PDA

View Full Version : I like this from Facebook

cabezaverde
09-18-2020, 03:20 PM

This is Jim Thorpe. Look closely at the photo, you can see that he's wearing different socks and shoes. This wasn't a fashion statement.
It was the 1912 Olympics, and Jim, an American Indian from Oklahoma represented the U.S. in track and field. On the morning of his competitions, his shoes were stolen. Luckily, Jim ended up finding two shoes in a garbage can. That's the pair that he's wearing in the photo. But one of the shoes was too big, so he had to wear an extra sock. Wearing these shoes, Jim won two gold medals that day. This is a perfect reminder that you don't have to resign to the excuses that have held you back. So what if life hasn't been fair? What are you going to do about it today? Whatever you woke up with this morning; stolen shoes, ill health, failed relationships, failed business, don't let it stop you from running your race. You can experience more in life if you'll get over the excuses and get on with living. You can have reasons or you can have results...but you can't have both.

Winger Ed.
09-18-2020, 03:48 PM
I used to tell my 2 boys when they'd have all sorts of clever excuses why they didn't do something,
"If you think excuses are just as good as actually doing what you were supposed to--- kid, the joke is on you".

panhed65
09-18-2020, 07:26 PM
for those of you outside my area, there is a town near me named Jim Thorpe, and he is actually buried there after no one else wanted him.
Barry

FLINTNFIRE
09-19-2020, 12:52 AM
And that is sad , after all he did and he was a superb athlete , if todays sports figures were half the person he was and not a bunch of self serving egotistical lazy cry baby can not use the other words but let it be stated less then human dirt bag colon kapernicks .

monadnock#5
09-19-2020, 01:21 AM
Adversity either makes a person fold like a cheap suit, or focuses their minds to keep their eyes on the prize.

smithnframe
09-19-2020, 06:34 AM
for those of you outside my area, there is a town near me named Jim Thorpe, and he is actually buried there after no one else wanted him.
Barry

Don't you mean Mauch Chunk? I used to live in the Shamokin/Mount Carmel area!

richhodg66
09-19-2020, 07:00 AM
Thanks for posting this.

lightman
09-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting this. I learned something today. "Want to" is a good mindset to have. It can overcome a lot of obstacles.

country gent
09-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Man is an extremely smart creature and can "adapt" to a lot to over come obstacles. Ine thing I have learned is you can do a lot even with poor health / disabilities you just have to think a little more to figure out how YOU can do it.

One thing Ive told many here is Dont ever give up, Keep going . I do a lot and most from a wheel chair. It takes me longer than it did before and I may need some help with large or heavy things. But it gets done.

panhed65
09-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Don't you mean Mauch Chunk? I used to live in the Shamokin/Mount Carmel area!
that is what it used to be called. officially it is Jim Thorpe now days. big tourist spot now.
Barry

psychodad
09-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Inspirational! Thanks for the post. Wish you could find more of this kind of stuff in the news.

pertnear
09-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Add my "Thanks for Posting" to the list also!

41magjh
09-21-2020, 01:51 PM
His monument is on hwy 903 . If your going south toward pocono raceway off of I 80 903 is on the right it about 8 miles to it an it an it on the right

bedbugbilly
09-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Great post - this ought to be displayed in every classroom in this country - and twice in the lorckerrooms of all of the professional teams regardless of the sport - the spoiled, self-serving and over paid professional athletes - not all but a good share of them - could learn something from this history lesson.

Thanks for sharing - inspirational and a dose of humility at the same time.