PDA

View Full Version : FN-FAL build - iron sights on steel @320 yards

AndyC
09-11-2020, 09:04 PM
I build this Imbel kit on a DSA type 2 receiver in Nov 2017 - sighted it in at a 25 yd indoor range and stuck it in the safe.

Last week I went dove-hunting in W. Texas - we got rained out so I broke out that FAL as I've never had the chance to stretch her legs. My buddy's land has 12x24" steel targets set up on a bank at a lased 320 yards:

https://i.imgur.com/U24yaAp.jpg

Here are the first 5 shots (iron sights set at 400):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Ol2H128L0

3/5 off the bat - I'm pleased, especially with my older eyes and the fact that it was drizzling and the ammo was surplus de-linked Portuguese FMJ.

Shiloh
09-21-2020, 06:29 PM
What an adventure!!
I would be thrilled I f I could with 64 year ols eyes, ande am thrilled for you!!

Shiloh

tbx-4
09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
Good shooting! Is your barrel original full length?
Portuguese surplus 7.62x51 is good stuff. I still have a case left.

AndyC
09-21-2020, 11:03 PM
Thank you Shiloh and tbx.

Yes, 21".

rcslotcar
09-22-2020, 12:56 AM
That is one of my grail rifles !!!

Stephen Cohen
09-22-2020, 04:58 AM
I remember when that was the go to rifle for Australian Army and how shot at those range were pretty easy for young eyes, alas our Army now carries the plastic steyr in a sub caliber. If only we could still have those in our gun safes here. Regards Stephen

Syntax Error
09-25-2020, 02:26 AM
Very nice. What locking shoulder size did you end up having to use? An L1A1 I built off of a DSA Brit cut forged receiver required a special .249" FAL locking shoulder from gunplumber. For reference, the typical locking shoulder sizes ranges from .250" minimum to .275" maximum.

Larry Gibson
09-25-2020, 11:28 AM
I remember when that was the go to rifle for Australian Army and how shot at those range were pretty easy for young eyes, alas our Army now carries the plastic steyr in a sub caliber. If only we could still have those in our gun safes here. Regards Stephen

I've had a couple FN-FALs over the years [Belgian original and Argentine para] along with having shot numerous of them in my service time. back in '86 I was part of an SF contingent attending a "Dark Cygnet" exercise out Swanbourne way with your SAS. We to 90+ of our foreign and obsolete US weapons and several pallets of ammo as we ran the weapons familiarization portion of the exercise. Here is a picture of me shooting a suppressed Sterling there. Had a wonderful time and those SAS boys were very professional and a lot of good times were had...they can drink a lot of beer.....you call it something else but the censor will get me....

Anyway we had a great time and was able to compare the FN-FAL [if I recall correctly it was referred to as an "SLR"] against a couple M14 NM rifles we took along. We had a case of M118 [white box] with use and at 600 meters the SLRs did okay but weren't as accurate. We also compared the M14 NM rifles to the H&K sniper rifles the SAS was using. I had taken my own S&K scope mount with a Redfield 3x9 AccuTrac along with a cheek rest to put on the M14 NM rifles. Was no contest at 600 meters, had SAS snipers lined up to shoot the M14 NM rifle.

Should have added that my post is not any criticism of FN-FALs as they are/were very good battle rifles.

swheeler
09-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Andy that is darn good shooting, ,well done!

AndyC
09-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Thank you kindly. I more recently had some fun dialing in the front sight to smack an 8" round steel plate at 200 yards at my new local range:

https://i.imgur.com/qARCW53.jpg

Zoomed in a bit:

https://i.imgur.com/5GCDTJp.jpg

I'll be trying to hit the 8" 300 yd gong next (visible to the left of that red square in the pic) ... eek. I'm loving this build - it's a confidence-booster for sure, particularly given that FALs are 2 MOA rifles at best, usually, and I'm not a pro rifle shooter.

Very nice. What locking shoulder size did you end up having to use? An L1A1 I built off of a DSA Brit cut forged receiver required a special .249" FAL locking shoulder from gunplumber. For reference, the typical locking shoulder sizes ranges from .250" minimum to .275" maximum.
I had to check my email to verify - a .256" from DSA.

Geezer in NH
09-26-2020, 04:43 PM
I loved mine until age and bad arthritis made it very hard to open the action. Mine shot fantastic!!

Now use an AR for that platform of SLR.