PDA

View Full Version : Slugging barrel

45 hunter
09-05-2020, 09:08 PM
I just picked up a CVA compact in 350 legend and I want to shoot cast bullets out of it. But I didin't have any pure lead bullets that size to slug the bore. I found that 3/8 oz bullet shaped worm weights would work. They measured .365, used some teflon based lube and a 1/4" aluminum rod to drive it through the barrel. It measured between .355.5 and .356.

Gregorious
09-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Egg shaped fishing sinkers work well also.

onelight
09-05-2020, 09:22 PM
That works :)

45 hunter
09-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Ya I thought about the egg shaped ones, but the worm weights were tapered like a bullet and started really easy! But what ever works!!

Mk42gunner
09-06-2020, 10:07 PM
I tend to use Pure lead round balls for a muzzle loader or cap & ball revolver since I usually have something close in size that will work. Lightly lube the bore, whack the ball in the muzzle with a rawhide mallet then push it through with a metal rod. Sometimes it takes a bit of tapping to get it all the way through.

You got the most important part right: use a metal push rod, not wood.

Robert

greenjoytj
09-07-2020, 10:17 AM
I think you need a ball end micrometer to take measurements in the groove to the slug.
A standard micrometer will measure across the slug lands which is the vital measurement one needs to know for purchasing the correct size bullet for the slugged barrel.

Dusty Bannister
09-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Might be easier to just use pin gauges to determine the bore diameter of a barrel. Makes no difference if there are odd or even lands to deal with.

JCM45
09-07-2020, 10:47 AM
What size lead fishing weight works well with a .30 cal barrel?

mdi
09-07-2020, 01:09 PM
I have slugged the barrels of 95% of the guns I own, basically for my knowledge. I believe "soft/pure" lead is suggested because it is easier to drive a slug through the barrel. My last barrel to slug was a new 9mm with poly rifled barrel. I had no "soft" slugs so I used an unsized cast 359"+ bullet I cast out of my Mystery Metal for approx 12-13 BHN. I lubed the barrel and slug and while it was more difficult to get the slug started, I was very careful and it worked fine (slug measured .356")...

Mk42gunner
09-08-2020, 12:32 AM
Maybe it is me, but this isn't rocket science.

I don't really care what the bore diameter is, I care about the groove diameter. I measure my slugs with a dial caliper, it reads to a thousandth, and that has been close enough for me. I can extrapolate finer with the position of the needle on the dial.

I have also used a micrometer, (after I got one) but the dial caliper has always given me close enough.

The big thing is to not get a wooden rod broken off and stuck in the barrel.

Robert

44Blam
09-08-2020, 01:07 AM
I like this stuff:
https://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

You get a chamber and bore cast. Way easier than hammering a piece of lead through your barrel. It's pretty cool.

ukrifleman
09-08-2020, 05:49 AM
267418I use candle wax to slug my bores.

You can make it as long as you like and I get a chamber cast as well.

Dusty Bannister
09-08-2020, 08:40 AM
How do you compensate for the wax shrinkage? I know lube sticks and candle wax shrinks as it cools.

ukrifleman
09-08-2020, 02:49 PM
How do you compensate for the wax shrinkage? I know lube sticks and candle wax shrinks as it cools.

Right or wrong here's how I do it.

I would hesitate to use this method if the bore was pitted.

The bore has to be clean and DRY, no lube of any kind.

Roll up a plug of paper and push it down the bore as far as you like, then tamp it from both sides to make a sealed plug.

Stand the rifle muzzle down, then carefully pour the wax and avoid it getting into the locking lug recesses as it is a PITA to remove.

Allow it to cool then check that there is no overspill of wax that would prevent the slug from moving.

Gently tap the slug out with some wooden dowel from the muzzle end.

Remember that candle wax is relatively soft so take care when measuring.

I have not found that wax slugs shrink once cooled using this method.

ukrifleman.

fcvan
09-08-2020, 02:50 PM
I think the only way to control shrinkage is to use jeweler's casting wax and a PID controlled oven, slowly cooling the wax. At least that what a hobbyist jeweler told me. Kind of hard to do for the chamber casting.

Texas by God
09-08-2020, 10:41 PM
267418I use candle wax to slug my bores.

You can make it as long as you like and I get a chamber cast as well.I learned this from you months ago and in your honor the first gun I did was a SMLE. It worked perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ukrifleman
09-09-2020, 08:00 AM
I learned this from you months ago and in your honor the first gun I did was a SMLE. It worked perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thankyou for the accolade, nice to know I have at least 1 satisfied customer!!!

ukrifleman