PDA

View Full Version : Found a Maytag ringer on my property

Tripplebeards
09-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Is it worth anything or should I just scrap it? I didn’t realize what the ringer part was and already took it to the scrap guy...but I’m sure I can get back.

https://i.imgur.com/EIGDwqP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ikEz30w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/88kqAWG.jpg

I was debating on making a minnow live well out of it and putting it in the garage. Just wondering if it’s worth anything to make up for my time and gas I used hauling four loads of scrap to the dump that was left on my property before I acquired or if I should just give it to my scrap guy?

waksupi
09-08-2020, 11:31 AM
You got rid of the part that was most valuable!

mattw
09-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Dad and I launched one of these, always cleaned shop rags in gasoline in one. We would park in out in the middle of nothing in the barn lot in case something went wrong... finally did! I swear it was headed for orbit!

Tripplebeards
09-08-2020, 11:44 AM
You got rid of the part that was most valuable!

Lol, yep I know. If it’s still there and he lets me have it back I’ll grab it. Might not be worth messing with. The machine has a couple of decades on me so I didn’t know what the ringer was.

Is what I have pictured worth of any value of I don’t recover the ringer?

jsizemore
09-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Only if somebody is rebuilding one.

rancher1913
09-08-2020, 12:36 PM
antique shops will buy them but you wont get a lot, more than a scrap yard though. I have one in pristine shape with motor in one of the barns and probably 3 or 4 more in about the same shape as yours. city folk like to turn them into planters for their yard

Tripplebeards
09-08-2020, 12:38 PM
^^^lol ...that’s what my sister said to do. I have enough crap in my yard.

Jniedbalski
09-08-2020, 12:40 PM
I had one we picked up on a clean up week on the curb by the street.I didint thank it would be worth anything. It was in very nice shape. It went for over 600$ at a small auction.

one-eyed fat man
09-08-2020, 12:43 PM
Young 'uns? or victims of spell check?

Wringer as in wring your neck...or tit in a wringer

Ringer is the part of a telephone as old as the washing machine that made the bell noise[smilie=s:

Mk42gunner
09-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Depends if you can get the wringer back or not, first.

Second is if you can get all the dirt and stuff out of the drive gear, it looks pretty packed to me.

Third, it has been taken partially apart by someone so it probably has issues.

I used a few as a kid in the seventies when you could find them for $5-15, and would like to have a working one now for greasy stuff, but that one looks too far gone to me.

Robert

Tripplebeards
09-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Probably both.lol

I’m sure it was sitting out there because it obviously was broke so there’s got to be something wrong with it other than the dirt packed in it and it’s rusting like nobody’s business. My relatives who previously owned the land would still be using it if it worked.lol

As much as I think it’s neat I think the scrap man’s probably going to get it. He took two refrigerators at no cost so if he sells this thing for any money he at least will get paid back for doing the favor of taking the two old refrigerators for free. I gave him thee truckloads of scrap as well. I was just happy to get the mess off my property. It’s about 35 minutes each way to the scrap yard so I figured by the time I ran back-and-forth with gas I probably would’ve lost money trying to sell the scrap myself.

Winger Ed.
09-08-2020, 01:02 PM
Any redneck in Arkansas would be proud to have it.

Repaint it and put it on the front porch.
It'll look great with a commode flower pot and '75 T Bird up on blocks in the front yard.:bigsmyl2:

You can spot the rich people out there too--
they have two '75 Thunderbirds up on blocks in the front yard.

Tripplebeards
09-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Now yer talkin Ed!

My dad told me that’s where the saying came from “don’t get your tit in a wringer!”...and he told me my grandma actually did!!! Good thing there was a reverse on it.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-08-2020, 01:39 PM
On wash day, usually Monday, what little boy didn't think it was a good idea to stick his right hand in the wringer, just to see what would happen? I tried it. Good thing Mom wasn't far away. About the one you have, scrape it. Who needs that kind of trouble. Time wasted.

farmbif
09-08-2020, 01:44 PM
theres a house down the road that has one like that on the front porch. I'm pretty sure they still use it on wash days. you sure won't find a new washer that will last as long as those old time American made ones.

samari46
09-09-2020, 12:39 AM
Don't know how waterproof that thing is now, but with a few coats of Refrigerator enamel might juts make a dandy beer cooler. Guy not too far from me has an old big John Deere tractor out in front of the house. And some folks on a neighboring street have two Kubotas sitting way back on their lawn. All rusted to heck. Seems a shame they let them get that way. Nothing but scrap metal now. Frank

Winger Ed.
09-09-2020, 12:47 AM
theres a house down the road that has one like that on the front porch. I'm pretty sure they still use it on wash days.

The real old ones that had the hand lever to make the agitator turn would survive a 12 megaton blast.
(Most people got rid of those when the kids grew up and weren't there to operate it anymore)
The gas engine ones would go and go too.
The newer electric motor ones would out live several motors if they didn't rot away from underneath in the weather.

Ozark mike
09-09-2020, 12:50 AM
Id rather have one of those than one of these crazyfornia water saving pieces of crap like i bought a few years ago

2A-Jay
09-09-2020, 01:03 AM
I inherited my Mothers Wringer Washer (hand crank wringer) I used the Wringer for shop towels, car towels and such. Wish I still had the Wringer now.

frkelly74
09-09-2020, 07:12 AM
What I don't know is why a washing machine has , or needs, blue teeth??

Ozark mike
09-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Kinda like cars with eyeballs in there rearend

waksupi
09-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Now yer talkin Ed!

My dad told me that’s where the saying came from “don’t get your tit in a wringer!”...and he told me my grandma actually did!!! Good thing there was a reverse on it.

When I was around 4 years old, I got my fingers in one. Still have two badly crippled fingers!

Hossfly
09-09-2020, 12:20 PM
If you weren’t so fer north I’d come get it, but my wife wants a front stuffer.

Hossfly
09-09-2020, 12:20 PM
If you weren’t so fer north I’d come get it, but my wife wants a front stuffer.

30calflash
09-09-2020, 01:30 PM
If you get the parts back and fix it it would be pretty cool.

There's a youtube vid with one setup with a small diesel powerplant, chuggin along nicely. For you offgrid folks, or if you're nuts about diesels.

Mk42gunner
09-09-2020, 02:08 PM
Did you know there used to be different attachments that replaced the wringer?

I saw a meat grinder once, it looked factory to me. It was at a two day estate auction, this guy had a collection of just about anything you could think of; 20-30 wringer washers, probably over a hundred tractors, you name it it was there.

Robert

white eagle
09-09-2020, 02:26 PM
can't say if it's worth anything as far as money but if you use a lot of minnows it would be worth that

Tripplebeards
09-09-2020, 03:38 PM
I know I gave the junkman the ringer and it's sitting in his driveway but I think it's going to be more of a headache to try and get it up and running or just put back together and then just to find the right person to waste their money on it. I think my junk man will be getting it this afternoon.

Camper64
09-09-2020, 07:25 PM
That lid makes a great frying griddle for the campfire.

rbuck351
09-09-2020, 11:07 PM
One of those lids was my dads favorite frypan when hunting/camping

Tripplebeards
09-10-2020, 09:10 AM
Darn it shoulda kept the lid! I dropped it off at the scrappers house yesterday. Figured it wasn’t worth the trouble. The last truck load of of dumped junk went with it. Three garbage cans full of broken glass,bottles, and a lot of perfume bottles. Most had their plastic tops still on them and full of perfume. I also had ice fishing otter sled full of busted glass and rusted lids that I raked and shoveled into it. I’m sure there’s more under the dirt if started digging but I figured the weeds will grow over the spot. I might sprinkle clover seeds over it. I did find a deer rack in the rubble. Mice chewed off one side so I have half of a 4 pointer to display. I’ll hang it in the garage. I made the mistake of opening some of peppermint Smelling muscle relieve bottles and got it on my gloves. The smell gave me a gut ache. I believe most of the pile was from the 70’s and 80’s. There was an old late 60’s Pontiac lemans hood but it had a shotgun blast through it and all bent and dented up along with a couple of 1980 license plates, spark plugs, distributor caps, ...and you name it, all gone. Another thin off my bucket list I got done. There I another junk pile on top of my ridge that the previous next door neighbors dumped over a half a century ago. I’ll have to go through it next year. I know there’s an old TV up there with nothing in it. It’s like an empty shell.

bedbugbilly
09-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Hmmmm . . . . . I'd be careful . . . looks like someone was "laundering money" on your property? :-)

When I was in high school, Dad and I bought one of these old Maytags at an auction for $1.00. It worked fine and the wringers we're in good shape. We used to use it out in the shop to wash shop rags - but NOT in gas! -)

jonp
09-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Any redneck in Arkansas would be proud to have it.

Repaint it and put it on the front porch.
It'll look great with a commode flower pot and '75 T Bird up on blocks in the front yard.:bigsmyl2:

You can spot the rich people out there too--
they have two '75 Thunderbirds up on blocks in the front yard.

No sofa?