PDA

View Full Version : using 22 caliber lead-free bullets in an AR

guy_with_boolits
09-05-2020, 01:38 AM
I'm in the market for some lead-free bullets for various reasons and I notice people in the comments on midway etc..using solid copper bullets whose caliber is described as "22 cal" in their AR's. The bullets are listed with a diameter of .224". They are solid copper but have <55gr weight.

Whats the logic here? Could I use a "22 cal" .224" 35gn bullet in an AR with the right charge?

Some of these lead-free bullets are much less expensive when you get below 50gn compared to the explicitly AR 5.56 ones which weigh more (and maybe have some other geometry that makes them more "AR")?

cstrickland
09-05-2020, 09:15 AM
yes you can use them in an AR . Barnes has some frangible copper tin bullets in that weight , and I believe Leigh defense has a couple of all copper in that weight as well.

the logic is marketing. each of the ones I mentioned is marketed to a specific purpose. I will let you go to the respective sites and read that . Also some states are moving to lead free,so it you want to hunt there are not a lot of other options.

now as far as way less that is typically not the case, it may be at this time due current situations, but typically all copper are some of the most expensive bullets to buy.

guy_with_boolits
09-05-2020, 11:08 AM
yes you can use them in an AR . Barnes has some frangible copper tin bullets in that weight , and I believe Leigh defense has a couple of all copper in that weight as well.

the logic is marketing. each of the ones I mentioned is marketed to a specific purpose. I will let you go to the respective sites and read that . Also some states are moving to lead free,so it you want to hunt there are not a lot of other options.

now as far as way less that is typically not the case, it may be at this time due current situations, but typically all copper are some of the most expensive bullets to buy.

thanks. So some more questions:

Is there some practical limit as far as bullet weight in an AR? I mean is anyone using 35gn 22cal in a 5.56 AR?

What data should I use for loads? (I know this is a question like I'm dumb..just looking for a general answer, especially if it comes to very light bullets)

Is it a known and routine thing to use 50gn or lighter lead free "22 cal" bullets in a 5.56 AR and load it to cycle the action no prob?

I'll put whatever I find out in here. I'm hunting info

cstrickland
09-05-2020, 08:16 PM
thanks. So some more questions:

Is there some practical limit as far as bullet weight in an AR? I mean is anyone using 35gn 22cal in a 5.56 AR?

What data should I use for loads? (I know this is a question like I'm dumb..just looking for a general answer, especially if it comes to very light bullets)

Is it a known and routine thing to use 50gn or lighter lead free "22 cal" bullets in a 5.56 AR and load it to cycle the action no prob?

I'll put whatever I find out in here. I'm hunting info

I am sure at some point there would be but People are using very light bullets in 204 ruger (32 grain ) and 223/5.56 (40 grain) is the AR. Now you may need to get a slower twist barrel like a 1-10 or a 1-12 to get best accuracy . You will need to look up the load data. Both Nosler and Barnes have load data for their light bullets on their website

P Flados
09-05-2020, 08:42 PM
When my boy first got a 5.56 AR, we needed to use frangibles due to our indoor range restrictions . He found some 45 gr pretty cheap and bought a decent sized batch. We found that they shot pretty good and bought another big batch as the cost was too good to pass up. It is the only projectile I have been loading for the gun and we still have a bunch of them.