PDA

View Full Version : Heated cookie cutter

Ozark mike
09-13-2020, 07:40 AM
Either my mind is goin or I'm having bright ideas at 5 in the morning. What if someone was to take a pan lube cutter and weld or braze it to a rod that would fit a soldering iron. Do you think that would make life easier or just a waste of time.

nwfdub
09-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Waste of time.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
09-13-2020, 11:23 AM
It would melt the lube on the inside the same as on the outside. I believe it would just make a mess and be a waste of time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

country gent
09-13-2020, 12:47 PM
I believe it would melt the lube in the grooves as well as make cutting easier. Another issue would be preheat time to get it up to temp, but not to hot. scorching would be an issue also. A light dip in vegetable oil might work better. Canola or olive oil dip and shake excess off would keep lubes from sticking and ease push thru. Another might be a seasoning with teflon,Moly, or other dry lube. Since the bullet dosnt rub hard inside a coating may last awhile.

Mk42gunner
09-13-2020, 06:49 PM
While I don't pan lube, I think you could try this idea out by heating one of you cookie cutters with a propane torch first, just to see if the idea is feasible or not. I don't think you would need as much heat as a soldering iron would provide. My thoughts are to heat a piece of brass just past the gently warmed stage, but not to the IT IS BURNING MY HAND OFF stage.

It may work well, it may not, but you will never know for sure until you try it.

Robert

Ozark mike
09-13-2020, 07:47 PM
As far as how much heat that could be solved with a resistor inline or how long the rod distances the cutter from the iron

Engineer1911
09-13-2020, 08:29 PM
TOOOOOO much work.

Ozark mike
09-13-2020, 08:55 PM
Loading 20 rounds of ammo is more work than this

gwpercle
09-14-2020, 07:17 PM
TOOOOOO much work.

Does the term "Rube Goldberg Machine" ring a bell !

mdi
09-15-2020, 01:45 PM
I would say try it, but with warming a "normal" cutter on a hot plate or torch first. I like to hear reloaders/casters trying different stuff and who knows, this might be the idea of the decade. How many poo-pooed aluminum beer can gas checks? Or a stinky metal preserver as a bullet lube? And what about "painting" bullets? "That's crazy, never work!". Keep thinking!

Chill Wills
09-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Try using a lube that does not require a Kake cutter.
Many great lubes you just push the bullets out. Done and clean. Lube in the grooves and no greasy kid stuff on anything else.