PDA

View Full Version : uh-oh bad news on the 22 availability situation.

frkelly74
09-08-2020, 04:28 PM
I have been checking on 22 ammo at the local Dunhams and have bought some as a hedge and have reported my findings here regularly. Today I went in to check and there was very little 22 ammo left on the shelf. What was there was the premium types and the cheapest I saw was at $.10 plus per round. This is what I have been watching for and there it was. I realize that other places have already passed this point on the availability curve. Now we have too, apparently. Here we go.

Three44s
09-08-2020, 04:35 PM
A member here asked me “Why so many little cartridges that you reload?”

My answer is to insulate from 22 lr shortages and high prices!

Three44s

centershot
09-08-2020, 04:42 PM
A member here asked me “Why so many little cartridges that you reload?”

My answer is to insulate from 22 lr shortages and high prices!

Three44s

Amen to that! Here again, as it was during the Obamination years, I can shoot my .357 mag carbine cheaper than I can shoot my .22's! Ridiculous! It doesn't have to be this way!

frkelly74
09-08-2020, 05:22 PM
That was the original reason for the High Point 9mm carbine also. But just in case i have about 10,000 rounds of 22 long rifle here and there.

Idaho45guy
09-08-2020, 05:37 PM
.22 has been plentiful around here since so many stocked up since the last shortage. I've been surprised to see it so plentiful when remembering to check on it. I have plenty, so haven't noticed the last couple of trips.

Went to the local (50 miles away) Sportsman's Warehouse and their pistol ammo and components were completely gone. I did grab one of two cases of Federal large pistol primers, another box of HSM 10mm bear loads, and a box of .450 Bushmaster ammo.

Gone_rabid
09-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Checked out the nearest sportsman’s warehouse this past Sunday and the had no handgun ammo except for 50AE and 500sw. There was only 4 boxes of each.

Last time I was there about a month ago they only had revolver ammo.

I’ve been picking up a couple of boxes of whatever Is priced normal whenever I go out. Picked up 3 boxes of 145gr 350 legend from Walmart.

****s about to get even more real.

Wally
09-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Sadly we shooters have to now stockpile sizable quanties af ammunition as in the past 15 years there are frequent shortages of long duration for it. .22 RF ammo is a great example; every few years it is in short supply and the price goes way up. The manufactureres seemingly like it that way as they can immediately sell all they can make. I am not aware of any that increased manufacturing capacity since the last couple of shortage, all of which lasted for years. I have read it isn't profitable enough to warrant more capitalization. I never understood why China does make the stuff. Then...the gun grabbers complain about shooters that have many thousands of rounds stored away. I well recall in the 60,70,80,90's I never ever went to a gunshop or a shop that sold .22 RF ammo and saw the shelves empty of .22 RF ammo. BTW back then the ammo was far more reliable with excellent Quality control. IT WAS EXTREMELY RARE TO HAVE A FTF .22 LONG RIFLE ROUND...EVEN IN A FILTHY, DIRTY GUN. Remember the Rem 66...we were told there was no need to clean it!

PNW_Steve
09-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Amen to that! Here again, as it was during the Obamination years, I can shoot my .357 mag carbine cheaper than I can shoot my .22's! Ridiculous! It doesn't have to be this way!

My memory is getting bad..... I was getting a bit low on .22LR a while back and was shocked at the limited availability and the price. Then I found Aguila on sale at a good price. Not my favorite but fine for plinking and fun target shooting. So I ordered 4000 rounds.

Then I was puttering in the shop and saw I was getting a bit low on .22LR a while back and was shocked at the limited availability and the price. Then I found Aguila on sale at a good price. Not my favorite but fine for plinking and fun target shooting. So I ordered 4000 rounds.

Imagine my surprise when UPS brought me .22LR twice......

Needless to say the 8000 rounds I ordered along with around a thousand rounds on the shelf will keep me for a while.

Joe504
09-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Wally, China is banned from importing ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dverna
09-08-2020, 08:28 PM

Maybe we should vote for Biden after all......no....just kidding

Wally
09-08-2020, 08:51 PM
How very conveinent...looks like the lobbiests have done well..think about it, if they could export to thr US the bean counters at the ammo manufacturers would have to do somethiung to prevent these numerous shortages and proloinged shortages. Those that dislike ammo from China can choose not to buy it.

Texas by God
09-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Maybe we should vote for Biden after all......no....just kiddingI'll vote for Biden moving to China. Once at the polling place, once online, and once through the mail! Great idea!
When I was little, we shot our center fires seldom due to the cost. NOW- I shoot a gang of center fire handguns and rifles constantly(Cast Boolits!) and save the rimfire ammo until the shortage is over.
Life goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

.429&H110
09-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Blame it on my wife.
SWMBO discovered a brick of 22 makes a fine Christmas present for the grandchildren. We have nine. They all shoot 22. So she bought a whole lot of 22, every chance she could. I dunno how much she has left in 50 caliber cans. Whatta good grammar. Told me go get your own bullets.
Nobody ever returned a brick of 22.
I love my Swede, bears are afraid of her.
Run for your life! She has a rifle!
(30-06 Savage; dialed in)
She wants your teeth for a necklace! Run!
All we ever saw was bear's tails headed out.
Kids start with 22. Need lots and lots.

dragon813gt
09-09-2020, 08:57 AM
How very conveinent...looks like the lobbiests have done well..think about it, if they could export to thr US the bean counters at the ammo manufacturers would have to do somethiung to prevent these numerous shortages and proloinged shortages. Those that dislike ammo from China can choose not to buy it.

Have you been paying attention the past few decades? Any product that China can make and import here leads to the end of the product being manufactured in the US. Do we really want to be reliant of China for ammo? The shortages are caused by our political parties and consumers. There would be no shortages if one political party wasn’t slowly chipping away at the Second Ammendment.

Ozark mike
09-09-2020, 09:09 AM
As far as china goes i wish someone would bulldoze that country off into the ocean along with a few others

Joe504
09-09-2020, 09:11 AM
China cant import ammo because of the 1994 assault weapons ban, and the fact that Norinco is completely banned for selling anything to the US because they were trying to dump AK's into the US illegally.

Wally
09-09-2020, 10:35 AM
I am aware, however we've had too many persistent shortages...as stated I recall a 40 year stretch when there were none--in the last 20 how may have there been? Do we really enoy shooting a pellet rifle when your ammo runs out? Nothing much we shooters can do when so many vote for that party.

Have you been paying attention the past few decades? Any product that China can make and import here leads to the end of the product being manufactured in the US. Do we really want to be reliant of China for ammo? The shortages are caused by our political parties and consumers. There would be no shortages if one political party wasn’t slowly chipping away at the Second Ammendment.

Gray Fox
09-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Just to try to clear up some of the confusion I found in the above conversations, China exports to here, we import from there. GF

quilbilly
09-09-2020, 11:44 AM
As far as china goes i wish someone would bulldoze that country off into the ocean along with a few others
No need if the Three Gorges Dam goes. The epic flooding on the Yangtze River has the dam under serious pressure this summer. If the dam goes, the flood downstream will take 80% of the Chinese economy with it along with the CCP. The city of Wuhan will be one of the first to disappear.

waksupi
09-09-2020, 12:02 PM
I still have bricks from the Clinton administration.

Texas by God
09-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Too bad we couldn’t have traded Bill and Hillary to China for a brick of .22 ammo. We’d probably have had to throw in some Kaiji.

bedbugbilly
09-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks Gray Fox . . . things were getting a bit confused there. :-)

I look at it in a couple of ways as far as the shortage . . . . partially due to productivity shortages . . . and no one could predict the Covid crisis or how many would not be going to work . . . and partly because of the panic and resulting hoarding. No different than the toilet paper/paper product shortages when Covid hit. Add in the sway to the left and all the disruptive behavior . . . gun sales went up with even some Dems buying some due to their fear of what is going on. With added gun sales goes increase demand for ammo - including 22s.

I bought a new Henry lever action 22 in January . . . hmmmm . . . . now a shortage again like we had to put up with during the Obama and BIDEN gig. I have a brick of 500 LR and maybe a total of 300 Shorts but I guess I will just hang on to them and not shoot the new rifle until supplies become available again. I refuse to get up and stand in line at 5 in the morning to get a number for when a sporting goods stores opens up in order to get a chance to buy a box or two of ammo like we had to do the last time.

Personally, I don't want any Chinese ammo as all it does in importing ammo from outside the US is cut down on American manufacturers ability to compete as well as puts Americans out of work. It's unfortunate about the scarcity of 22 ammo - but I'm hearing from others that it's the same with centerfire ammo in some places. Thankfully, I reload - but even then, powder, primers, etc. are short as well. If it gets really bad as far as shortages, I can always pull the flintlock out.

We can thank the politicians, in most cases, for the shortages - and I'm talking those in BOTH parties. They've lined their pockets and sold the American public out when it comes to China and other countries. Prescription drugs is just the tip of the iceberg and God Bless the POTUS for trying to put a stop to it and bring the jobs and manufacturing back to our country for our CITIZENS. This is my personal opinion, but I feel that the POTUS has only been wrong about one thing . . . he called Washington, D.C. a "swamp" . . . but perhaps he was just showing restraint . . . he should have told it like it is . . . it's not a "swamp" . . . it's a "septic tank".

Hopefully, those that enjoy shooting their 22s will have enough ammo to keep going until supplies improve. All I can think of are the kids and grandkids that are losing out by not having enough 22 ammo to learn to shoot, learn proper gun safety and most of all, make great memories with their parents and grandparents.

farmbif
09-09-2020, 12:55 PM
it might just about be time to get rid of that nasty sticky norma tac 22 stuff

MT Gianni
09-09-2020, 01:24 PM
I only shoot 22 in a contender. You go through a lot less than a teenager with a 10-22.

canyon-ghost
09-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Howdy waksupi!

dragon813gt
09-09-2020, 04:33 PM
I am aware, however we've had too many persistent shortages...as stated I recall a 40 year stretch when there were none--in the last 20 how may have there been? Do we really enoy shooting a pellet rifle when your ammo runs out? Nothing much we shooters can do when so many vote for that party.

There are to many factors to list but I will list some. Manufacturers are run by accountants. They don’t want product sitting around because that means they are spending money and not making it. Combine this w/ an inventory tax and it’s why everyone has switched to “just in time” manufacturing. This can be good for the companies bottom line but never good for the consumer.

Like the oil industry there are boom and bust cycles. Capital expenditures are limited because of it. And tooling for ammo and component production is not cheap.

There’s a lot more to it than just that. You can also look at what was happening when the shortages happened. It always happened around something anti-gun in some form. Sometimes it was implied and sometimes it was real like the AWB.

Shawlerbrook
09-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Going to get worse before(if) it gets better. If Obama didn’t teach you the Boy Scout motto, shame on you. The pandemic only made this inevitable shortage start early.

Wally
09-09-2020, 07:57 PM
I learned, as I am sure many others have, as well. I have a stash that I bought here & there whjen it was available and at reasonable prices. However I also know that I have to use it widely and shoot less. Oh well my trusty German pellet rifles will come in handy again.

Snow ninja
09-09-2020, 11:12 PM
I only shoot 22 in a contender. You go through a lot less than a teenager with a 10-22.
I used to go through a 550 brick every week- if I was pacing myself...:wink:

oldred
09-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Maybe we should vote for Biden after all....

Good thing I don't have your address or I would come over and stom,,,,naw I would have to wait in line for my turn!:mad:

farmerjim
09-10-2020, 12:20 PM
I got caught a bit with Clinton. After that shortage evened out I quickly acquired lifetime supplies of 22LR and reloading supplies. Some of my powder and primers was bought back in the 60's BC (before Clinton)

waksupi
09-10-2020, 12:38 PM
Howdy waksupi!

Still alive!