PDA

View Full Version : NLG bullets and BLL

dverna
09-17-2020, 07:59 AM
I plan to purchase mold for a Master Caster. It will be likely be a 158 gr SWC, but I may go with the 170 gr RNFP. I want a general purpose load for target shooting, and coyotes. I expect a No Lube Groove bullet will cause less hang-up in the mold block so I am leaning that way.

I would prefer to shoot these bullets un-sized and coated with BLL. Cannot think of an easier way to get bullets.

Has anyone used BLL on a No Lube Groove bullet and if so, what velocities have you achieved. These will be .357 loads out of a carbine. Alloy will be 92-6-2.

I will be using the original BLL made with Johnson's One Step. I have no interest in PC'ing for a variety of reasons. If BLL will not work, I will purchase a traditional bullet and use a lube with a Star.

TIA

Ben
09-17-2020, 09:30 AM
If the bullet " fits " will have an awful lot to do with your chances for a smile. People who shoot sub-sized bullets blame their results on lube ( a lot of different kinds of lube ). The bullet must fit.

Ben

Doughty
09-17-2020, 09:57 AM
I've been using BLL on no lube groove bullets in .308, .375 and .452 diameters @ velocities from 750 to 1700 fps. I lube, size, then lube again. No problems so far. Again, "fit" is very important.