PDA

View Full Version : SAECO MOLD #265 Questions

drooling idiot
09-12-2020, 11:45 AM
I have a .45 ACP that is problematic when it comes to feeding. One of the ideas I had to increase reliability was to look for a boolit shape that is easier to get to jump into the chamber. research suggested the SAECO #265 mold was a highly reliable feeder.
I have only been able to find sketches of the boolit and blurry mold pics online. Does anyone have an actual picture of this cast boolit or a source online where I can buy a supply of these to try out before I buy the mold?
Is the bullet actually as "pointed" as it looks in the sketches? It looks blunter in the mold images.
If you have experience with it, does it feed as well as I hope? would you care to share your opinions, personal experiences ?

farmbif
09-12-2020, 11:58 AM
if you go to the midway site they have pretty good pictures of products.

drooling idiot
09-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the midway website, was planning my purchase there. (larry gets far too much of my money).
Updated original post to clear up questions. the mold looks blunter to me than the sketch but it might just be shadows of black on black of the mold metal.
hoping for some first hand experiences.

lotech
09-13-2020, 09:38 AM
Look at the Redding/SAECO catalog. It's a drawing, not a photo, but an accurate depiction. I've had this mould for at least thirty years and the design is more of a point than a true roundnose. As for reliable feeding and functioning, I've experienced no problems. I still use my mould occasionally when I have an idea for a new load. As for accuracy, it probably falls slightly behind the Lyman RN #452374 design, but it's still a pretty accurate bullet. I don't recall the catalog weight of the #265, but my bullets cast from a wheelweight alloy barely make 210 grains, maybe a little less.

DocSavage
09-13-2020, 10:25 PM
Had to check the design of the bullet,I've that mold feeds flawlessly bevel base minimum flare to seat mine comes in at 220 gr.