PDA

View Full Version : Knock about pants

metricmonkeywrench
09-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Its time to look towards getting some good lightweight inexpensive knockabout pants for doing such things as yardwork (mowing edging) auto repair, light hiking and of course casting and shooting.
I wore out (or grew out) my military issue years ago but I like and am accustomed to the cut. Jeans, though somewhat comfortable, are often to heavy and chafe of course and for some reason the modern versions just don't seem to last.

My latest pair, found new at a yard sale, are a EMT style which fit well and gave me free movement sitting crawling around under cars and so on has become quite threadbare in critical places. I looked into something like the 5.11 stuff before but with most styles these days they seem to be cut for stick people.

I mentioned getting some good old fashioned overalls but the wife gave me that look.

Any suggestions?

BamaNapper
09-04-2020, 12:39 PM
My preference is the painter pants from the local farm store. I believe Rural King here typically sells them for $10-15. They're lighter than most jeans and are cut more generously. The couple extra pockets don't hurt either. For really light weight around the house try a pair of medical scrubs from a uniform store. A down side to scrubs is almost unusable pockets.

Gone_rabid
09-04-2020, 12:44 PM
I’m employed in the maintenance field and really enjoy the flex firehouse pants at Duluth trading. Lightweight, comfortable, stretch in places you need to stretch. I find myself wearing them all over as I bought the shorts as well.

farmbif
09-04-2020, 01:02 PM
good thread. I got a pair of painters pants, good for painting and they are light for hot summer weather and its easy to see the ticks to pick em off and they get dirty and stained after just a few outings of yard work but white pants look kind of goofy on me.

MT Gianni
09-04-2020, 01:30 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Relaxed-Fit-Cargo-Pant-with-Stretch/897258450?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227280023476&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=338594170713&wl4=pla-659234348100&wl5=9021352&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=897258450&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5dLonIPQ6wIV0_HjBx3WKwwaEAQYAiAB EgJoS_D_BwE
I have gotten a lot of use out of Wrangler cargo pants. You can get a lightweight style but these hold cell phone and wallet where I am not sitting on them.

Gtrubicon
09-04-2020, 01:32 PM
I also like the Duluth flex fit, I’m actually wearing them now!

pete501
09-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Martial Arts Gi Pants. As comfortable as Pajamas.

Hey or how about pajama bottoms. Not for me but I see people wearing them in public., Some with fuzzy slippers..

scattershot
09-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Have you consideredmilitary surplus? Should be lots of Army-Navy stores around.

gwpercle
09-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Cabela's Legendary 7-Pocket Hiker Pants .

I found their 7-Pocket Hiker Shorts to be so comfortable for summer I decided to try their pants for winter .... They are a winner , I like the pockets too .
Gary

metricmonkeywrench
09-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Hmmm I don’t think Mama won’t let me out of the house in jammies... painters pants are intriguing but I’m really not good with white....

Shawlerbrook
09-04-2020, 03:32 PM
Check out the Sportsman Guide for some milsurps pants but be careful of the crazy sizing.

skrapyard628
09-04-2020, 04:27 PM
+1 On the Duluth firehose flex pants. Thats all I wear at work, and when they start getting too beat up to be presentable in front of customers they get retired to yardwork/garage duty.

My favorite thing (other than being comfortable) is that the one style has a pouch on the knees that you can insert foam kneepads. Yeah, I receive a few dirty jokes about "what are you getting ready to do" when putting in the kneepads. But constantly kneeling on concrete while working can really do a number on your knees.

farmerjim
09-04-2020, 04:33 PM
I like the Rural King Jeans. They are light and are $ 8.99 on sale.

monadnock#5
09-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Wrangler Riggs "Ranger". Rip stop reinforced. Extra layer of fabric on the front from seam to seam, and from 6" below the knee to crotch. Lots of pockets and so don't have to choose between Sig P238 and cell phone. Not what I would choose for all day outdoors or wilderness, but only because they're cotton. Perfect for just about anything else though.

Pipefitter
09-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Another vote for the Rural King jeans,,, $9 and when my wife cant patch them anymore it is no big loss. I go for the carpenter jeans, lots of room for the twins in there.

kenton
09-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Hmmm I don’t think Mama won’t let me out of the house in jammies... painters pants are intriguing but I’m really not good with white....

Get some Rit dye and make them what ever color you want, even tie dyed!

rking22
09-04-2020, 06:34 PM
I am required to wear the ESWP uniform at work, well sorta, I use the shirt like a lab coat. Anyway, they are intended to protect from arc flash, and have a limited life for that use. I have a lifetime supply, but I bet they are available on the used market. If I need long pants for something, the flame and flash retardant cotton is a plus. Weld splatter dosent catch the frayed cuf on fire, for instance. Used work uniforms used to be dirt cheap, like a dollar per shirt cheap, haven’t needed any for years. Might look into it if you are like me and more frugal than fashion conscious.

lightman
09-04-2020, 07:37 PM
For what you need them for theres not a single good answer. A good comfortable outdoor pant is probably going to be some type of synthetic material that you won't want to use for casting.

Gone_rabid
09-04-2020, 07:52 PM
+1 On the Duluth firehose flex pants. Thats all I wear at work, and when they start getting too beat up to be presentable in front of customers they get retired to yardwork/garage duty.

My favorite thing (other than being comfortable) is that the one style has a pouch on the knees that you can insert foam kneepads. Yeah, I receive a few dirty jokes about "what are you getting ready to do" when putting in the kneepads. But constantly kneeling on concrete while working can really do a number on your knees.

The only issue I’ve had with the flex ones is if I’m machining or welding the hot bits will burn them and create streaks/lines As if they have been stretched too far. I won’t buy any other pants for work.

I only buy them when they send an offer out for 40% off.

Handloader109
09-04-2020, 07:57 PM
synthetic? no, stay away. Jeans. cheapest. Heck you can buy 3 or 4 pair of rural king or similar (tractor supply has a line as well as Walmart) for what one pair of overpriced Duluth

Mk42gunner
09-04-2020, 08:13 PM
I wear Key bib overalls in the winter, both grandpas wore them, I like the fit. They are a bit warm for summertime wear what with the bib of denim over your stomach.

This year I started wearing what I always called painter's pants, in blue denim. Carhart's version is lighter than jeans, and has an extra pocket on the left leg that holds my cell phone. Key calls this style a dungaree.

Walmart carries this style of pant in the Dickies brand in a lightweight canvas, cheaper than the Carharts; but the first pair I bought had quality issues, the seam on one of the front pockets was missing for about an inch.

Robert

Three44s
09-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Painter pants have an advantage of being cooler (light color) and used them for a few years on the farm. They do show dirt and grime quite admirably however.

For many years now I use uninsulated bib overalls in the summer and insulated Carharts in the winter.

The overalls give a guy lots of CCW options.

Three44s

Alstep
09-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Tractor Supply has their Schmidt brand. Been using them for years. Comfortable and give good service. All cotton too. They have blanket lined for winter. Almost that time of year again.

dverna
09-04-2020, 10:06 PM
I am way too cheap to buy anything from Duluth. They may the best product, but I will never know. My loss...maybe.

rockshooter
09-04-2020, 11:00 PM
I've tried the Duluth stuff- good quality but overpriced. Most of my work jeans are Carhardt from the farm supply store.
Loren

winelover
09-05-2020, 07:34 AM
I settled on these for the cooler months.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-riggs-workwear-ripstop-ranger-cargo-pant-3W060.html?
dwvar_3W060_color=3W060BR

I really liked Cabela's/Bass Pro's canvas zip off (convertible) pants for the Summer months. However, like everything else, they change suppliers and quality suffers. Most other brands have too long of an inseam for the shorts. I don't want shorts that go down to the knees................7" inseam is perfect for me. Otherwise, I'll stick with long pants.

Tried a pair of Bass Pro lightweight rip stop carge pants for this Summer and I like them. They are cool and light, plenty of pockets but I wouldn't call them ripstop. After the second washing, the reinforced zipper/crotch area is already starting to pull away.

So I went on Duluth's site, looking for cool lightweight pants. Ordered a pair of their CoolMax Fire-hose pants, which happened to be on sale ($63), at the time.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-fire-hose-coolmax-relaxed-fit-cargo-pants-62622.html?dwvar_62622_color=CAN&cgid=mens-pants-cargo-pants&e

Disappointed, that they are still made overseas, for that price point. Also they have asymmetrical cargo pockets.............none on the right side. Not a big deal to me, since I'm left handed. Don't know how righties deal with it. Haven't had them long enough to determine their lifespan. Needless to say. I didn't return to their site to order any additional colors.

MrWolf
09-05-2020, 10:48 AM
I’m employed in the maintenance field and really enjoy the flex firehouse pants at Duluth trading. Lightweight, comfortable, stretch in places you need to stretch. I find myself wearing them all over as I bought the shorts as well.

Yup. Bought these when Levi's went Left. All I wear now and I can CCW for really discreet doc visits in my front right bottom cargo pocket.

Walks
09-05-2020, 01:04 PM
But the Duluth last a Loong Time.

Haven't bought anything from the ripoff artists at sportsmans guide in 20+years. And I never will again.

Is Anything made in the U.S.A. that we can afford ?

foesgth
09-05-2020, 03:25 PM
But the Duluth last a Loong Time.

Haven't bought anything from the ripoff artists at sportsmans guide in 20+years. And I never will again.

Is Anything made in the U.S.A. that we can afford ?
Prison Blues (http://www.prisonblues.net/)are US made. They are more than 10 bucks however.

Idaho45guy
09-05-2020, 11:48 PM
I ordered a pair of the CQR tactical pants off of Amazon for work for $30 and found them extremely comfortable and resistant to stains. Ordered three more pairs in different colors. I used the Propper tactical pants for a few years, but they stained easily and they raised the price from $30 a pair to $50. So I switched to CQR and found them more comfortable and a little nicer.

Just checked since I could use another pair and they raised the price to $38...

My favorite pants of all time were the green pants I wore when in Naval aviation on the carrier. Super comfy and durable and under $15 at the Exchange. Don't make them in my fat guy sizes though, I suspect.

Ole Joe Clarke
09-06-2020, 09:42 AM
I looked at the Dickie brand of cargo pants at WalMart last Thursday. They are light weight like I need in Dixie, but so cheap looking that I didn't buy any.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

MT Gianni
09-06-2020, 03:40 PM
It is crazy when we have no problems paying more for lunch than we do for pants.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-07-2020, 09:30 AM
At work i like to were these they hold up well https://tacticalgear.com/propper-uniform-lightweight-tactical-pants-black
but at home it's Duluth Fire hose they go on sale a lot and the pockets are deep just right for a J frame
https://www.duluthtrading.com/?srccode=BBPPCMN&chnl=ps_brand_text_mn&region=in_region&msclkid=5257fa09c0f913d6cc16a55ff36dfe40

gwpercle
09-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Cabela's 7 Pocket Hiker Pants don't look like jammies or painters pants...
they have a manly military look to them ... mama would let you out in public with them .

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2020, 06:40 AM
when im not in wranglers or carharts im in sweats.

metricmonkeywrench
09-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Final resolution, we hit our local Gander Outdoors this weekend and found some real tree pattern Camo pants for $14, lined Canvas work pants for this winter on the clearance rack and Momma insisted on some Columbia Cargos for work till they get worn or stained as usual that I can be see on public wearing.

The $14 set are the sacrificial lambs till they fall apart

shooterg
09-15-2020, 11:24 PM
allamericanclothing.com Not cheapest but made here.

fcvan
09-16-2020, 02:04 AM
I used to buy 5-11 BDUs when I was SWAT, but tru spec brand is serviceable and affordable. I still like cargo pants because of the utility of being able to carry useful items like a seatbelt cutter/knife, utility tools, spare magazines for my EDC.

Inner pockets that hold M4 mags also hold larger smart phones. I was so used to carrying gauze and ace bandages in my thigh pockets that sometimes I still do. Of course the gauze is sealed and ace bandage is new, but you get the idea.

I’ve responded to so many accidents off-duty that such things were practical in rural areas. Go box with rations and water, portable stove, you know, basic Boy Scout stuff. I guess I’m rubbing off, oldest daughter has her SUV loaded with such items, as does my Wife. MREs can suck sometimes but they store well in the trunk. Heck, HAM radio is a hobby but I’ve had to use it in the tall and in cut country.

762 shooter
09-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Painter pants have an advantage of being cooler (light color) and used them for a few years on the farm. They do show dirt and grime quite admirably however.

For many years now I use uninsulated bib overalls in the summer and insulated Carharts in the winter.

The overalls give a guy lots of CCW options.

Three44s

How do you ccw with bibs?

Idaho45guy
09-16-2020, 11:38 PM
I was at the local hardware/building supply store that has a fairly large clothing section with Carhart, Caterpillar, and Dickies work wear. I was waiting for some deck paint to get mixed, so I thought I'd look for some pants. They had some nice looking Dickies work pants. $62!!!

I just looked them up on Amazon and they are $29.99 in my size. I like to support local business, but not at 100% mark up.