PDA

View Full Version : Wni M94 tang sights

sundog
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
is the screw hole span the same for Lyman and Marble's, specifically on the Win 94?

Jon K
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, gun mfg sets the center - center distance, and screw/thread size.

Jon

sundog
12-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Maybe I should rephrase the question. Older M94s had to be D&T'd for the front screw. That mean's that the sight manufacturer could put it any distance based on the sight itself.

I noticed on the Buffalo Arms sight that they sell newer style Marbles that are sold as components, base, riser, and appertrues, with asundry screws depending on configuration. One of t he bases actually has a slotted rear screw hole which would allow for variable center to center span for existing screws. This would be helpful if the front hole were D&T'd for installation after market.

So, what I still need to know is, do the older tang sight bases have the same span? Jon, by your reply it sounds like the front screw hole is already there.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Make sure you get one for the 94, because you want it to have a detent that will set it up vertical, with your 94's grip(tang) angle. If you're drilling the front hole, the center to center distance doesn't matter. you can mount it with the new, longer, tang screw, and center punch the spot to drill the forward hole, carefully measuring to make sure the front of the base is centered. If it's not, elevation adjustments will affect windage.
Morgan

sundog
12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Center to center does matter if you want to change from one brand to the other and the span is different, i.e., replace the Lyman with Marbles so to have windage adjustment.

w30wcf
12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
sundog,
I have both the Lyman and Marbles tang sights and they both fit my older 94's that were predrilled from the factory.

w30wcf

NickSS
12-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Same here if you are buying a tang sight I recommend the Marbles one as its windage adjustment comes in handy when changing loads as some loads drift side to side as well as up and down. I got tired of adjusting windage with drifting the front sight and bought the marbles and never looked back. I sold the lyman sight for half price just to get rid of it.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got three Marbles' tang sights, on my cowboy action rifles, and am kinda disappointed with the amount of play in the stem-threads-base joints. On all of them a light touch will move the top almost 1/8" side to side. Still, need that windage adjustment the Lymans don't have, and I assume they center themselves when not handled. The shooting distances are so short, it's hard to tell.

BTW, When called for any technical assistance, Marbles will refer you to Brownells.
Morgan

James C. Snodgrass
12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
The one I just put on my 1895 has the skinniest screw heads you ever want other than that it ain't been used enough to tell about the wobble or variation yet . James:coffeecom

Jon K
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe I should rephrase the question. Older M94s had to be D&T'd for the front screw. That mean's that the sight manufacturer could put it any distance based on the sight itself.

I noticed on the Buffalo Arms sight that they sell newer style Marbles that are sold as components, base, riser, and appertrues, with asundry screws depending on configuration. One of t he bases actually has a slotted rear screw hole which would allow for variable center to center span for existing screws. This would be helpful if the front hole were D&T'd for installation after market.

So, what I still need to know is, do the older tang sight bases have the same span? Jon, by your reply it sounds like the front screw hole is already there.

The front hole on the tang is pre drilled & tapped on the early 94's I'm not sure, but I believe they stopped drilling & tapping the tang in 1947 or '48. Maybe someone here has more info on that process. Pre 64 and Post 64 doesn't mean determine a whole lot either, because I have a Post 64, that is full of Pre 64 parts. My guess is they used up old stock til they ran out.

Jon

Pepe Ray
12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I've an old worn out Lyman Tang sit on a similar Win. You'd be surprised at how much improvement can be seen by rolling a small neoprene "O" ring down the screw/shaft.
Much like those "worthless" Lee die rings.
Pepe Ray