
caveat with it.

I don’t think you would sheer off screws. I think that if anything it just wouldn’t hold a good zero. There is a guy on single actions forum that used one on a short barreled 480. I will try to find out who it was and how it worked.

TheGrimReaper
09-20-2020, 09:56 PM
Jack Weigand makes a rail that will fit it. It mounts where the back sight screws in and has another piece that mounts over the erh. I have one on a 45 colt blackhawk, and it has held up to ruger only loads without moving. I have a sbh 480 with a 6 1/2” barrel, and have the rail that mounts on the rear sight and the front sight. I think it is overkill for the 480. I am sure you would need it on the 454. The top gun is the 480. The next one down is the blackhawk with the rail that hooks on the ejector rod housing.

Boy I sure like them grips on the 3rd one on the left.

Wheelguns 1961
09-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Boy I sure like them grips on the 3rd one on the left.

If you are talking about the stainless bisley, that is a 41 magnum with a vortex venom red dot on it. The grips are buckeye burl, and they were made by bearpaw grips. He has an ebay store. This is my favorite gun for deer hunting.

black mamba
09-21-2020, 10:11 AM
The light weight of the UltraDots are very advantageous, for both offhand shooting and for being easy on mounts. Not a lot of weight to overcome inertia in recoil, so they don't put much strain on mounts and rings. I shoot 340s at 1200 fps out of this BFR with UltraDot, and have no problems whatsoever with the factory rings on the BFR base.

https://i.imgur.com/4L9Zgmk.jpg

Iwsbull
09-21-2020, 12:12 PM
Thank y’all. I appreciate your help and experience.

Wheelguns 1961
09-21-2020, 04:15 PM
I got ahold of a friend that has that rail on a short barreled 480 sbh. He said he hasn’t had any problems with it at all. It stays tight and holds zero just fine.

Iwsbull
09-21-2020, 07:01 PM
Once again I really appreciate y’all helping me out with this.