PDA

View Full Version : I've got good news and bad news

monadnock#5
09-14-2020, 06:50 AM
First the bad news. As of last Thursday evening I collected my personal stuff and turned in my badge and inspection stamps towards the end that I am now officially retired. And so will prolly be spending more time around here.

The good news? Now that I'm retired, and in good health, I hope to do a lot of things I haven’t had the time or inclination for. I'm also going to make a sincere effort to lose the chip I've carried on my shoulder most of my adult life. I guess we'll see how that works out.

Rex
09-14-2020, 07:16 AM
You'll like retirement! I did it 20 years ago and never looked back. I got a little bored 4 years ago and took a summer job with Game and Parks mowing their campsites at a local lake. There is always something to do. As far as the Chip goes, keep just a little piece of it.

GhostHawk
09-14-2020, 07:41 AM
Retirement life rocks! Beats the heck out of working for a living.

Find yourself a couple of activity's/hobby's that get you involved in new things. New things to learn, new ways of doing things.

Take off your watch, you no longer need it. Get a clock for the wall that tells you the time, date, day of the week, etc. Because after a while there is no difference between the days. Wed is no different than Sunday unless you choose to do things based on the calendar not what and how you are feeling.

Grocery shopping I prefer Mon - Wed before 8am. Although I may have an Aldi's order delvered by Instantcart any day of the week as needed.

Sit down and ask yourself seriously, "What would I need to have to be truly happy?"

Tip, it is not going to be physical things, cars, big screen tv's, etc. Even guns.

A thousand rounds of ammo for your favorite gun might nudge you in that direction.

A big stock of primers is helpful if you have lead and powder to go with them.
Main thing is to relax and enjoy.

brass410
09-14-2020, 08:27 AM
Looking forward to your position. Have been self employed since 78 my knees have finally crashed and burned ( mechanic kneeling a lot on cold wet frozen surfaces probably had something to do with it) spring will have two new knees (suspension upgrade) and only do fun jobs IF I feel like it shooting and hunting/fishing will become main line of work. LOL Congrats on making it to where you are.

shell70634
09-14-2020, 08:32 AM
I retired January 2019. I have never worked so hard in my life. 20 years of projects built up.

Shelly

Markopolo
09-14-2020, 08:34 AM
get a camper.... come to Alaska.. spend some of your retirement and go fishing, hunting, get off the beaten path.

jimlj
09-14-2020, 08:44 AM
I’m 6 years into retirement. The first year was the hardest, wondering if I did the right thing and if the money would last. Now on the rare occasion I look at my investment accounts I see there is more money there than 6 years ago, and I find myself thinking “I’m glad I don’t have to go to work today “
I don’t know what chip you carry, but if it causes negative thoughts or feelings, loose it. Life’s too short to be unhappy.

Huskerguy
09-14-2020, 09:15 AM
I have retired at least four different times from education. Always a program to develop and kids to help. This past May my wife and I both called it quits. I do miss some of the challenges of work and yes, as was said, you wonder about money since for the first time you don't have that check coming in. I am.bkeased to have a decent state pension.

It does take some time, we are just a few months in the virus gave us a head start on being home in March. I burned through a bunch of house projects and some reloading ones and now have some bigger ones. If I don't feel like doing something I just don't. The only day I care about is Sunday, every other day is Saturday. Most of the time I have no clue what day of the week it is.

My advice is to slow down and enjoy the little things, life isn't forever on this earth.

oldred
09-14-2020, 09:31 AM
I retired a bit over twenty years ago but now it seems I need to see if they will hire me back (Mining) so I can get some rest! :razz:

After retirement I increased my farming efforts, grow and sell apples, various berries, etc, try to spend time in my small machine shop working on retirement projects (gun related of course!) and trying to keep the other local farmers happy by repairing farm equipment. Not one day has been spent sitting around being bored!

Three44s
09-14-2020, 09:43 AM
First off, thank you for your service!

As far as a chip goes, if it does not bother us, what’s the difference?

Everyone I talk to has an adjustment but I am sure you will work it out and you will have plenty of projects saved up.

If you do run out, your extended family here at boolits can surely find tasks for ya!:mrgreen:

Depending on your skill set, there has to some invention yet to invent or problem to solve. There is always those big flat rate shipper boxes and send some lead and a mold and ship some boolits back?

Well just sayin’ .....:roll:

Best regards

Three44s

smoked turkey
09-14-2020, 09:51 AM
I'm also retired. I often answer when someone asks about it that it is the best job I ever had. I am a do-it-myselfer. As such I always have projects. Some big, some small. Make a list and prioritize them. Like someone mentioned, ditch the watch. Only use the clock when you have important appointments. Make sure you allow for helping those you know by volunteering your time. Above all, lose "the chip on your shoulder" you spoke about. It will only make you sour and will drag you down.

375supermag
09-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Hi...
I retired a little over two years ago.
I don't miss being in the work force or the politics of the workplace.
I spend a lot of time reloading ammuntion, studying military history and taking care of things around The Estate.
I don't with about money...my retirement income is enough to I at the bills and provide an adequate amount of discretionary spending.

Shawlerbrook
09-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Sounds like good and better news. I retired in 2012 at 55 years old and never regretted it. I am now very busy doing things I need and want to. Congratulations !

MrWolf
09-14-2020, 10:30 AM
You are lucky being in good health. Enjoy your retirement. I retired almost four years ago on a disability. If it wasn't for the pain it would be great. Gonna find out you dont have enough time to get everything done. My biggest problem still is that I put pressure on myself when there is no need to. Just used to being an A+++ personality. Relax and enjoy. Having a lil chip is good when you get old, you earned it. Enjoy.
Ron

Der Gebirgsjager
09-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Congratulations on your retirement. Did it twice myself. New doors will open for you. You'll probably make some new friends. Enjoy.

smithnframe
09-14-2020, 11:04 AM
What chips?

bedbugbilly
09-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Congrats and good luck to you in the next chapter your life. If you are like most of us who retired, you'll wonder how you got everything done while you were working. Life's too short not to enjoy each and every day - so enjoy each one and do some things you've always thought about doing while you are healthy and still young enough to do them. It may sound stupid, but one of my favorite times of the day is getting up. sitting with my wife at breakfast and watching the day break, knowing that I don't have to be somewhere by a certain time.

As far as the chip on your shoulder - I guess we all have a bit of one - but over time, you'll find that you enjoy things more and even those that you don't necessarily agree with, just don't seem to bothe you as much. Enjoy your family, friends and have fun!

gpidaho
09-14-2020, 11:28 AM
What surprises me the most in retirement is that younger people find time in their day for a job. I'm busy daylight to dark without one. Gp

Winger Ed.
09-14-2020, 11:41 AM
I retired 3 years ago.

I've found that it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.:bigsmyl2:

gwpercle
09-14-2020, 11:58 AM
After 50 years of running my own business and working from can to cain't 6 days a week , I retired and had no idea of what to do with myself .
I still don't know what I do ... but I can tell you I stay so busy doing " stuff" all day long ... and wish I could go to my old office to get away from all this work . Sitting at a drafting table drawing is much easier than all the chores the wife finds for me ...
Gary

Kosh75287
09-14-2020, 01:10 PM
What surprises me the most in retirement is that younger people find time in their day for a job. I'm busy daylight to dark without one. Gp

That IS an unsettling realization, isn't it? LOL

thxmrgarand
09-14-2020, 01:55 PM
Mr. Monadnock, You are in a position to influence the Second Amendment outcomes for the next few decades across the US. NH is a swing state. That's clearly recognized by the incumbent White House as that was their first stop immediately following the convention. NH went the other direction 4 years ago, by only 3,000 votes (as you no doubt recall). Northern NH is solidly aligned with law-abiding shooters and reloaders, and the greater Durham-sea coast area is probably a write-off for us. But the Monadnock region up to the lakes region may decide where your 4 Electoral College votes go this time around. I am 3,000 miles away from you, but I am constantly calling friends and family who vote in the Granite State, and I have sent letters to many NH newspapers. The state where I now reside has but 3 votes, and they will go for the Second Amendment candidate, overwhelmingly. Believe me, if I could be in NH I would be there; and people tell me that after only a day there I speak like I never left. NH could actually decide the outcome, and with that outcome will be the next one to three US Supreme Court appointments and many other federal decisions critical to our future. Thank you.

Winger Ed.
09-14-2020, 04:46 PM
That IS an unsettling realization, isn't it? LOL

Interesting.

Now I have something else to ponder as I sit on the patio watching all the humming birds,
and keeping an eye on a couple of fishing rods.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 02:23 AM
Mr. Monadnock, You are in a position to influence the Second Amendment outcomes for the next few decades across the US. NH is a swing state. That's clearly recognized by the incumbent White House as that was their first stop immediately following the convention. NH went the other direction 4 years ago, by only 3,000 votes (as you no doubt recall). Northern NH is solidly aligned with law-abiding shooters and reloaders, and the greater Durham-sea coast area is probably a write-off for us. But the Monadnock region up to the lakes region may decide where your 4 Electoral College votes go this time around. I am 3,000 miles away from you, but I am constantly calling friends and family who vote in the Granite State, and I have sent letters to many NH newspapers. The state where I now reside has but 3 votes, and they will go for the Second Amendment candidate, overwhelmingly. Believe me, if I could be in NH I would be there; and people tell me that after only a day there I speak like I never left. NH could actually decide the outcome, and with that outcome will be the next one to three US Supreme Court appointments and many other federal decisions critical to our future. Thank you.

Have no fear of me sitting this one out. The Incumbent clearly considers me one of strongest supporters!! Either that or he's buttering me up for another donation. I'll be there for the USofA and the Second Amendment.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 02:31 AM
Interesting.

Now I have something else to ponder as I sit on the patio watching all the humming birds,
and keeping an eye on a couple of fishing rods.

We have a black bear that raised H E double hockey sticks with the bird feeders, so those had to be brought in. The hummingbird feeder is still out, but there's one female hummer who thinks it's hers exclusively. They make a lot of racket for such a tiny bird. I do enjoy watching them.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 02:45 AM
Thank you for all the well wishes. I know I'll have plenty to do. I haven't seen the honeydo list yet but I know there's one with my name on it. I'm OK with that. The wife has a vested interest in keeping me out of mischief while she works the next 22 months. I've worked the graveyard shift for 15 years, and then a 5pm to 3am shift 4 days a week the last 3 years. Right now my biggest challenge will be getting my internal clock in sync with the rifle range hours. 8-)

Ozark mike
09-15-2020, 02:51 AM
Bah humbug the wilderness is open 24 hrs a day:bigsmyl2:

Winger Ed.
09-15-2020, 03:01 AM
I haven't seen the honeydo list yet but I know there's one

There's an old Indian trick for dealing with those:

When you get one- Ya read over it very solemnly, then take it out to the man cave, and throw it away.
When asked about it, claim ignorance.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 03:06 AM
There's an old Indian trick for dealing with those:

When you get one- Ya read over it very solemnly, then take it out to the man cave, and throw it away.
When asked about it, claim ignorance.

She's never actually stapled anything to my forehead. Up to now the threat has been enough.

Winger Ed.
09-15-2020, 03:15 AM
She's never actually stapled anything to my forehead. Up to now the threat has been enough.

Well,,,,, you're luckier than some of us, but keep your options open.:bigsmyl2:

Land Owner
09-15-2020, 06:07 AM
Retirement came as a means of leaving an engineering career that I loved. Not long after, tragedy struck. My hunting, shooting, and reloading Mentor, sixteen (16) years my senior and twenty five (25) years my career co-worker, passed (from COPD, but by his own hand!). In survivor's shock, "Time," they say, "heals all wounds." The jury is still deliberating that.

Dang it! It is, once again, too wet to plow. From the Atlantic Ocean, tropical storms of low pressure and intermittent hard rains are derailing my progress. Food Plots for Wildlife, "one pass" disking already achieved, have to wait for dryer weather. The fields are under 2 to 3 inches of water. I hope the bags of seed don't hatch into weevils in the meantime.

I get tired now. The beach is probably nice. I don't go. Inland, 90+ degree F, and calm, Florida Summer heat without rollover protection or sun shield (roof) on the tractor is a motivation killer. I tend to go slower, don't try to "do it all" at one time, stretch a project out, don't work quite so hard, persistence-wise, though the work of hobby farming remains the same "hardness" as before, but more importantly, I "stay with it", mentally, until it is done.

Good luck to you Sir.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 07:11 AM
Retirement came as a means of leaving an engineering career that I loved. Not long after, tragedy struck. My hunting, shooting, and reloading Mentor, sixteen (16) years my senior and twenty five (25) years my career co-worker, passed (from COPD, but by his own hand!). In survivor's shock, "Time," they say, "heals all wounds." The jury is still deliberating that.

Dang it! It is, once again, too wet to plow. From the Atlantic Ocean, tropical storms of low pressure and intermittent hard rains are derailing my progress. Food Plots for Wildlife, "one pass" disking already achieved, have to wait for dryer weather. The fields are under 2 to 3 inches of water. I hope the bags of seed don't hatch into weevils in the meantime.

I get tired now. The beach is probably nice. I don't go. Inland, 90+ degree F, and calm, Florida Summer heat without rollover protection or sun shield (roof) on the tractor is a motivation killer. I tend to go slower, don't try to "do it all" at one time, stretch a project out, don't work quite so hard, persistence-wise, though the work of hobby farming remains the same "hardness" as before, but more importantly, I "stay with it", mentally, until it is done.

Good luck to you Sir.

Thank you. I'm sorry about your friend. I hope the ground soon dries out enough that you can your tilling done.

DocSavage
09-15-2020, 07:36 AM
31 years with GE Aircraft retired early 10 years ago bit anxious about things like income etc but that took care of itself. During the 10 yrs shoulder,2 hernia and gall bladder surgeries 6 weeks recoup on those each
Miss the people I worked with but life goes on. I have learned one thing in the last 10 years how did I ever get anything done working 8-12 hrs a day.

Parson
09-15-2020, 10:24 AM
I’m 79 in good health, pass my VA physical with flying colors and still working full time, can’t imagine retiring. My kid brother at 70 was just forced into retirement because of health issues. Asked him how retirement was treating him, said felt guilty, guess we’re all different

rbuck351
09-15-2020, 10:34 AM
I retired 4 years ago with about a 5 year honey do list. Now, 4 years later, the list has shrunk to about a ten year list. Boredom is not an option. Sometimes I miss working for the man but only because it was much easier than working for the wife.

lightman
09-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Congratulations on a well earned retirement. I'm sure your internal clock will adjust to your new life. Just give it some time. Take it easy. Do a few things that you have had to put off. Do a few fun things with your Wife. You'll get in the groove soon enough. Congratulations!

facetious
09-15-2020, 01:46 PM
You are going love it!

I quit at the end of last year just in time for the lock down. After working nights for 40 years I can tell you that it will take a bit to get used to going to bed and getting up at a new time. After 8 months I'm just now starting to get to where I can go to bed around midnight but find my self waking up at 4 or 5 in the AM and then going back to bed till 8 to 8:30. Getting up is the hardest, for years I didn't get up till noon. At first I would get up at 8 or 9 after a good night sleep but would still be dragging my butt around till noon. My advice is to not try forcing it, go to bed when you feel like it and get up when you feel like it and soon you will adjust .

As to the chip , It wasn't till after five or six months that I started to see just how toxic my old workplace was . You have to let that part of your life go, let it become like something that you saw on TV and just change the channel you are part of a new show now and it can be whatever you want it to be. So make it a happy one. It took a few months for me to let go of some of the old work BS stuff but after things like cleaning out all the work stuff I had at home like old pay stubs and insurance and healthcare paper paperwork, it was like I could feel the stress lifting from me every time I put something in to the shredder. And I know it may sound rude but I found that not having contact with people I had worked with for a while made me feel better also. Now I can talk to them in a new light without having the feeling of that toxicity trying to get back in to me.

Let yourself let go, and be ready for all the things to come. They say that nothing is going to work out the way you planned and so far that has been true for me but if you let it, life will take you to where you need to be , and that is a good place to be.

monadnock#5
09-15-2020, 05:18 PM
There's a school of thought out in the universe called "The Law of Attraction". Lots about it on Google and youtube. The premise basically is that if you believe in what you want, strongly enough to believe that it already exists, it will be manifested into your life. I know that this is the absolute truth. Not from having found a pot of gold, but through the "Logic of Opposites". That chip superglued to my shoulder has acted like a beacon to attract a whole lot of "stuff" I don't want the stress of having to deal with anymore. It served me well in the stressful environment I worked in, but that chapter is now over and a new one begins.

Winger Ed.
09-15-2020, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=monadnock#5;4984461 feeder is still out, but there's one female hummer who thinks it's hers exclusively. [/QUOTE]

There is always what we call the (resident) 'bully bird'.
That instinct will go away when they start their migration back to Mexico for the winter.

We put out 4-5 feeders and will get swarms of them as they stop a day or two to 'tank up', and then be on their way.

If you move slow, or put a chair close to a feeder, they'll come right up to within a few inches of you too.

I looked up 'humming bird swings' and made a couple from 1/8" brass rod.
It's a hoot to watch them on one, and they take right to 'em.

elmacgyver0
09-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Good luck!
I sincerely hope you enjoy your retirement.
I recommend staying active.
Honeydos, the range, hiking, whatever, just don't vegetate, we want to keep you around awhile.
Take care and enjoy your retirement!

a danl
09-15-2020, 07:44 PM
First the bad news. As of last Thursday evening I collected my personal stuff and turned in my badge and inspection stamps towards the end that I am now officially retired. And so will prolly be spending more time around here.

The good news? Now that I'm retired, and in good health, I hope to do a lot of things I haven’t had the time or inclination for. I'm also going to make a sincere effort to lose the chip I've carried on my shoulder most of my adult life. I guess we'll see how that works out.

congratulations, i say retirement is better than graduating from high school.

xs11jack
09-15-2020, 08:19 PM
In to several years of boredom I met a scrapper who was looking for some help but couldn't pay much. I gave it a try and spent a blast. most of the stuff we haul away was useless but we got a bunch of good stuff now and then. We got some really weird too. One was a house that a guy was crazy about Halloween and filled his house and basement with life size spooks. Then he got depressed and went down to the basement where he parted 6 spooks around a poker table. After writing a suicide note he put on a costume and blew his brains out. The family that asked us to clean up the stuff didn't tell us there was some human parts and pieces still in the basement. My boss went down ahead of me and let out a scream that scared me almost soiling my drawers. A lot of great stuff we sold was like new and we kept some for our selves. It was a treasure hunt a lot of the time. What a great time we had.
Ole Jack

No_1
09-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Congratulations!

I retired 4 months ago after working 35 years for Uncle Sam. I use to put in 1 1/2 - 3 hours Monday through Friday every evening after work on my projects as well as 8 hours on Saturday with possibly 4 on Sunday. I still wake at 0400 but now take my time getting ready to “work” and no matter what I do today I am always done by 2 PM. Life is easy.

samari46
09-16-2020, 01:22 AM
I retired in 1995 after working over 33 years around the clock. Anyone who says working shiftwork is great is a fool. Many marriages went south. I was well and truely burned out. Got to see my two daughters grow up.get engaged and married. Work on what I want and when I want. Frank

monadnock#5
09-16-2020, 06:28 AM
In to several years of boredom I met a scrapper who was looking for some help but couldn't pay much. I gave it a try and spent a blast. most of the stuff we haul away was useless but we got a bunch of good stuff now and then. We got some really weird too. One was a house that a guy was crazy about Halloween and filled his house and basement with life size spooks. Then he got depressed and went down to the basement where he parted 6 spooks around a poker table. After writing a suicide note he put on a costume and blew his brains out. The family that asked us to clean up the stuff didn't tell us there was some human parts and pieces still in the basement. My boss went down ahead of me and let out a scream that scared me almost soiling my drawers. A lot of great stuff we sold was like new and we kept some for our selves. It was a treasure hunt a lot of the time. What a great time we had.
Ole Jack

Thank you! I do feel fortunate to have finally made it. Today I'm going to see about getting the rosebed ready for winter. It's been neglected and deserves some tlc. They're an old fashioned rose with stems poorly suited for arrangement in a vase, but there are no blooms that smell better.

monadnock#5
09-16-2020, 06:39 AM
Congratulations!

I retired 4 months ago after working 35 years for Uncle Sam. I use to put in 1 1/2 - 3 hours Monday through Friday every evening after work on my projects as well as 8 hours on Saturday with possibly 4 on Sunday. I still wake at 0400 but now take my time getting ready to “work” and no matter what I do today I am always done by 2 PM. Life is easy.

When I worked straight 3rd shift hours I'd do my best to flip my schedule on the weekends to do things with the family. When I switched over to the 4 10hr days I stopped trying. Fixing that, I think, will be my biggest short term challenge.

No_1
09-16-2020, 06:50 AM
When I worked straight 3rd shift hours I'd do my best to flip my schedule on the weekends to do things with the family. When I switched over to the 4 10hr days I stopped trying. Fixing that, I think, will be my biggest short term challenge.

Changing the life long schedule has been my only issue so far. I have switched from tending to forum in the evening to tending to it early in the morning.

One of the welcomed changes is my ability to enjoy breakfast everyday with my wife which is a welcomed change since she cooks better than me.

Lastly I always said I would be one of the “range guys” once I retired. You know the type - but I have only been 2 times since retiring.

monadnock#5
09-16-2020, 08:14 PM
My wife still works. For another 22 months, God willing. She works on the front end. A Bachelor of Science degree, a go along to get along mentality and no chip, except maybe where I'm concerned, has taken her far.

Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy.

facetious
09-17-2020, 02:22 PM
"Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy."

You sound like me, Before I quite I thought I would be able to go to the range every month and camping every week. So far I haven't gone once. First I quit in the winter then the bug then it got to hot to want to go then the smoke comes and don't want to do stuff outside so I start working on stuff around the house outside when the heat and smoke aren't to bad. So I have things that I want to finish before winter that are taking longer than I thought and being a caregiver helps use up time and than when I do have time for me I don't feel like doing anything.

I have done some casting and cooked down some range scrap got some stuff ready to load and worked on the cars. I'm now about half way through turning a back porch/steps into a deck. So it's not like I just sit around but it's not what I was thinking it would be like before I quit. I think some days I work harder that I did before. So like they say you have got to stay flexible .But it is still better then going to work every day to a job I came to hate.

monadnock#5
09-18-2020, 04:04 AM
"Twice a week. That's all I want. Twice a week at the range and I'll be a happy guy."

You sound like me, Before I quite I thought I would be able to go to the range every month and camping every week. So far I haven't gone once. First I quit in the winter then the bug then it got to hot to want to go then the smoke comes and don't want to do stuff outside so I start working on stuff around the house outside when the heat and smoke aren't to bad. So I have things that I want to finish before winter that are taking longer than I thought and being a caregiver helps use up time and than when I do have time for me I don't feel like doing anything.

I have done some casting and cooked down some range scrap got some stuff ready to load and worked on the cars. I'm now about half way through turning a back porch/steps into a deck. So it's not like I just sit around but it's not what I was thinking it would be like before I quit. I think some days I work harder that I did before. So like they say you have got to stay flexible .But it is still better then going to work every day to a job I came to hate.

The range I belong to isn't cheap. The last several years the fees I've paid I've chalked up to the support of the Second Amendment. The "freedom isn't free" concept. Although, in the name of truth and honesty, I will take full advantage of the clause in the club bylaws for the reduction of dues for a 65 year old member with 5 years of continuous membership. In the meantime, I'll get some physical enjoyment out of this year's membership.

Maineboy
09-18-2020, 04:32 AM
I retired in July of 2014 and had some strong doubts about my decision during my first winter when there wasn't much to do. I have a great routine now and really enjoy life. I do work on my son-in-law's farm during planting and harvest and really enjoy the long days in the fields and I have a volunteer job that keep me busy for a few hours each week. We live on a lake and our summers are filled with our kids and grandkids visiting us. I hunt a lot more and when I feel bored, I cast boolits and reload. Retired life is good!

monadnock#5
09-18-2020, 04:57 AM
I worked on my great uncle's farm for several summers when I was a teenager. If I could have had a place like that for my own, I would have jumped in with both feet. I've never had the feeling of self satisfaction at the end of the day with any job I've had since.

MrWolf
09-18-2020, 05:33 AM
Changing the life long schedule has been my only issue so far. I have switched from tending to forum in the evening to tending to it early in the morning.

One of the welcomed changes is my ability to enjoy breakfast everyday with my wife which is a welcomed change since she cooks better than me.

Lastly I always said I would be one of the “range guys” once I retired. You know the type - but I have only been 2 times since retiring.

I still haven't finished my range but in my defense been doing a lot of other projects. My pistol range building (20x16 utility shed with a 10x8 seperate pistol range portion) is built. Still have to make Dutch doors and put up counters in that section. Projects never end.

pworley1
09-18-2020, 06:50 AM
I retired in 03 and I tell people who have just retired or who are about to retire to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying NO. Everyone you know will think it is their job to find you something to do. Enjoy your retirement.

pls1911
09-19-2020, 10:50 AM
I'm three years into retirement from engineering and program management, and have never been as busy... I'm ready to retire from retirement.
Restoring historical structures, organizing my own life and gear, getting adult children finally launched, and dealing with the covid constraints has been a hassle.
I have well used my enjoyable construction and masonry skills on the journey and attended to projects and chores which demanded attention, so while it's been demanding and at times tedious, on balance its better than the alternatives.
Now if I can make time to get back to shooting and maybe some extra time in the woods, I'd be a happier guy.