PDA

View Full Version : My transfer bar broke...

cabezaverde
09-20-2020, 01:08 PM
I was planning to take my 45 convertible Blackhawk to the auction house this week. Needed to shoot up some ammo so I can sell the brass as I am getting out of 45 colt.

Two rounds left to shoot, and the cylinder won't turn. I take the cylinder out, try cocking the action, and a piece of the transfer bar falls out.

This gun is not going to make it to the upcoming auction. Has anyone changed out a transfer bar?

Thumbcocker
09-20-2020, 01:40 PM
Not hard at all. Great YouTube video by Ruger on how to disassemble and reassemble a single action. Use good fitting screw drivers and go slow. You can do it.

DougGuy
09-20-2020, 02:01 PM
If you call Ruger customer service they will send you one for free or they will send the brown truck to pick it up on their dime and they will fix that no charge to you.

May I ask why you are getting out of 45 Colt? This caliber is likely THE most popular handgun caliber to load for by a long shot. Pun intended!!! :bigsmyl2:

cabezaverde
09-20-2020, 02:34 PM
I don't really like SA revolvers, and prefer .44 special/magnum.

Ed_Shot
09-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Had .357 Blackhawk transfer bar break a couple of years ago. Ruger customer service immediately sent me a new one for free. Was not hard to replace. I believe there is an on-line how-to video.

Bazoo
09-20-2020, 08:10 PM
The manual details how to disassemble and reassemble, provided you have one. It's easy enough once you've done it a few times.

Where bouts did it break? Guess I'll have to pick up a spare for my Ruger so mine won't ever break.

elmacgyver0
09-20-2020, 08:25 PM
I don't really like SA revolvers, and prefer .44 special/magnum.

.44 magnum is available in single action.

cabezaverde
09-26-2020, 02:52 PM
OK, back at you guys on this. I think I just wasted 2 hours of my life.

Ruger sent me a new transfer bar, which I installed this afternoon. It does not come up high enough to make contact with the firing pin and hammer. Is it possible that there is more than 1 size and she sent me the wrong part?

Ed_Shot
09-26-2020, 03:23 PM
I have to ask. Since you have the two pieces of your broke transfer bar are they the same size/length (when held together) as the replacement transfer bar?

cabezaverde
09-26-2020, 03:24 PM
I have to ask. Since you have the two pieces of your broke transfer bar are they the same size/length (when held together) as the replacement transfer bar?

You are right. Stupid me trusted Ruger on this...

Alferd Packer
09-27-2020, 03:02 AM
Did you pull the hammer back to full cock?
It is possible to pull the hammer back and look in to see the transfer bar below the firing pin.
It only works at full cock.
When you pull the trigger, the t bar is held up till the hammer strike.
Then it drops down

Anyone with a SA Ruger can check this.
It will appear too short till full cock is achieved.
Just hoping this is the case.
Maybe they did send one to you for the wrong pistol?

DocSavage
09-30-2020, 08:03 PM
I would think for center fire handgun the transfer bar is the same for all the Blackhawk calibers. Had a transfer bar break on my 45 Blackhawk after who knows how many rounds returned it to Ruger fixed free of charge. Ruger are tough but they aren't indestructible.

Bazoo
09-30-2020, 11:49 PM
I have at ever swapped transfer bars, but I know hammers will interchange between calibers such as 357 and 44 magnum. I can't stand the SBH hammer so I always swap them. They drop in.

lar45
10-04-2020, 08:36 PM
With an empty gun...
Try cocking the hammer, pull the trigger and hold it back while looking at the gap at the rear of the cylinder to see if the firing pin is protruding.
This should tell you if it's long enough or not.

lar45
10-04-2020, 09:00 PM
This is my 45 BH with the hammer back

This is with the trigger pulled

FLINTNFIRE
10-04-2020, 09:58 PM
I had a blackhawk that the transfer bar would hang up on firing pin as it came up , took it apart and it was a minor fitting issue and all was good , probably why it was for sale in the first place .

oldhenry
10-04-2020, 10:07 PM
Check the plunger on the end of the cylinder pin. If it's stuck, the transfer bar will not go all the way up.