PDA

View Full Version : .357 Couger build

AndyC
09-14-2020, 09:38 PM
About 2 years ago, I saw a Couger build on a FB gunsmithing group which was pretty darned tasty. Seeing that reminded me when I was a youngster about 3 or so decades ago and seeing this strange hybrid beast (a Colt Python barrel on a Ruger Security-Six frame) in a magazine - so I googled around and on eBay (of all places!) found and snagged a brand-new 4" Colt Python barrel (new old stock from the Colt factory sold at auction).

It arrived promptly and I then found a donor Security-Six with a bulged barrel - perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/EHlsP0Q.jpg

I sent the parts to Alex Hamilton in San Antonio (Ten Ring Precision) for the build which took a few weeks and I got this back:

https://i.imgur.com/uwKCyyp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EdPfIgf.jpg

The DA trigger is typical Ruger - the weight is all over the place during the pull - but SA is 4lbs exactly and almost perfectly crisp (I can feel a tiny *snick* feeling just before it fires, so I can actually "stage" it). The barrel stays where it should and the revolver shoots tiny groups at 7 yards. Yep, I'm happy - good-to-go.

I bought the Dec 1979 Guns magazine (which first brought the Couger to the world), took photos and made a PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu0y8b0s5q...ouger.pdf?dl=0

Oh yeah, costs:

Ruger: $440 ($400 + $30 shipping + $10 transfer)
Python barrel: $290
Shipping to Smith, Fedex insured: $24
Gunsmith work: $395
Texas sales-tax (6.25%): $25
Overnight shipping back to me: $65

Total: $1,239

Gtrubicon
09-14-2020, 10:00 PM
Not that far off from a python

TNsailorman
09-14-2020, 10:05 PM
I like it. Has that low down don't mess with me look to it.

elmacgyver0
09-14-2020, 10:08 PM
I thought you were going to talk about a thirty something hottie building a gun.

Beerd
09-14-2020, 10:32 PM
I like it too!

tazman
09-14-2020, 10:37 PM
I like it. Has that low down don't mess with me look to it.

I agree. There is something about a ventilated rib on the barrel of a handgun that radiates meanness.

adcoch1
09-14-2020, 11:24 PM
That looks like it was meant to be.... Wow.

nicholst55
09-15-2020, 02:06 AM
Hamilton Bowen is installing Colt Anaconda barrels on .45 Colt Ruger Redhawks; they look pretty slick, too.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-15-2020, 09:03 AM
When I was working as a Peace Officer in the wheelgun days I carried the Ruger Security Six, my Sergeant carried a Cougar. He carried the 6” stainless. My Security Six was also a 6” stainless.

dverna
09-15-2020, 10:06 AM
It is a very nice build...but $300 more than buying a S&W 686 Performance Center.

If “the look” is worth it, that is great! Is there any other reason to do the conversion?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just wondering what the advantages are.

charlie b
09-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Looks better? :)

But, I am biased cause I love the look of the Python.

AndyC
09-15-2020, 10:24 AM
It is a very nice build...but $300 more than buying a S&W 686 Performance Center.

If “the look” is worth it, that is great! Is there any other reason to do the conversion?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just wondering what the advantages are.
No, I totally understand your point - no offense taken in the slightest and I have to admit up-front that I was so excited to find a Python barrel that I failed to calculate what the whole project would end up costing ;)

A few things went into this decision.

I love the looks of the Python but I've never been impressed with the longevity of the Python mechanism (which really is a by-product of the precision of its lockup and requires expert re-tuning from time to time) - whereas the Ruger frame/action is built like a bank-vault. Pretty much a hard-working yet accurate .357 that will hold up well over the next few decades.

Python barrels are known for their accuracy so combining a superb, sexy-looking barrel with a strong action is something I wanted. Overall, I'd put it down to "nostalgia" to finally be able to own something fairly unique and cool that I'd first seen a few decades ago.

https://i.imgur.com/dwwBEKs.png

AndyC
09-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Hamilton Bowen is installing Colt Anaconda barrels on .45 Colt Ruger Redhawks; they look pretty slick, too.
Very slick indeed:

http://bowenclassicarms.com/workshop.html#AnacondaBarrelRedhawks

Texas by God
09-15-2020, 11:24 AM
Davis Custom did a 6” one for one of my late friends back in the day. They matte finished the nickel Python barrel and stainless Ruger action to match. They tuned the trigger pull(s) as well and it was a superbly accurate revolver. His step dad still has it just two miles from here. I could be remembering wrong; but S&W K frames were also done and called “Smolts”. Neat looking, feeling, and shooting customs.

tazman
09-15-2020, 11:46 AM
I could be remembering wrong; but S&W K frames were also done and called “Smolts”. Neat looking, feeling, and shooting customs.

Around here they were called Smythons.
Target shooters claimed the faster twist shot better, particularly at longer distances. The S&W action would last longer than the Colt between tunings when under constant use.
Kind of the best of both worlds.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Handled a Redhawk 4” and an Anaconda 4” side by side. Funny thing, IMO the Ruger felt better.

EMC45
09-15-2020, 01:08 PM
I like the Cougar. Nice looking pistol you got there. I think it looks better than an original Python. A good bit stronger than one too.

HoosierShooter
09-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Love my Smython / Smolt 6 inch. This was my first revolver purchase and just got lucky.

dverna
09-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Thanks for enlightening me Andy. Love all the things I learn from folks here.

Was not aware of the issues with Colts. When I was shopping for a revolver I really wanted a Python but could not justify the $$$$. Wound up getting his and hers 686+ revolvers for less than a Python.

Kosh75287
09-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Not that far off from a python
Indeed, just far ENOUGH. This is basically a Python that isn't murderously slow to reload. Far easier & faster to mash or push a cylinder release button, than to pull it backward, a la Colt Snake Gun.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-15-2020, 09:38 PM
Sounds like it is a sweet shooter. Sure, you could have bought a new Smith but it might have been a lemon. New revolvers can be a real crap shoot now a days.

AndyC
09-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Posting from my old, recovered account (woohoo). Thank you all for the interest - yes, she's a sweet shooter and I'll be dropping in a new spring in the trigger to try and salvage the horrendous DA pull.