PDA

View Full Version : Pyro 2f?

Evoken
09-05-2020, 09:33 PM
Gentlemen,
I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I was given an almost full bottle of pyrodex 2f. I usually run goex 3f in the tube and goex 4f in the pan.
Can I use the pyro 2f in my flinter hawken? Or is this just asking for trouble?

I typically run 70gr under .490rb if that make a difference.
Thanks,
Ken

Ozark mike
09-05-2020, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't use it because its a rust nightmare on nice firearms. Id get some real ffg if ya like yore gun

RoyEllis
09-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Pyrodex is harder to set off with flinters, be better to trade it off to a percussion shooter.

rancher1913
09-05-2020, 09:44 PM
it works for a charge powder but not so good for flashpan powder. use the chart for it and not what you have been doing.

quilbilly
09-05-2020, 10:43 PM
Pyrodex sucks moisture out of the air much worse than Goex 3F which I have used for 30+ years. It works fine in a desert climate but not in the Northwest. Ozark Mike explains what happens above in addition to regular misfires after only a short time in the barrel.

TheOutlawKid
09-05-2020, 11:09 PM
I second all the negatives said above about pyrodex...if someone gifted me a bottle i would definately know they are no friend of mine :-P

arcticap
09-06-2020, 03:19 AM
Gentlemen,
I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I was given an almost full bottle of pyrodex 2f. I usually run goex 3f in the tube and goex 4f in the pan.
Can I use the pyro 2f in my flinter hawken? Or is this just asking for trouble?

I typically run 70gr under .490rb if that make a difference.
Thanks,
Ken

It can be used as the main charge as long as a small booster charge of black powder is first loaded into the breech, and black powder is used in the pan.

A minimum booster charge of 5 grains of black powder needs to be used.
Even though 10 grains might sound like it would be better insurance, the main charge can be ignited with as little as 5 grains as long as the lock produces a strong enough spark.
The 5 grain booster charge simply needs to be close enough to the vent to catch the powder flash from the pan.

It's not asking for trouble since a flint shooter named Herb tested fired thousands of loads of sub. powders from his flinters without ever having a misfire.
He liked to post photos of his targets and velocities on the muzzleloadingforum.

Evoken
09-06-2020, 05:59 AM
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Maybe an excuse to get a percussion gun though....

smithnframe
09-06-2020, 06:17 AM
Pyrodex doesn't work well in flint locks!

waksupi
09-06-2020, 12:07 PM
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Maybe an excuse to get a percussion gun though....

Blasphemy!

mooman76
09-06-2020, 12:58 PM
I've used Pyro for years with no problems. Yes it corrodes worse that the real stuff but either way, BP or synthetic, you need to clean your gun and clean it good. Like stated use a small priming charge of real BP before loading the Pyro and it should shoot fine.

Evoken
09-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Blasphemy!

Don't get me wrong, I love my flinters. However, I think I like all the guns and I dont have one of those....

arcticap
09-06-2020, 02:46 PM
The funny thing about Herb's method was that he wouldn't even load the booster charge separate from the main charge.
He would simply add the booster charge to the top of his powder measure [last] and then dump the whole load into the bore at the same time, booster charge and all.
But then he used custom sized cartridge cases as powder measures, which were not shaped like typical powder measures.
They looked like they were .30-06 cases of various lengths.
And he also had several custom flinters that must have been great sparkers to ignite the booster charge each and every time.
To never have a misfire with any sub. powder is pretty amazing.
But he was a man on a mission, to prove how all of the subs performed when loaded into flintlocks.
He used a chrony to compare the velocities and consistency of many of his shots, and showed his fired targets with notations on them.
He wanted everyone to know how to easily utilize the sub. powders in a flintlock.
That way, running low on black powder wouldn't be an excuse to not shoot flintlocks, and folks would feel confident about shooting with sub. powders to stretch out their black powder supply.

KCSO
09-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Depend on if you want it to actually go bang?

Evoken
09-22-2020, 06:29 AM
Using this in the flinter seems to be out of the question since I have plenty of goex. However, could I use this to make cartridges? I would be for a stainless marlin 45-70 guide. The lr primers should touch this off.
Just need some way to burn this stuff up without wasting it.

sharps4590
09-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Large and small, rifle and pistol primers will ignite Pyrojunk just fine. Shooting it in a lever rifle, be familiar with disassembly and assembly. That stuff will creep into the action and must be cleaned.