PDA

View Full Version : Old Lee single cavity mold

abunaitoo
09-09-2020, 03:31 AM
Anyone still use them?????
I have a few and since I got a double, I've never gone back to the single.

GregLaROCHE
09-09-2020, 03:39 AM
I have one for a caliber I don’t shoot much. I have to agree that double molds really speed up production.

cwlongshot
09-09-2020, 05:46 AM
I have a number of them. Yes slower, But consistent and I still use. Ones that I like a d that are still made have been upgraded to the 6cav if LEE makes it.

One is the 163g swc 358. I really wish they brought that back. I keep watch for a used 6cav.

CW

smithnframe
09-09-2020, 08:11 AM
I have several of them.........still use them when necessary!

cwlongshot
09-09-2020, 08:12 AM
I have several of them.........still use them when necessary!
To me its kinda like choosing ta use a single stage when Ya got three Dillions sitting idle. ;)

Peaceful therapy. Helps me slow down my fast paced work day.

CW

Dusty Bannister
09-09-2020, 09:33 AM
The single cavity Lee molds are nice to have if you shoot an old battle rifle that needs something that is larger than the standard. Eroded throats, hurried war production, something of that nature. You will not shoot a ton of them, but you can enlarge the nose, or the bands, or remove the gas check heel and match the bullet to the firearms, without the expense of a custom mold. It is not all that difficult, does take time, but it is hobby time anyway. It should be fun and relaxing.

This sort of makes a good shooter a better shooter without buying a mold that costs more than the rifle in use. Not everyone has that interest so may prefer to go for the custom mold that only fits their rifle. Dusty

bangerjim
09-09-2020, 10:51 AM
All I use these days are 5 and 6 cavity.....Lee Al and quite brass ones.

I don't waste my time using 1 or 2 cavity molds any longer....unless it is something that I do not have a 5 or 6 banger for, which is rare.

gwpercle
09-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Oh Yeah ... Still got a few single cavities . When Lee came out with the $9.99 mould with handles ... I thought I had gone to Boolit Casting Heaven ... they were so affordable and I was so into casting all kinds of boolits . I shot a lot of 38 spcl. 148 gr. WC's and that's the only mould I bought a double cavity version of . A few rifle moulds are singles but I don't shoot a lot so single cavity do.

The single cavities got me started and served well , not going to throw them on the trash heap just yet .
Gary

Guesser
09-18-2020, 11:14 AM
I use 11 different single cavity moulds, 2 of which are Lee. They have been discontinued but produce such great bullets that I wish they were still offered. The 175 gr. 358 SWC and the 168 gr. 358 RN drop great bullets and have proven accurate in everything from 1 7/8" S&W to 20" carbines and single shots.
The rest are old Ideal moulds and are perfect in every way as well.

scattershot
09-18-2020, 11:39 AM
For a while, Lee had a program where they would trade you a double cavity mold for a single. Don’t know why they did it, or if they’re still doing it, but you might check.

higgins
09-23-2020, 05:37 PM
I have Lee sc pistol molds that I use once in a great while. I also have my first mold, a Lyman 358477 sc. Fortunately it casts close enough in weight and diameter to my 358477 dc of about the same vintage that I can cast with both of them alternately to speed production. I lube and load bullets from the two molds interchangeably.