PDA

View Full Version : First time this happened.... taught me something

Jevyod
09-18-2020, 02:19 PM
I loaded some loads last evening to test. Mold was the Noe 360-232-RF-U5 for my 358 Winchester, loaded with 3031 powder. As I was loading, I thought it seemed like the boolits were seating really hard. It crossed my mind that maybe I had not expanded the brass, but I quickly checked with my calipers and thought I could get .357 (I think I had it cocked) I was in a hurry so I forced the boolits in. At this point I thought maybe the powder coat had gotten too thick, but that didn't make sense since I resized again at .360 before loading. So I just loaded, and quickly went and shot. (it was getting close to dark) anyway, when I was almost done shooting I noticed a ring of lead left on top several of the empty cases. Uh-oh. Immediately I knew it was a bad sign. Took the gun home, and it took me an hour to get the barrel clean. Looked more closely at my brass, and decided to run a piece over the expander. Ran it, and tried to seat a bullet. Went in smoothly and and like it should. Note to self, it does not pay to be in a hurry. This was the first time I had to clean leading, and I do not like it at all!! IN the future, if something doesn't seem right, I need to stop and figure out what is going on instead of just pushing through.
On a positive side note, I was finding the velocity I wanted. 37 grains IMR 3031 gave me 2050 fps and an inch and a half group at 100 yards. Gave me a good place to start. The last group (39 grains) opened up pretty much, but I expect the lead in the barrel had something to do with that!