PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure you never did this ...

trebleplink
09-05-2020, 04:22 PM
So, I placed my Lee 6 cavity mold on the shelf in my molding area in my barn - It used to be a spray paint room with a big blower providing lots of ventilation. This was last week. So, I finally get my alloy for 45 colt worked, and today I start to cast it in molds... Well, the !!#*&%$!! mud daubers crawled through the sprue shear holes and filled each cavity up with nasty mud/cement. I knew I can't use a wire brush to help clean it, so an hour of tooth brush and soapy water later, I think they're clean. Note to self: Always put molds back in the box.

ascast
09-05-2020, 04:30 PM
I have perhaps a half dozen rifles that have dauber evidence in them, mostly inherited guns. I don't leave my molds lying around. But I will be more careful now.

Ozark mike
09-05-2020, 04:31 PM
Dont have those here just hornets yellow jackets and 1 or 2 other ones. back where i lived in s missouri those daubers filled any hole they could get to. Couldnt tell ya how many blind threads had to be cleaned out before ya could stick a bolt in it. Fun times

Winger Ed.
09-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Be glad yellow jackets didn't lay claim to it.
They've got a real attitude problem.

Especially if you look them in the eye. They hate that.

Mk42gunner
09-05-2020, 09:46 PM
Not in a mold, but I have a sporterized Type 38 Arisaka carbine in 6.5x257 Roberts that I had to learn about counterboring a muzzle on. The barrel would have ended up too short to be legal otherwise.

It still makes a decent little woods rifle with aperture sights.

Robert

Ozark mike
09-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Thats why ole timers would always tell ya to check the muzzle first thing when ya grab it no matter what kind of hurry yore in

LenH
09-11-2020, 08:36 AM
I have an old Dixie Gun Works round ball mold (all cast iron) that got misplaced and I found it the next time I cast and a dirt dauber had filled it in. I'm glad it was a single cavity.

Ozark mike
09-11-2020, 04:02 PM
I guess this is another reason to go with aluminum or brass molds[smilie=f: