PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 9mm

ryanmattes
09-18-2020, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of threads on this, and I've read all of them that I could find, but I'm still interested in recommendations.

I never loaded for 9mm before, because I could buy bulk for $0.17/rnd, and hand loads cost as much or more, plus the time I had to put into it. But with the recent run on ammo, I want to replace my plinking ammo with cast. Of course, if I'm going to cast and load for it, I'll want to experiment and try to get decent performance out of it also.

I'm open to suggestions for weight, bullet style, etc. I think these will need to be PCd, to overcome velocity limitations, and I don't want to pan lube in bulk. PC vs Hi-Tek?

So who has a mould that drops a great, easy-feeding, decent performance boolit that they want to tell me about? What's your process, load data, etc? Issues with leading and the like?

I'm looking for a good, general purpose plinking boolit, lube/coat, and load for semi-auto pistol. I mostly shoot Sigs in 9mm, but might load for a few others as needed.

Ryan

Dusty Bannister
09-18-2020, 07:54 AM
This information has been provided in the following link and recommends two Lee bullets that are available in both 2 cav and 6 cav molds. This is in post #1 of the thread. Due to many variables, it is always suggested you work up your load from the suggested starting book load. The problem you are likely to have is that these molds or any bullet molds, may not be in stock at this time.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121607-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Cosmic_Charlie
09-18-2020, 07:57 AM
I would start with a Lee 356-120 TC mold. That style boolit will work with most 9mm barrels in terms of throat compatibility. Then slug your barrel so you know what to size your boolits to. Maybe start with straight coww alloy air cooled. Powder coat and size accordingly. There are some good threads on casting for and loading 9mm. I recently tried some of my 9mm loads that worked well in my M&P 9 but shot poorly in my new CZ 75 B. It can be a fussy cartridge to get cast boolit results from.

Edit; You should slug your barrel first before ordering a mold.

Thunder Stick
09-18-2020, 09:36 AM
9mm reloading turned out to be more difficult for me to learn than straight wall pistol, or bottle neck rifle reloading. The tapered case was squeezing down the base diameter on my cast projectiles. It gave me a problem with accuracy and leading. I ended up using an expander from a 38 Special that helped prevent "squeeze down." But size is king. My 9mm slugged .357" and my cast projectiles dropped at .356". Powder coating eliminated the leading problem and increased bullet diameter. Now I get accuracy better than factory ammo.

The cast bullet I'm working with is the Lee 124 grain, RN TL. I was given thousands of them by a friend years ago. With the ammo shortage, I figured it was time to load them up. I had good success with WW231, AA#5 and Unique powders. I had poor success with Bulleseye which was dirty and did not give the accuracy of my other powders in my guns. Blue Dot worked well in both my pistol and 9mm carbine.

A search here on Cast Boolets will give up lots of load data.

ioon44
09-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Right now you need to see if you can get small pistol primers, before you invest in casting equipment.

trapper9260
09-18-2020, 11:10 AM
For some of my 9mm I do use the expander and seating die for the size of the cast boolites I need to load in them for what my gun slug to I use the 357 mag dies I have ,

ryanmattes
09-18-2020, 12:49 PM
The barrel slugs at .356, so I think I'm looking for something that drops at .357-.358 in order to give me options, whether to go with a full-size .358 or to size down in increments to find the right bullet for my barrel.

Edit: I have the old style Lyman 385429, but it's way too long to seat properly in a 9mm case.

Ryan

Conditor22
09-18-2020, 01:16 PM
I PC all my boolits so mold sizes aren't that critical. I've found that several guns prefer .358 and shot like a shotgun at smaller dimensions. A lot of it depends on your barrel how deep the grooves are/type of rifling. IF you get one that drops at 358 (like you said) you can always size it down. your barrel will give you the answer by shooting different sizes and loads

The 2 biggest problems loading 9MM
The 2 biggest problems/causes of failure with loading cast in 9MM are OVER-CRIMPING & downsizing the boolit when seating.
The 9MM has a tapered case.

Crimping, I use the Lee FCD and only crimp to where the boolit won't move when the cartridge is pushed against a hard object.

For seating I like the NOE neck sizing dies so much I talked with a member ob CB who made a Lee powder through die with the NOE profile of several different diameters. I've had good luck expanding the brass using the same diameter expanding plug as the boolit diameter (brass springs back .001 after expanding and that.
.001 does the job holding the boolit in place!

A 38spcl/357mag expander plug should work also

I used to expand the neck with the NOE neck sizing die the use the Lee powder through setup to charge the case.

Ues a kinetic boolit puller and make sure you're not downsizing the boolit in either of these operations.

this will go a long way toward tightening up your groups and preventing leading/tumbling

jsizemore
09-18-2020, 01:21 PM
The biggest groove dimension on my sigs is .3555. The throats are a different story. I hitek coat and size to .3578 so they survive the trip through the throat. That half thousandth in the groove was so I could lap that sorry roto-forged barrel. One barrel was too big in the throat to use even the .3578 bullet cuz the neck of the chamber was too small. Slug your barrel to find it's dimensions and reduce your frustrations. I had to get Lathesmith to make me a custom expander/powder funnel for my 550 to get those bullets to seat without reducing their size. I seem to remember .356. He made it a bit oversized and I polished it to final dimension. I shoot the same ammo in my west germany P226 without issue. I was gifted the same lot of brass from my local PD's qualification range time so it's pretty consistent. I'm using NOE mold HTC 356-135-RF, CCI SP primers and 3.55 grains of Clean Shot. I didn't have to do a thing to my pistols to get 100% function. My final cost is 6 cents/round. Good Luck with your adventure.

Ed_Shot
09-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Right now you need to see if you can get small pistol primers, before you invest in casting equipment.

^^ What he said.

Otherwise I'd recommend the Lee 356-120-TC or for a better quality mold the NOE 359-121-RN (which is in stock today). It is easy to make either of these feed very reliably. COAL is weapon dependant, you can plunk-test for your chamber. I find perfect function in multiple 9MM's with the 356-120-TC at COAL 1.052" and the 359-121-RN at COAL 1.065". I recommend sizing to .358 not only because it works in every 9MM I've loaded for but also because if you don't expand the case neck to .356 you're probably going to size nown your bullet anyway. .001" is a very small measure. As for loads, get at least two good manuals and see what your weapon likes best. My go-to is Blue Dot 6.5 gr. for the two boolits mentioned above. It's not hard to out perform factory ammo.

gwpercle
09-18-2020, 02:14 PM
I went through several different 9mm moulds ...the Lee 356-120-TC , 120 gr. truncated cone , was about the right weight and the TC profile fed from all 4 different pistols I had . All liked boolits sized .357 " .
I wanted to use a softish alloy , air cooled and drive them to 1,000 fps which gave me the idea of a gas checked boolit .
That led to a NOE 358-124-TC-GC mould . It's a winner . Sized .357 I use it in 9mm luger loads .
Size the same bullet to .358 and I use it in 38 Special +P loads and even 357 Magnum loads .
The gas check lets me drive them to some decent velocities .
If you have a 357 magnum rifle this one is just the ticket ... the GC keeps the lead at bay .
If I want any plain base ... I have the Lee 2 cavity mould . But the 4 cavity NOE is getting all the action . I'm one who isn't allergic to gas checks and see a benifit from using them .
One thing I don't care for is the round nose design ... I have the Lee 356-125-2R and they feed just fine ... but I always grab the TC or a SWC design when casting . The Lee 358-105-SWC makes a surprisingly good 9mm boolit ... I have a WWII era Walther P-38 that loves that one .

Gary

ryanmattes
09-18-2020, 02:17 PM
I have a Lee .38 long and short die set, I should be able to use the expander for opening the case mouth enough.

I am dangerously low on all primers (except LR, I have about 1800 or so, including a hundred pack of magnum that I haven't ever needed, and I only use them for .308), I hadn't restocked before all this happened. But I've got enough to do a few runs and work out a cast and load, and hopefully in the next month or two I'll be able to restock.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-18-2020, 02:32 PM
Really a shame about the primer situation. Hard to sell reloading equipment when there are no primers. I just cast some pure lead .359 boolits to do some barrel slugging. Got a new to me CZ 75 that won't shoot .357 boolits well at all. Think I can deal with a .358 groove diameter but any bigger would be a problem. We shall see.......

Txcowboy52
09-18-2020, 02:35 PM
I second the 356-120gr TC and powder coating.

ryanmattes
09-18-2020, 03:29 PM
Did some looking and found a couple molds available. Ordered the Lee 358-125-RF and the 356-120-TC based on the above recommendations, both in 6 cavity to speed up production.

For ~$40-$60 each, I'm not out much if one doesn't work for my pistol, and it may still work for someone else who wants to let me play with their toys. Went ahead and got the .356, .357, and .358 sizing dies while I was at it. There's a gun show coming in a couple weeks, where I can usually score some primers and powders. It'll take a while for me to get the stuff in, cast a bunch, and work up some loads, but I'll report back with my findings.

After that, I'll start digging into coatings. Any opinions on PC vs HI-TEK?

jsizemore
09-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Folks on this site get good results from both PC and Hitek. Pick your poison.

I want to point out that the start of the web on a 9mm case is a lot farther up the case wall then 38/357. You may have to expand and flare in 2 steps. I didn't have enough die space on my Dillon to do that. You can do it the multistep way to figure out what you need before you make the investment.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-18-2020, 07:24 PM
Folks on this site get good results from both PC and Hitek. Pick your poison.

I want to point out that the start of the web on a 9mm case is a lot farther up the case wall then 38/357. You may have to expand and flare in 2 steps. I didn't have enough die space on my Dillon to do that. You can do it the multistep way to figure out what you need before you make the investment.

I just ordered a 6 cav Lee 358-105 SWC partly because my CZ has a larger groove diameter and also the shorter boolit will be easier to case mouth expand for. I can also use it in my K-38 Smith. We can all report back on our results.

Finster101
09-18-2020, 07:34 PM
The Lee 358-105 is a fine little boolit for 9mm or .38. A six cavity will allow you to produce plenty of them. Once I learned where to seat them all of my 9,s run them well.

Jniedbalski
09-18-2020, 10:23 PM
My lee 158 125 Rf and the lee 356 120 tc is

Jniedbalski
09-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Is great in my 9 mm not sized. I got the Lee 358 105 I haven’t shot yet but casted a bunch up. I use only white lable lube 45/45/10 or lee liquid alox. 3.5 to 4 gr of bulseye works great for 115 to 125 gr bullets. Only problem my high point likes Bullets sized to .357 and all the rest like .358. I use range scrap to wheel weights. I even tried wheel weights cut in half with pure lead .I do use the NOE expanders With the lee flare tool and get no leading.

Kosh75287
09-19-2020, 04:36 PM
This doesn't address your bullet casting/sizing issues, but I'd like to suggest that you use Unique or BE-86 as a propellant. It'll largely take the "Is this the right propellant?" question out of the equation.
I found out the other day that I've been a proponent of Alliant Unique for so many cartridges for so many years, that my local reloader friends refer to me as "Mr. Unique". In any case, I'm going to do it again. I've obtained best results in 9mm with Unique or BE-86, followed by Herco, followed by AA#5. I've found that the very fastest burning powders tend to yield mediocre results. I've had at least adequate results with most powders that are no faster than Red Dot or W231, and no slower than Blue Dot.

ryanmattes
09-19-2020, 04:44 PM
I use unique more than 50% of the time in most of the pistol loads I do anyway. It's a safe assumption that unique would be at the top of my list anyway, although not a foregone conclusion, since I haven't loaded for 9mm before.

In fact, the only reason I might want to try to find another powder that will work is because I use unique in so many other loads, and I'm running low.

blackthorn
09-20-2020, 12:45 PM
This doesn't address your bullet casting/sizing issues, but I'd like to suggest that you use Unique or BE-86 as a propellant. It'll largely take the "Is this the right propellant?" question out of the equation.
I found out the other day that I've been a proponent of Alliant Unique for so many cartridges for so many years, that my local reloader friends refer to me as "Mr. Unique". In any case, I'm going to do it again. I've obtained best results in 9mm with Unique or BE-86, followed by Herco, followed by AA#5. I've found that the very fastest burning powders tend to yield mediocre results. I've had at least adequate results with most powders that are no faster than Red Dot or W231, and no slower than Blue Dot.

What range in grains of Herco do you use? I have a lot of Herco that I have to use up and I just started loading for 9mm Auto.

dangerranger
09-20-2020, 03:02 PM
What range in grains of Herco do you use? I have a lot of Herco that I have to use up and I just started loading for 9mm Auto.

I use the lower end of Unique data and work up to where I want to be. Herco and Unique are right next to each other on the burn charts, and act much the same in loads. The biggest difference between them I have found is the burn color. When you fire a magnum load of unique the flash is white hot and as bright as an arc welder! An equal load of Herco has a dull orange flame. If you shoot indoors or in low light it becomes more evident! Good Luck, DR

dangerranger
09-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Like the OP, I did not load 9mm. There was just not a lot of savings in it. But the way things are, I dug out an old set of dies and started loading 9mm. I have a couple molds that I make bullets for 38 super, and 38 spl, that I can get good 9mm bullets from.
What I had forgotten is that the tapered case is a pain to set the sizing die to just bring the case down to the right size. I'm using old steel C-H dies and if you set them to where the shell holder touches the die, it undersizes the case. Then when I seat a bullet it swages a bulge in the case.
My first test batch all passed the plunk test , and fired well, But I will do better on the next test run.
I knew there was a reason I didn't like loading 9mm.
This time I'll be sure to record how high I need to lift the die to get them right!
I loaded a 124 gr Lee TC bullet over 3.8 gr of TiteGroup. They all cycled, and were accurate enough. I just need to work on the die setting. DR

Kosh75287
09-20-2020, 03:29 PM
BLACKTHORN, the range of charge weights for Herco in 9x19mm with 125s was 5.6 - 6.2 gr. If memory serves, 5.8/Herco/125 LRN gave me ~1050 f/s. They're right, about the muzzle flash. I'm betting that it'd decrease somewhat with heavier charges & higher pressures.

And I tried Herco in 9mm because I, too, ran out of Unique, because I use it so much!

porthos
09-20-2020, 07:16 PM
question about the Lee 120TC. what sizes are you getting as it drops from the mold. i hope to get .358. i haven't got one yet. it will be my first 9mm mold. i will get a 2 cavity and if it works; i will up-grade

blackthorn
09-21-2020, 01:30 PM
Thank you Kosh75287.

trixter
09-22-2020, 12:03 PM
For monetary reasons many years ago I started casting my own boolits. I started with .45auto. When I bought my 9mm I bought a mold for that too, I started with the Lee TL 356-124 2R, and it served me very well for a long time. I bought a mold for my 45 auto that made H&G 68 clones (Semi Wad Cutter) because of the beautiful holes it makes in the paper. I found that Lee makes a SWC mold in 9 mm and bought one (a 2 cavity). It is actually sold as a 358-105 SWC. I size them down to .357. I was a little concerned by the weight, but after pouring some and using Lee Liquid Alox, I was totally impressed. So when powder coating came along I tried that on them and was even more impressed. I have had a lot of fun finding the right powder and grains for the load, but have had a lot of success. I know, pretty holes is a goofy reason to choose a boolit shape, but that is just me. I really love this hobby/sport.

ryanmattes
09-22-2020, 12:50 PM
I have to admit, in my recent first tests with the 454424 I was amazed how the ground behind the target looked like someone dropped their hole punch and spilled out a bunch of intentionally cut, perfectly circular little bits of paper. I can't explain why that was so satisfying, but it definitely was.

My concern with SWC for 9mm would be with proper feeding across various pistols. An RNTC seems like a safer bet.

The Lee 356-120 and the 358-125 came in, but they're both 6 cavity, and I don't currently have any 6 cav mold handles, so I guess I have to wait for handles to be delivered.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
09-28-2020, 03:02 PM
Got my Lee 358-105. Drops nice boolits at .3595". Just powder coated a small batch and sized 30 to .358". Loaded on top of 4.2 grains of Titegroup. Will be testing these in my CZ 75 B. I'm using a NOE expander and Dillon 9mm dies which have separate seat and crimp dies. We shall see.......

higgins
09-28-2020, 03:26 PM
I cast the Lee 358-125-rf for my 9mm with a .3580 groove dia. and get good accuracy. My mold drops them at around .358 (give or take .0001) so you do have other options. I have not yet loaded any .38 spl. with them so can't speak to that.

ryanmattes
09-28-2020, 03:50 PM
I cast 100 or so from each mold for testing, and they both drop at right about .3580-.3585.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200928/bf2c54d4788a8ec06d745e94ec637d27.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200928/956de6d4bf5f316e18f35bcf0b9ae14f.jpg

I have sizer dies for .356, .357, and .358, so I'll seat and crimp one of each size for both boolit styles, and see how they look, if they bulge, how they seat, how they chamber, etc.

Whichever ones work that far, I'll load and start shooting with the smaller diameters and work my way up, watching for leading, seeing how they group, if they keyhole, etc.

I'll just pan lube these test rounds, but once I figure out the boolits themselves I'll start looking at coatings.

Then I'll borrow a 9mm from my brother, and maybe one from a friend, and do it all again to see if I can find a "standard" bullet and load to make that I can actually share without causing problems.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-29-2020, 08:10 AM
I cast 100 or so from each mold for testing, and they both drop at right about .3580-.3585.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200928/bf2c54d4788a8ec06d745e94ec637d27.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200928/956de6d4bf5f316e18f35bcf0b9ae14f.jpg

I have sizer dies for .356, .357, and .358, so I'll seat and crimp one of each size for both boolit styles, and see how they look, if they bulge, how they seat, how they chamber, etc.

Whichever ones work that far, I'll load and start shooting with the smaller diameters and work my way up, watching for leading, seeing how they group, if they keyhole, etc.

I'll just pan lube these test rounds, but once I figure out the boolits themselves I'll start looking at coatings.

Then I'll borrow a 9mm from my brother, and maybe one from a friend, and do it all again to see if I can find a "standard" bullet and load to make that I can actually share without causing problems.

Good looking boolits there!

mdi
09-29-2020, 02:53 PM
My favorite mold for my 9mm, 38 Spec., and 357 Mag is the Lee 358-125-RF. I just size it to the gun it's to be used in. I started out just pan lubing, then dip lubing and PCed several hundred. All worked quite well in my 9mm pistols. Lately I've been getting lazy and just lube them with my Speed Green or Carnauba Red...

ryanmattes
09-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Pan lubing is fine in small batches, but it seems like PC or Hi-Tek would be faster at volume. I can only pan lube about 50 at a time, and I spend way too much time cleaning the lube off the bases and crimp grooves.

With PC or Hi-Tek I could do 500 at a time, and no cleaning the bullets one at a time.

Txcowboy52
09-29-2020, 03:31 PM
Great looking boolits !

ryanmattes
10-01-2020, 03:05 AM
I seated all 3 sizes of both styles in an empty case, to make sure they fed and chambered properly, and all 3 chambered fine, both directly (by hand) and from the magazine.

Next step is to load up a set of 20 in each size and both styles, and see which shoots best. Hopefully none of them leave leading.

Looks like the TC got damaged a bit by the feed ramp, so that's not good. But the bullet seating die seems to have left a mark on the RF, so.ill have to look at that too.

I'll also need to experiment with the seating depth and crimp, since the TC doesn't have a crimp groove but the RF does. But since 9mm indexes on the case, I can't really use the crimp groove. I assume that's intended for .357. So do I just seat past the crimp groove and taper crimp over it?

Also, anyone have trouble with the Lee FCD resizing your bullets for you? Is it squashing my .358 sized bullets down to .356? I didn't really feel the sizing ring when I crimped, so I'm not sure it did anything, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem using the FCD, and if I need to get the standalone taper crimp die.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/7241a9b96a3797ebc6f00d8ee1cbc437.jpg

charlie b
10-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Nice job.

Only you can tell if the FCD is causing problems. A way to find out is to pull a few bullets and measure their diameter.

The crimp groove thing is not an issue. Just seat and taper crimp where the round will feed properly.

The seating stem can be an issue with different shape bullets. Some mfgs including two different stems, one for RN and one for SWC. Once you decide which bullet you will use for a gun, then you can reshape the seating stem if you want (for pistols it really doesn't cause a problem). Either by cutting, or, with some JB Weld (wax a bullet/case with Johnson's past wax, put a blob of JB Weld in the end of the seating stem and press it against the bullet, wipe off excess, let set).

ryanmattes
10-01-2020, 06:28 PM
I think because the 9mm case it tapered, the sizing ring in the FCD never touches the case at the mouth. Just an logical deduction, I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty confident. On a straight case it might cause a problem.

The ones I seated all fed great by manually cycling the action, but the test loads will tell the real story.

The die set has another seating stem, I'll have to check it against the RF slug and see if it fits better. It was late and I just wanted to get them crimped and tested, a little mar on them doesn't matter for what I was trying to test.

Good news is, since they all chamber correctly, I have options to test, to find what works best.

gwpercle
10-01-2020, 08:00 PM
question about the Lee 120TC. what sizes are you getting as it drops from the mold. i hope to get .358. i haven't got one yet. it will be my first 9mm mold. i will get a 2 cavity and if it works; i will up-grade

If you want a .358 size , the Lee mould probably isn't going to give it to you .
Lee moulds are sorta a crapp-shoot , my Lee 356-120-TC and 356-125-2R both drop them right at .357" , both moulds are double cavity .

Now the NOE 358-124-TC does drop boolits .358" from my 4 cavity mould . I have a gas check design on all 4 cavities and use that bullet in 38 special and 357 Magnum sized .358" .
Sized .357 I use it in 9mm Luger .
If you want a .358" boolit ...go with the NOE mould ...it will make you Happy-Happy !
Gary

ryanmattes
10-01-2020, 08:04 PM
I just got the 356-120-TC and it drops at .3580-.3585. Guess I got lucky.

hickfu
10-01-2020, 08:07 PM
Its also going to depend on your alloy, My alloy is WW with 4% pewter added and my Lee 356-120-TC drops at 3595 to 360.

fredj338
10-02-2020, 02:13 PM
Just about all I shoot in 9mm are coated cast, mostly range scrap with a bit of clip ww. From 124, 135 & 147gr, I used to size to 0.357" but found 0.356" shoots just as well with no case bulging issues in most brass. I like faster powder for just paper punching. I shoot mostly WST, but vv320, Ramshot Comp, Red Dot, Sport Pistol, W231, all work fine. I save the medium burners for max loads to duplicate 124gr +P SD ammo.

fredj338
10-02-2020, 02:15 PM
I just got the 356-120-TC and it drops at .3580-.3585. Guess I got lucky.

Alloy & casting temp will determine as cast size.

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2020, 05:07 AM
i shot 9s even in competition for about 15 years. Owned many many of them and still have 9. If i had to pick one bullet that shinned over the years in all of them it would be the rcbs 121 grain round nose. It feeds and shoots well in everything. Be careful though because they sell a version of that mold with a shoulder that is suppose to cut a cleaner hole in paper for scoring but that bullet is a dud. Mold quality is typical rcbs. Great.

ryanmattes
10-04-2020, 01:17 AM
6 sets of 20, I'll shoot em this week to find out which bullet shape and size feeds, chambers, shoots, and groups the best. Then I have to find a coating for them, so I don't have to lube them 40 at a time. I want to do bulk.

The seating die still mars the RNFP, even switching to the RF stem. If that the style that wins, I'll have to do something about it. These are good enough for testing though.

Loaded them all with 3.5 grains of titegroup. The weight was close enough between the two moulds that I just charged them all the same. The TC came out 123-124, and the RF came out 126-127.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201004/9c967e66ad392ca53727aa513c7c6017.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201004/b757bbb0845450366d109320f95274d0.jpg

Cosmic_Charlie
10-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Here is a 10 yard rapid fire group out of my M&P 9 2.0. Lee 358125r sized to .357. Powder coated half coww/ half pure with tin. Titegroup powder.

Overall length is short with this boolit @ 1.065". Have to be cautious with the powder charge initially. Very careful also not to over crimp. The pistol has an Apex barrel and flat faced forward set trigger so it is easy to shoot well though I was a bit flinchy yesterday.

ryanmattes
10-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Here is a 10 yard rapid fire group out of my M&P 9 2.0. Lee 358125r sized to .357. Powder coated half coww/ half pure with tin. Titegroup powder.

Overall length is short with this boolit @ 1.065". Have to be cautious with the powder charge initially. Very careful also not to over crimp. The pistol has an Apex barrel and flat faced forward set trigger so it is easy to shoot well though I was a bit flinchy yesterday.At 1.065, what charge were you using? Mine are seated even a little shorter than that, with a decent, not heavy, crimp.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-06-2020, 12:19 PM
At 1.065, what charge were you using? Mine are seated even a little shorter than that, with a decent, not heavy, crimp.

Just can't remember the charge Ryan. I am going to have to take one apart. The reason I had a pic of the AOL was because I didn't write that down either and I want to duplicate the load now. Sloppy of me not to record the load.

I remove the barrel from the pistol and use it to set the crimp. Little by little until it chambers. I get the seating depth first by seating out a ways and giving it a good crimp. Then I drop them in the chamber and seat deeper little by little until they chamber fully.

ryanmattes
10-06-2020, 12:21 PM
How short before they get unsafe, you think? Just wondering if I should worry about these I've already loaded.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-06-2020, 01:27 PM
How short before they get unsafe, you think? Just wondering if I should worry about these I've already loaded.

No idea Ryan. I know others here are using that boolit in 9mm and seating it deep. The 9mm case is small though and things can go South quickly. Loads for cast boolits weighing 147 grs. might be a good guide though.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-06-2020, 06:28 PM
At 1.065, what charge were you using? Mine are seated even a little shorter than that, with a decent, not heavy, crimp.

Took one apart and got 3.5 of Titegroup.

ryanmattes
10-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Took one apart and got 3.5 of Titegroup.That's the same charge I have, but seated to 1.030.

Would you worry? Or just shoot one at a time and look for signs of trouble between shots?

Cosmic_Charlie
10-07-2020, 12:01 PM
That's the same charge I have, but seated to 1.030.

Would you worry? Or just shoot one at a time and look for signs of trouble between shots?

Factory ball ammo seems much snappier than my 3.5 of Titegroup. You should be o.k.

ryanmattes
10-08-2020, 12:42 AM
Shot em this morning. Got keyholing on the .356 sized for both bullet shapes, worse for the RNFP. The .358 sized had a wider spread and worse leading, so it looks like .357 is what my pistol likes.

Below are the targets, 20 rounds each at 5 yards offhand, loaded 1 at a time for 3 rounds to make sure there weren't any problems, then a mag of 7, and then a mag of 10. I scrubbed the bore to clear any leading after each 10 rounds. I probably rushed the latter half of the mags.

There was clear leading on all of them, despite the lube. All the lube seemed to do is produce smoke. On my .45lc the lube works, but I'm casting the Keith SWC with the large, square lube groove. These have tiny lube grooves, and I don't think it's enough to stop the leading.

The TC seemed to have more overall spread, but also had more in the red. I think in both cases the problem was with the shooter, not the round. Also, it's a 3" barrel, so not exactly the most precise. With my 7.5" .45lc I was cutting the red out, and maybe shooting the 9mm second was part of the problem too. Fatigue plays a part, especially when I'm breaking and cleaning 12 times in a session.

In practical terms, the 356-120-TC gives me more room to adjust seating depth, due to the lack of a crimp groove, it casts faster, easier, and more consistently, and it feeds great in my pistol, so I think that's the one I'll move forward with for now.

I got a shipment of Hi-Tek in today, Old Gold and Copper Red, so now I'll cast a few hundred, buy a cheap convection oven, and start playing with coatings. Once I'm happy with the coating and get some consistent boolits, I'll look at tweaking the charge and seating depth to fine-tune.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201008/3b76236ed2c408300828ad70776fd877.jpg

fcvan
10-09-2020, 05:03 PM
I have been casting/loading/shooting 9mm since 1985, a S&W 459, but now it's a 639. Several Glocks, a Taurus 709, AR 15 carbines, and a Marlin Camp 9. All get sized to .358 as that is what my first mold dropped them at. I have shot an insane amount of 9mm in 35 years and the only time I key-holing was when I tried a .357 sizing die. Needless to say, I put it on swapping and selling after using it the 1 time.

9mm is for rolling tin cans most of the time, carried a 1911 45 for many years until my wife brought me home a Glock 22C which then became my EDC. Some years later my agency switched to G22s so It was a good fit. I bought 9mm drop in barrels for the G22 and G23, extra magazines, etc., for my Brother's and my wife's G22s and G23s A good day at the range starts with 9mm for trigger time, and then transitioning to 40 to keep the muscle memory with the heavier boolits. After that its basically pick up the brass and go home.

Somebody said 9mm is a PITA to load for but I never experienced that. I approached 9mm like I was taught by dad for .38/.357/ 41 Mag. Just starting on my own, I was pan lubing the unsized Lee 356-125 2R. Later I got a Lyman 450 and now I PC everything. As long as the plunked I knew I was good. A year or so later I got a S&W M13 in .357, but mostly shot 38s using the same boolit.

I lost count at around 750k boolits cast with that old mold I've rebuilt twice. I was only shooting 1000-1250 rounds per week, but casting on average 2000 per week. Baseball or country music and I was GTG. I had a bunch of friends from work, some reloaded, some came to my house to reload. I would trade 500 boolits for a pound of powder, 500 for 1000 primers, and the lead was free from that range at work, good times.

Sure, I have bought more molds for .380, 9mm, .357 Sig, and .38/.357 but I always seem to drag out 'old trusty' and run the PCd boolts through the .358 sizing die, it just works for me.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Discovered that both my CZ 75 barrel and the Apex one in my M&P can take my Lee 356-125R seated out 1.085" OAL. Loaded some up with 4.6 of Unique today to see if I could tighten up the groups. Was getting some scatter with theTitegroup. Casting and loading 9mm has gone fairly well. Good function, no leading and promising accuracy. These boolits are powder coated and sized to .357".

ryanmattes
10-12-2020, 06:59 PM
I coated a test group of Lee 356-120-TC (drops .3590-.3595 with my alloy and process) with Hi-Tek Old Gold yesterday, sized them to .357 today. I'll load em up this week and see how they shoot probably this weekend.

Looks like a pot o' gold! Given what factory ammo costs these days, that might not be far off.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201012/d05f96c0040b3a9641a16bdb2587478e.jpg

Cosmic_Charlie
10-13-2020, 11:20 AM
Nice Ryan!

Cosmic_Charlie
10-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Loaded up some 147 grainers today with 4.6 grains of HS-6. This powder meters very well in the auto disk. Seated the boolits with about 3/64" of the shoulder showing. This is the mold; https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/355-9mm/htc358-147-rn-g6

ryanmattes
11-17-2020, 01:25 PM
Since I posted here last I've done a number of tests, varying powders, getting the coating right, and so on. Once I settled on a process I cast about 16lbs, coated and sized. I've switched the powder to Unique (of course) because it tightened up my groups a bit. No problems with case bulging, and the taper crimp doesn't seem to be sizing down the slug any. I do open the case mouth quite a bit to seat, which probably shortens the life of my cases, but it's 9mm, they're cheap enough that I'm not too worried about it. I was having problems with the seater stem scratching off the coating occasionally if the slug wasn't perfectly straight, but that was with only one coat of Hi-Tek. With a second coat, no problems.

Here's my cast/load data:

Lee 356-120-TC
20:1 Lead from window lead scrap and 60/40 bar solder, BHN ~10
Water dropped, weighed and sorted to 125gr +/- 0.5gr,
Coated twice with Hi-Tek Old Gold
Sized to .357 in a Lee push-through sizer

Win cases, trimmed to ~.745
CCI #500 primer
4.7gr of Unique
COL is 1.075 +/-.0005

On 7-10 yard targets they stay mostly in a 4" group with occasional flyers that are likely more about the shooter than the load. Also, it's my EDC, a Sig 365XL with a 3.5" barrel, so something with a longer barrel would probably tighten that up. Overall, it's a load I can use for practice and plinking. With the current price of 9mm, I'll keep my 2 boxes of expensive factory ammo for EDC, and shoot these at the range until the prices level out. I've got 700 or so of that 16lbs I cast left, plenty of lead, and 5 or 6 lbs of Unique, so as long as I can stay in primers for a reasonable price, I've got a good $0.05/round 9mm load for the range.

kevin c
11-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Seems like you have something that works for you that you cast, coated and load developed yourself. Satisfying, isn't it?

Maybe I should say, satisfying for the moment. If time, your interest, and access to components like primers allow, I'd bet you'll get loads that will give you more accuracy through the same barrels.

For the problem of the coating getting scraped off during seating, I found that more mouth flare helped, but so did having a seating stem that kept the bullet perfectly upright as it entered the case. A runout issue with my press made the problem worse, but a custom shaped stem made with JB Weld, as described by someone else in this thread, made a big difference.

ryanmattes
11-17-2020, 05:28 PM
I'll definitely keep tweaking the load, and as I get better at casting and coating the boolits improve in consistency too. I'm not a huge fan of the TC profile, I prefer an RNFP or SWC for target shooting, and I'll probably look for a HP mould before too long too. You know, its never done, just good enough for a while. But at least I have a baseline to start from, and took the mystery out of loading for 9mm.

TRSmith
11-17-2020, 06:06 PM
Thunder Stick, do you think Titegroup and Accurate #2 be OK to use with Hi-Tek coated bullets for 9mm target practice under a mild load? Something at Hoosier Bullets suggested that fast burning powders are not great to use Hi-Tek bullets. Please advise...

ryanmattes
11-17-2020, 06:41 PM
I did a number of loads with Titegroup.

3.5 grains behind a 125-ish grain bullet shot fine, the groups just tightened up a bit with unique.

Load data attached, if you can read my chicken scratch handwriting (target at 10 yards). Not a good grouping, but most of that was me.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201117/376a7fdb34e80c244d8a09990caba2ca.jpg

That's from my first batch of Hi-Tek Old Gold 9mm.