PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Youth Season Big Deer

richhodg66
09-14-2020, 06:21 AM
Our youth season here was this past week. I don't know her, but this young lady may have set a new state record.

https://jcpost.com/posts/296b95cb-a3d2-44cc-ac8e-c8c9974b268e

Gtrubicon
09-14-2020, 11:34 AM
That’s a horn donkey!

PNW_Steve
09-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Awesome!!

I think that having a "youth" season is a great idea. I have not heard of that before.

00buck
09-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Good for her !!
Awesome buck

Shawlerbrook
09-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Great job young lady !

Tripplebeards
09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Awesome!!

I think that having a "youth" season is a great idea. I have not heard of that before.

To me, I hate it here in WI. It’s about a week or two before rut and knocks my deer nocturnal from all the running around and shooting up a storm on the surrounding properties. Our state does the same with turkey hunting. Youth get to go a week before anyone starts hunting here. When I was a kid I went with my dad on opening day in the 70’s and 80’s at arms reach and hunted like everyone else. IMO just a chance for the state to make more money because hunting license sales have been down. When this first started here most would take their kids out and shoot a deer for them...which is illegal. I just need to buy a bigger piece of property so the deer won’t get spooked by the youth season. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad it gets kids introduced to the sport but imo they can go at the exact same time as everyone else. If I want to bow hunt during the youth hunt I have to wear blaze orange while bow hunting.

richhodg66
09-14-2020, 07:04 PM
Awesome!!

For years, it was just a weekend and was right after muzzle loader season (last two weeks of September) and just before the archery season started. Any kid 16 or under, any legal equipment. A few years ago, they made bow and muzzle loader start the same day and moved youth season to whole week before muzzle loader season. Good time to get a kid started.

Texas by God
09-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Good for her! That's gonna be hard to top in future hunts. I'm glad she got it at close range on family land, too. Youth season here is the weekend before general season and the weekend after and is just fine. An adult must accompany the kid. If the adult shoots a deer on youth weekend, all they've taught the kid is slob behavior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

richhodg66
09-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Good for her! That's gonna be hard to top in future hunts. I'm glad she got it at close range on family land, too. Youth season here is the weekend before general season and the weekend after and is just fine. An adult must accompany the kid. If the adult shoots a deer on youth weekend, all they've taught the kid is slob behavior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Same way here. Did several of these when my sons were of an age to.

That's a heck of a first deer. If it had been me, I'd likely give up deer hunting and take up bass fishing or something, never gonna top that one.

MaryB
09-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Sweet deer, here is a pic

https://media.eaglewebservices.com/public/2020/9/1600023706192.png

Gar10
09-15-2020, 04:29 PM
That is awesome, I like to see kids getting involved with the outdoors.

Congratulations!!