PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a .357 revolver

Black Wolf
12-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Gentlemen,
I'm wanting a .357 revolver. I'll be shooting cast bullets in it mainly. I've casted Lee 358-158-RF bullets for whatever I get. I really like Ruger revolvers. I prefer the Cowboy action type like a Blackhawk or Vaquero. I also like the GP100 series, I used to own one but didn't cast bullets for it. I guess Ruger has a new Blackhawk convertible that can switch out cylinders and shoot 9mm as well. Not sure if I need that, already got a 9mm Sig.

Anyhow, I'm not against anything else, but I do like Rugers 4 5/8" barrel. I've read a lot on the forums here about having to ream the cylinder holes (gosh, I'd hate to have to do that). I'd be using it for target shooting mostly - no bear killing or anything like that - just paper.

Cost is an issue as well - I'd like to stay at or under $500 or so. I'll even consider a nice used one if anyone has one they'd care to part with, if the price is fair.

Anyhow, any recommendations as to what will work best. Any .357 revolvers out there that wouldn't require the cylinder to be reamed if I cast a .358 bullet. I also have a .356 124gr lee mold that I use in my 9mm. Anyhow, open to ideas and recommendations.

Thanks.

NHlever
12-05-2008, 08:39 AM
A .357 revolver is a very versitile gun for sure. I like Rugers too, and have both the double actions, and a Super Blackhawk single action. You should buy what feels best to you though there are good reasons to own both. Chamber throat issues seem to have been addressed in the newer Rugers. I've checked a few new ones recently, and found that the throats were properly sized for the caliber, and bore size. If I were just target shooting, and perhaps keeping the gun for possible self defense house use, I would probably get the GP100. Loading, and unloading at the range is simpler, and the availability of interchangeable front sights makes it easy to find what works best with your eyes. Trigger pulls usually have a little less creep out of the box too. Still, you will be most happy with what feels best in your hands, and to your eyes. :-)

leadeye
12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Can't go wrong with either a Blackhawk or a GP-100. They will both perform well with a really wide variety of loads.

S.R.Custom
12-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Watch the auctions on GunBroker.com for a while. "Shooter" grade used Blackhawks frequently sell for about $250 or so...

And I'd skip the ones that come with the 9mm cylinder; because of the smaller diameter of the 9mm bullet and the lengthy free-bore of the Blackhawk cylinder, a Blackhawk fitted with the 9mm cylinder is usually a dismal performer in the accuracy department...

Three44s
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Like the above have said: The GP 100 or the Blackhawk are very good guns.

A blast from the past that gets overlooked are the Security six, speed six and the Service six.

Of those three, the Security six is the only one with adjustable sights.

Forget the mantra that these "sixes" aren't strong enough ..... THEY ARE fine! I own one Security six and even though my perfered dimmension of lead is a fourty something .... I wish I owned a couple more!

As for throats:

You get what you get.

I would not sweat it ..... just buy the gun you want and if trouble knocks on your door ... deal with it.

And if you get in that soup ... for fourteen bucks postage paid (the last time I looked anyway):

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I highly recommend this book "just because" .......

I have not done any of the treatments offered but find it darned good reading anyway ....... and just in case.

Three 44s

Scrounger
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Unless you need a Blackhawk for Cowboy shooting or something, I'd vote for the GP100, a little better in self defense because it is single and double action, and just as strong as the Blackhawk.
There are a couple of pawnshop chains that run 50 to a hundred guns a week each through AuctionArms. You can find whatever you are looking for in a few weeks at not too bad a price. Here are links to their stuff on AuctionArms:
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?&ad=SuperPawn
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?&ad=CAF%20Sales

Three44s
12-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Hello Scrounger,

Sorry for the distraction:

But I just noticed your add on ...... "Getting Old Really Sucks" .....

I have thought this through ..........

Getting old really sucks .... that's true .......

HOWEVER .......... NOT getting old ........... REALLY SUCKS!"

Forgive me for the transgression .....

Three 44s

Snapping Twig
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
The S&W 586 is a great pistol with excellent balance and a sugar sweet action

http://http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P9180001.jpg

Sprue
12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I love Smith's too (nice pics), but after all he did mention Ruger.

Here's a somewhat vintage 2.75" 9mm Speed Six and a 4" Security Six in .357

Any .357 Smith, Ruger or Colt would serve you well. A Smith Mod 10, 586, 686, M27 or Rugers GP or vintage Six series would get my vote. The Colts are getting pricey. Your choice should be whatever fits you best, thats the way to go.

If I didn't shoot cast though, I wouldn't be shoot'n.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF0381.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF0361.jpg

part_timer
12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I love the rugers, each and every one.......... I also like the dan wesson. I'm left handed and being able to flip the latch with my right index while pushing the cylinder with the right thumb is very nice.

smkummer
12-05-2008, 09:16 PM
If you like a python action but not the price, the original trooper and its predesesor the .357 model are real sleepers for about $400. A maybe stronger gun that will never get out of time would be the Trooper MK3 or MK5 but don't have the tight lock-up of the original Colt positive lock action. Did I mention I like Colts? I have shot 5 shot groups under 1 in. @25 yards with 2 of these (6 in. barrels) and 38 wadcutter ammo. The 4 in. barrel is really handy though.
OK, you stated you were mainly target shooting? A Colt Officer's model match .38. Great target gun of the past for about $500. Why load .357 if you are going to shoot mainly paper? For $300 get a great shooting Official police .38. Both of these guns can handle any load 38 ever made.

dale2242
12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I would opt for the GP100. I don`t care much for the Ruger Single Actions, except for the SBH. I`ve had 2 S&W 357s- a Model 27 and a model 28. I would take the GP100 over either of the Smiths.---dale

Heavy lead
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a New Vaquero I bought used but don't think it was ever fired for $295, found a good load for it, windage was on, elevation was off, went to work with a file. Shoots outstanding. I have had and have some 24 Rugers and the only ones that were not throated correctly were the 45 colts, all were too small except one that was too large, that gets 455 boolits, the others I reamed. My New Vaquero is very accurate, however if I were to buy one new and wanted the single action I would get the anniversary model with the adjustable sights, but I would rather have one of the new GP100 limited run 5" barrel than any of the single actions, then put some wood Hogue grips on it like a wheel gun ought to have. Or a 686 plus with a 5" if you can find it, come to think of it I do have to find a Christmas present.:mrgreen:
Sprue, those are some darn fine looking Rugers.

jhrosier
12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a dozen or more .357 revolvers, from the M640 Smith to the 8-3/8" 686, small, medium, and large frame Smiths, as well as Ruger GPs, Security-Sixes, and several Blackhawks.
I like them all and wouldn't want to have to thin the herd. However, in a pinch, I would take a 4", 7-shot Performance Center 686 if I had to keep just one. Second choice would be a 5-1/2" stainless Blackhawk.

Jack

shooting on a shoestring
12-06-2008, 12:46 AM
The concensus is you should get one... any one... at least one.

I'll chip in and advise you to think about what else you want the revolver to do for you. If hunting or targets is on the agenda, go for a 6" barrel. If home defense and possible holster carry or car carry, a 4" is a good choice. If you might carry concealed, better get 3" or under.

The Blackhawks do leave the barrel higher above your shooting hand. That translates to more barrel flip in recoil and more barrel movement from small hand tremors or trigger pull. Double action medium frame revolvers such as S&W Mod 19 sit in your hand with the barrel very low to your hand in comparison. I find I shoot my Model 19 much better than my Blackhawk.

That said, the BH will take many more hot loads than the S&W and not have any issues. The BH is very simple in the action and is very easy to get a light and crisp trigger pull. The Smiths come with good single action pulls.

Just get one. It won't be perfect, but it'll be good and then you can get more later...like the rest of the guys above.

9.3X62AL
12-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Both the GP-100 and the Blackhawk are GREAT revolvers. I've run some screamer loads through my BisHawk x 357 x 7.5" that exceeded 1500 FPS with Lyman #358156.....cases fell free from the cylinder most of the time when the barrel was turned up and the cylinder revolved. Yeah, they're strong all right.

trickyasafox
12-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I love my security six, mine's not really a target grade tack driver as it has a sub 3in barrel, but they are a great revolver. I'd buy it again if the need arose.

missionary5155
12-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Get a Blackhawk !

jack19512
12-06-2008, 08:30 AM
And I'd skip the ones that come with the 9mm cylinder; because of the smaller diameter of the 9mm bullet and the lengthy free-bore of the Blackhawk cylinder, a Blackhawk fitted with the 9mm cylinder is usually a dismal performer in the accuracy department...

I have the Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and with the 9mm cylinder it shoots quite well. Actually I have shot a better group with the 9mm than the .357 so far. I haven't tried a lot of different ammo in the revolver yet though. I like the .357/9mm convertible simply because I can shoot either caliber. I shoot the .357/9mm more than I do my GP100 .357.

StrawHat
12-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Whichever Ruger you opt for, skip the heavy loads until you are comfortable handloading and can tell when problems are cropping up.

Ruger are built like tanks but even tanks are not indestructible.

I always find it interesting that anytime the Ruger brand is mentioned people always have to say how they can be loaded so much more than _____ (fill in the blank).

Cars can also be driven at 150 mph but unless you know what you are doing it is better to stay back at sane speeds. A very small error can be very costly.

Sorry for the rant, but food for thought.

Black Wolf
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Great info guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll clarify some stuff for some of ya'll.

I want a .357 vs a .38 because with a .357 I can have both. A .38 spl target plinker or a house gun in .357 for those bad-guys who think their man enough to break in my home.

I really like Ruger, beefy guns. I had a GP100 that I paid $357 for it about 20 years ago...wish I hadn't sold it.

I really like this Uberti 1873 CATTLEMAN BIRD’S HEAD w/ a 4" barrel: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/stallion_bisley_and_cattleman_bird_head.php

Anyone ever shoot any of those? It's marketed by Cimarron Firearms in the USA. A fella' I met at the local gun store owns 2 (was carrying one the day I met him) and the store had one of these in stock for $450.

I won't be using for a self-defense weapon - I trust my Sig P226 or my XD-40 to do that for me.

I'll be shooting some real light loads BTW. I feel it's a toss up between a Blackhawk, GP-100, or that Uberti Cattleman w/ Bird's Head grip.

Thanks again guys. BTW - :castmine: :-D

NHlever
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
If you like Rugers, and like the Uberti, you might like the New Vaquero Ruger. It is the same size as the Colts, and handles quite well.

9.3X62AL
12-07-2008, 02:06 AM
All three revolvers you mention will be fine for the light load work you specify. I would choose the one that feels best in your hand for the shooting activity you plan for it.

The only element I would add......no single handgun platform on earth does as many things as well as a high-quality double action 357 Magnum revolver with 4"-5" barrel.

SCIBUL
12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello.
My first 357 revolver was a 4" stainless GP 100. I sold it when I married and needed money :(. Since this time I have had 8 357 and have kept only 2 : a S&W 5" 27-2 (the love affair) and a 6,5" stainless blackhawk that I dressed up with stag grips. These are very accurate revolvers and keepers but I sometimes regret my GP 100 :???:

Doc1
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Just a few notes on the .357: I approach firearms, at least in large measure, from a survival and viability perspective. I want it to work every time, I want it to be fairly easily repairable (by myself) and I want it to digest reasonably common ammo I can load and find components for.

Yes, I do hunt and engage in recreational shooting, but only with weapons meeting the above criterion.

In all of these respects, the .357 shines and the Ruger GP-100 more so than most.

I'm actually more of a 1911 man, but have no trouble admitting that the .357 is the most versatile handgun caliber on the planet. Snakeshot? .38 S&W? .38 Spl.? .357? A .357 Magnum revolver will digest them all easily, as well as several other less common obsolescent cartridges. Components? There will be .357 and .38 components mouldering away in forgotten basements and cupboards long after your great, great grandkids have met their maker.

The .38/.357, much like the 30-06 and .45acp, has a history of being one of the most popular cartridges in North America for the better part of a century. That legacy doesn't disappear quickly in a country this large and much like Coke bottles and Ford parts, you can be sure that .357 components will be around for a long, long time. The newer semi stuff? Less certain...

The OP isn't concerned about defensive use, but it still bears observing that the ancient .357 consistently rates as one of the most effective fight stoppers. Though not my personal choice for wild pigs or deer, the .357 continues to do very respectable duty in filling the freezer across the country.

If I were reduced to the awful choice of having only one handgun to "do everything," AND be able to fix it, it would have to be my GP-100.

Best regards
Doc

jack19512
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Just a few notes on the .357: I approach firearms, at least in large measure, from a survival and viability perspective. I want it to work every time, I want it to be fairly easily repairable (by myself) and I want it to digest reasonably common ammo I can load and find components for.

If you wanted to speak strictly of a survival situation I would think the 357/9mm Blackhawk would be a winner. After all when compared to the .357 what handgun cartridge would likely be as popular and available than the 9mm.

Doc1
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
If you wanted to speak strictly of a survival situation I would think the 357/9mm Blackhawk would be a winner. After all when compared to the .357 what handgun cartridge would likely be as popular and available than the 9mm.

Jack,

You certainly get no argument from me on that score! The Blackhawks are fine choices too and I wouldn't argue against the convertible cylinder set up.

Best regards
Doc

Catshooter
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I have been reduced to owning but one firearm twice in my life. Both times it was finances. If it were to happen again I would select my 2.5 inch Smith 686. It is very difficult for one firearm to do it all, but that one comes as close to any as far as I can tell.

Extremley accurate, easy on powder and lead yet still powerful enough to do the work needed. Easy to conceal, and that is very important to me.

Mine runs 105 grain wadcutters to 218 grain Keiths just fine.

The .45 ACP & .45 Colt are both wonderful in a sixgun, but they are of course much bigger than the 686. Tough to choose, but I still think the .357 wins out.

Cat

Ghugly
12-08-2008, 07:08 AM
A lot depends on what fits you. I had an S&W model 28 that was a dandy except for the fact that I could never shoot it for beans (not the gun's fault, just didn't fit me). Sold the Smith to a guy that still loves it and bought a Blackhawk. I could make the argument that the Smith was a better gun, I guess. The difference was, I could shoot the Blackhawk.

Almost forgot. My Blackhawk had the 9MM cylinder. This was in the early 70's. I think I shot a whole box of 9's through it, shrugged, and dropped the cylinder back into its velvet pouch. I wasn't impressed.

357tex
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I love the 357 have had at least one of them the last 40 years.I to at one time was reduced to one 357 it was a md19 2.5 in,it will do it all at close range,and sometimes amazed folks at longer range.I have had just about all of makes and md. at some point or another.But I like the k frames best,have 4,a 6in 19 a 4 in 19 and of course the old 2.5 in.My newest is a 4 in md.66 I love it as someone said it's even dishwasher safe.Most of my shooting has been 158 gr.cast at about 1200 fps.They kill deer pigs coyots pets and pest.I even shot a 700 lb.steer that jumped the fence at the wrong place landed an a t post it was stuck in the shoulder all the way it was running around with the t post sticking out top and bottem.A 158 gr lee TL cast went all the way through both shoulders.Went down at the shot,and was dead when I walked up to him.
I keep a blackhawk with the 9 mm cylinder,never shot the 9mm.
The last 2 years been playing with the 44 mag again,I injoy my md29 but it is too big a gun to have handy.
In my book the 357 is a must have.The right size to carry in overalls,and have handy everday,eought power for my part of the world.Easy to load for,just right.:-D

exile
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
At one time, I bought a 686 with a four-inch barrel, I had a chance to buy a 2.5 incher. Wish I had, I sold the four-inch model. Would probably still have the 2.5 inch model. I now have a 686 with a five-inch barrel, but it would not do well for concealment. A Smith K or L frame with a 2.5 inch barrel makes a good case for the one firearm option.

exile

357maximum
12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
For the money you quoted I myself would go find a used Dan Wesson (monson mass)model 15 or 715 pistol pack and never look back....how many of the others listed can give you 4 or 5 barrel length options in a revolver that is super slick super accurate adjustable for cylinder gap and super friendly to all of your whims in barrel length.?

practical_man
12-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Blackwolf,

Others have said don't overlook used Ruger Security Six (or other 6 series). That is darned good advice. They can be had for around $300 if you watch carefully. That leaves you a bunch of cash for powder and primers.

I have a vaquero, a 6" security six, and a couple other 357's. I also have a Smith 67 in 38 special. The .38 special smith gets the nod most of the time. You might look hard at a 38 special. Used Smiths can be had for very reasonable prices in 38 special.

I'm not knocking ruger. I own them and love them. If I had only one sidearm it would be the 6" security six (boy wouldn't it be great to have a 5" version). I'm also not knocking the 357mag, I just don't shoot mag ammunition that much. In fact, I can do most everything I want with the 38 special case and a 358156 boolit.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a double action ruger or smith&wesson. They are just plain reliable pistolas. Can't beat a good double action medium frame revolver for general use.

-john

Cracker
12-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Ruger junkie here. I love the GP100, SP101 and the SA's

Just sold off a Bisley Vaquero that I will probably regret selling in a month or two.

What you get will have a lot with what you are going to do with it. If there is any chance it will be used for self defence I would steer clear of a SA for legal headache reasons.

The GP100 is hell for tough BUT the three screw and "New Model" Blackhawks are built on .44Mag frame and cylinders, the GP100 is not(compair the two side by side, the BH is noticably thicker in wall thickness between chambers). Please do not confuse the NEW MODEL BH with the ANIVERSERY(sp) BH and the new flat top, the latter are built on a smaller SAA sized frame and are targeted for the CAS guys that shoot powder puff rounds.

I routinly shoot a 180gr round that sits on top of 16.5gr of H110 from my BH. I have not clocked it from the pistol but out of a 1894CP it leaved the barrel at 1870fps. A lesser pistol would kaboom.

jack19512
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
If there is any chance it will be used for self defence I would steer clear of a SA for legal headache reasons.

I'm curious, why would you have more legal issues involved with a SA than a DA?

acemedic13
12-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I have a taurus,5 rugers, and 3 smiths in that cal. All are great performers. The rugers are my favorite.I had a security six and it was an incredible gun. The rugers are the most for the money though. I personally dont like to buy used guns......I have.......but I try to stay away from it unless I know the person and the guns history. Good luck. There are few things more fun than looking for a gun and actually having the cash to get it!

jack19512
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Anybody????

Heavy lead
12-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Jack, only thing I can come up with might be if you were to be brought up on charges, the firing of a sa might show somewhat of a "premeditation" to a degree rather than using a da in da mode. Just a thought, don't know if this is the thought though.

Cracker
12-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Jack, only thing I can come up with might be if you were to be brought up on charges, the firing of a sa might show somewhat of a "premeditation" to a degree rather than using a da in da mode. Just a thought, don't know if this is the thought though.

DING DING DING

Anti gun zellot prosecutors and cival liability lawyers look for "cowboys" with the premeditation of of thumb cocking a pistol. Much the same advice is given about using handloads for self defence

jack19512
12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
DING DING DING

Anti gun zellot prosecutors and cival liability lawyers look for "cowboys" with the premeditation of of thumb cocking a pistol.

First time I ever heard this. :eek: I have always used my DA revolvers for the most part the same way, thumb cocking the revolver. I guess if I ever have to use any of my DA revolvers for protection against the two legged kind I had better remember not to use SA. Maybe I had better have witnesses that will testify on my behalf that I used DA only and at no time did I touch the hammer. :rolleyes:

waksupi
12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
If you have a DA revolver, you should learn to shoot it DA. I haven't shot competition with revolver for quite a few years, but you would not see anyone who had shot much, using them single action. Once you get the squeeze proper, you will find that you can shoot pretty darn accurate, at social distance and beyond.

StrawHat
12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
First time I ever heard this. :eek: I have always used my DA revolvers for the most part the same way, thumb cocking the revolver. I guess if I ever have to use any of my DA revolvers for protection against the two legged kind I had better remember not to use SA. Maybe I had better have witnesses that will testify on my behalf that I used DA only and at no time did I touch the hammer. :rolleyes:

Just use a rock or a shovel and they won't be able to say you used a gun.[smilie=1:

I still haven't seen anyone cite a case where handloaded ammo was used against the shooter.

But getting back to the thread, the DA revovler is as waksupi mentioned best used in DA mode.

Heavy lead
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
This DA thing is funny (strange not ha ha) for me, when I was younger I couldn't shoot DA worth a crap, I have two guns now that I have never fired sa at all, they have excellent pulls but I find if I practice properly that I have better trigger control in DA. Even my SRH 454 I very rarely shoot sa anymore. Also I have found the two stage triggers on rifles I have (only 3 of them) I get much better trigger control too, I have also come to like the "safe triggers" of Glock and Springfield plastic pistols too.

9.3X62AL
12-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I still haven't seen anyone cite a case where handloaded ammo was used against the shooter.

I never saw the issue come up--at all--in a whole lotta years of homicide investigation. Either the shooting is justified--or it isn't. Any shading thereof just moves the penalty length and/or settlement amount around.

Same goes for SA/DA usage. Most autopistols go into SA mode after the first shot, so would succeeding shots get deeper scrutiny than the first one? Anything is "possible", but I think "likely" is a better measurement standard, and it isn't very likely.

What it boils down to--if the shooting is justified, and only the assailant is struck by gunfire--things stay pretty straight-forward and uncomplicated. Where ramifications start piling up is a matter where unintended property/livestock/people get struck, and the idea of unintended discharge tags along when/if the hammer gets/is cocked at the time the affair gets under way. In a double-action trigger stroke sequence, it is more difficult to assert an unintended discharge than in the case of a single-action stroke.

BUT--never say "never". I know of one case involving a member of my agency who set off an unintended discharge IN DOUBLE ACTION while opening a collision-tweaked car door with one hand while holding a D/A revolver in the other hand. Sympathetic manual response reflex.

jack19512
12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I haven't shot competition with revolver for quite a few years, but you would not see anyone who had shot much, using them single action.

You haven't watched me shoot because if you had you would instruct me to go ahead and shoot SA. :mrgreen: But all joking aside, I do not depend on any of the revolvers that I have for defense purposes. That is what I have my Glock and Springfield 1911 for.

I shoot my revolvers strictly for fun and accuracy. I did however buy my Ruger 44 mag's for deer hunting also and eventually hope to take my first deer with a handgun. I will be shooting SA at a deer though. I do agree that I should learn to shoot DA.

jack19512
12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I never saw the issue come up--at all--in a whole lotta years of homicide investigation. Either the shooting is justified--or it isn't.

That was my thoughts also, I just didn't want to get into a peeing contest with anyone. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would make an issue of the weapon used whether it be SA or DA if used in a self defense situation. If someone has info on this I would like to read it for myself.

biggome
12-12-2008, 06:45 PM
No matter what your final thoughts about a .357 become, you will end up getting one, everybody needs at least one. Has to be one of the best of the best calibers for all around use. You personal needs and tastes will dictate your decision.

My first .357 was a 3-screw 6.5" Blackhawk that I fed with 38 wadcutters and mild handloads when I was 9 years old. It was a natural progression from the tiny Ruger Bearcat I had been shooting since I was 6. I later added a 9mm cylinder and it became my first "9". It now sees very little use with any type of ammo after some 37 years of ownership. My 45 Colt Vaquero is now my Cowboy gun.

A 4" Charter Arms Bulldog Tracker became my next .357. What a letdown, my .44 Special Bulldog and .22 Pathfinder have their place, the .357 really doesn't, I treat it like a 38 Special+P as it feels "not quite safe" when even moderate level loads are employed which is what I keep it loaded with. It lives in the drawer next to the computer in the event I need spam protection, otherwise it is rarely shot. I like the little Charters though the lightweight is not a good match for the .357.

They say that the third time is the charm and when it came to .357s it was true for me. I bought a 2.25" SP-101 and I was totally amazed by it's overall performance in all respects. It is heavy enough to tame the recoil of all but the really heavy loads. I like the grip and it points naturally and shoots to point of aim and is quite compact to carry. It does everything I could ask of it and was (and still am) so impressed with it that I bought a 3.125" version which quickly became my "go to gun" if I feel the need for one. The added barrel length added a nicely to the performance without adding much to size and weight which leads me to feel that a 3.125" SP-101 in .357 is one of the best choices for an all around use revolver. The fixed sights have been a non issue and are the best bet for carry, stainless steel is a big plus. My only complaint is that the bore finish of both of mine (as well as all others I have seen) is quite rough and they will lead up with plainbased boolits after 25 rounds or so though a cylinderfull of jacketed or even gaschecked slugs cleans it right up so it isn't that big of a deal for me.

There is an extreemly wide range of .357s to choose from, just pick one or two or more. Don't forget the rifles either, I love my 16" Rossi '92 clone.

Paul

9.3X62AL
12-12-2008, 06:57 PM
My sis in Bozeman has a SP-101 in 357 Magnum, and like Paul I was VERY impressed with that little package for a concealment/carry rig. It is a fine match of a GREAT caliber with an excellent platform.

My Model 686 x 4" is the usual back-country companion for me. It can be concealed with a little thought and effort, but is a bit heavy and doesn't work in the summer at all. A stainless 3" roller like the SP-101 or the S&W Model 65 would do the summertime CCW bit quite well, methinks.

Scrounger
12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
The SP 101 is my choice for a carry gun too. Here's a picture of mine:

ZHAWK
12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
The Rugers do seem to like cast bullets. My favorite Ruger I have is my Security Six. It's stainless with a 6" barrel and likes the Lyman 358156 mold. Very accurate with a number of different powders.

Heavy lead
12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
That was my thoughts also, I just didn't want to get into a peeing contest with anyone. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would make an issue of the weapon used whether it be SA or DA if used in a self defense situation. If someone has info on this I would like to read it for myself.

Jack, you should just carry that 10" Ruger around and pistol whip the bad guys if you get into trouble. Of course when you pulled it out it might get a little stinky when they saw it clear leather.:shock:

Black Wolf
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
A lot of good suggestions guys. I think I may go with a Vaquero or an Uberti, I really like the Bird's Head grips.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/stallion_bisley_and_cattleman_bird_head.php

jack19512
12-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Jack, you should just carry that 10" Ruger around and pistol whip the bad guys if you get into trouble.

It is a very intimidating handgun. Of the 3 Ruger 44 mag handguns I have it is the one I like the best and shoot the most. :)

biggome
12-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I am not a fan of the birdshead grip though I do think the Cowboy saddlehorn leaves a lot to be desired. Though I refuse to touch my 'ole 3-screw my 3.75" Vaquero 45 begged to be worked on.

I rounded the lower rear of the frame a good bit and then fitted the grips to the frame. It took about an hour and turned it into my handy winter carrygun. I have had people want me to do the same to their's though I refuse. It is really a suit yourself do it yourself job.

Paul

Click on picture for bigger image.

High Desert Hunter
12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
I have owned a variety of handguns, still do, mostly 44 and 45 caliber, but I did buy a 50th Ann. Blackhawk in 357, shot it a few times with factory ammo, wasn't impressed. Just about a year later, diesel was approaching 5 bucks a gallon, and the price of reloading went through the roof, I even had to start paying for wheel weights, out came the 357, and I am so glad it did, what a wonderful shooter, I bought a used Lyman 358477 mould, and it makes miserly use of my jug of Unique, hammers jackrabbits, and is a very fine desert rat packing pistol. I am expecting Santa to bring me 500 357 Mag cases, a box of gas checks, and a Lyman 358156 mould, I find I am loading for this shooter more than anything else, even the 45 ACP has taken a back seat, the only other new interest is a 32-20/32H&R convertible Blackhawk that I have had for 4 years, it was converted to be a fixed sight gun, and the barrel shortened to 4 5/8", I tried and tried with the 32-20, just got tired of cases splitting, brand didn't matter, so I have 500 cast bullets, (mine and others) that will be loaded in the H&R cases and given a try. I am down to one semi-auto, and one double action, a Springer 1911A1 Loaded, and a S&W M25-13, both are great shooters, but I grew up with single actions, and I really trust my single actions, I am really glad I gave this small framed Blackhawk a chance, may have to try and pick up the Lipsey's 44 Special on the same frame next year.

Dave (I know I really wandered on this post)
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/beerman3133/DSC00008.jpg

Heavy lead
12-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Ditto on the 44 special. I never was a huge fan of the 357 either until I picked up the New Vaquero (I really wanted the anniversary model but this was a steal), once I got the sights regulated with the 358429 load I worked up that was accurate, I just love this little gun, nice trigger and lays them right in there at up to 50 yards.

High Desert Hunter
12-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I sure hope Ruger reconsiders keeping the small framed Blackhawk in the lineup, for the 357, 44 Special, and now the 327 Magnum it makes for a great packing gun.

Dave

jnovotny
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I have several revolvers in .357. I also like the rugers,and the s&w's, and the dan wessons and the ubertis and the rossis,and the taurses' and the have i left any out?

Heavy lead
12-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Dave, me thinks they will, a lot of people really like this frame, it is so well balanced. I have a 50th 44 and like it, but I could just imagine the balance of the smaller frame special with the 4 5/8 or the 5.5 barrel.

High Desert Hunter
12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
I prefer a 5 1/2" for the increased accuracy it gives me, but this one in the 4 5/8" is just pure packin' pleasure, and it is still accurate enough for me to take jacks out past 75 yards with midrange loads. I think the 44 Special will be more of a good thing, although I must say I have really warmed up to the 357 cartridge, it had been over 30 years since I first fired one, it was my Grandad's old model Blackhawk, the first centerfire pistol round I had ever shot. Funny how becoming a bit of a miser has brought me back to where it all started.

Dave

BoolitSmith
12-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I have had several 357's.Never have had one I didn't love.I have been content for the last year or so with my 4'' Security Six.This gun does anything I need a revolver to do.My current cast load consists of a Lee, 158 gr RFN, air cooled WW over 6 grains of Bullseye.A friend of mine has a GP 100,that is a great gun.For the money, without sacrificing quality,look hard at the Rugers.

badgeredd
12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I've owned several 357s and I am now down to one, which I am positive will change in not too distant future. I've held on to the Vaquero, but still want a DA fo some kind. Knowing what I've liked and what I haven't I am now looking for a Dan Wesson, or a Ruger. I had a Service Six that I have always regretted selling as I also have felt about the Security Six, a few Smiths and a Sp101. Like the 4 inch or close barrels the best and I have always liked the feel of a Smith 586/686. Still I will likely go for GP100 or another SP101 or if I can find a clean one, a Security Six. The first 2 have a reputation as strong and good guns with a solid history of reliability, and I simply like the Security Six.

Ecc

Down South
12-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I only have one Ruger 357 and that's a SS GP-100 W/6" barrel. I did an Ibok trigger job on it and cleaned up the cylinders a tad. It's a great shooter and one of my favorites.

Crash_Corrigan
12-30-2008, 02:09 AM
I have had the Smith for 20+ years and just had it reblued. It deserved it! Very accurate revolter and a pleasure to shoot. It has a single action trigger that is as good as any Colt and is butter smoothe in double action. With a 6" tube it is a mite hefty to carry but in a good holster and a stiff belt I carried it on a security job for more than a year.

The Ruger is such a joy to handle, fondle, shoot and carry that I can hardly put it down. This was one of the Old Models made in 1970 with the good triggers and was never fired until I got my mitts on it. It has the convertible 9MM cylinder and is really thrifty in 9MM mode. I played with some heavy loads in 9MM and achieved a MV in excess of 1600 FPS with a light cast loading but leading became an issue and finally sanity returned and I went back to normal loadings.

It is an accurate piece and packs really nicely in a cross drawer holster. It is the survival gun for WTSHTF as it uses a variety of ammo. I always carry it when on the range as my protection weapon as this is an outdoor range on a major highway and although the gate is supposed to be locked at all times......I have found it open many times during the day.

When you are downrange checking your target who is guarding your gear and guns 100 yds away? We have not yet had an incident that I have heard about but it pays to be cautious. Most times I just slip the bolt from the rifle into my pocket and walk downrange but I keep on looking back from time to time especially if I am alone.

My buddy has one of those BirdHead Ulberti Repro 5 shooters in .38 Special. A very nice gun and really handles well but has lousy sights and we both found it difficult at best to hold a group at 15 yds. At 10 yds we can get about a 5" group but at a longer distance it was frustrating on our best days.

His is kinda tiny with a 3" tube but is very neat and again handles well. My Ruger OM BH is a mite bigger and heavier but wow can it group and shoot well.

If you get a Ruger you cannot go wrong if the gun fits your hand well. They are tougher than a tank and parts will available forever. A Smith is also a fine weapon but they are not made as stoutly as a Ruger. Think about a Thoroughbred or Clyesdale horse. When the mud is thick and the load is heavy U want a Clysedale to haul you out not a Thoroghbred who may panic or break a leg. Ruger = Clysedale and Smith = Thoroughbred.

I have never broken any parts on a Ruger. Smith and Colts were another story.

I have 3 Ruger bh's, One Smith, two Taurus, one EAA Witness, Charter Arms 327 Mag and a Browning Hi Power. The most loved gun is the Browning because it is the sexiest but shot the least. The most accurate are the Taurus 1911 in .45 ACP and the EAA Witness in 9MM. The most accurate Revolver is the Smith 586 but I shoot the Rugers the most because they are the most fun to shoot. The jury is still out on the 327 Mag as it has yet to be fired as my leg is broken.

Black Wolf
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20318&gun=Revolver
...except with a 3.5" barrel.

I've loaded up some cast 158 grain bullets and went to town. Good little shooter.

One thing I noticed, I shot some bullets and then reloaded them, shot them again (2 times fired brass by this time) and 4 out of 6 rounds did not fire. The primer had a dimple but not real deep. I wonder if I seated the primer to deep (dog-gone muscles I got). I reloaded them taking more caution not to push the primer in strongly, and they worked fine after that. First time this has ever happened. Quirk of the business I guess.

Catshooter
01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Glad you got a 357. Don't know what it is as the link wouldn't load for me, but good for you.

With primers, usually if they don't ignite the trouble is not seated deep enough. If the brass is properly formed one can't seat them too deep. Did they go off if you hit them again?

Cat

Black Wolf
01-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah - they fired the 2nd time around.

BTW - I tried the link and it loaded for me.

Heavy lead
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Loaded for me too, nice, what primers are you using?