PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Dove Hunt

Johnch
09-03-2020, 09:46 PM
I decided to go with a couple of friends this afternoon dove hunting at a chopped area of Sunflowers
We all used 20 gau 870's
So I took 10 boxes of my 20 gau reloads that had 1 oz of #8 shot that I had made out of scrap lead
Unique and Claybuster replacement Winchester 20 gau wads in well used Win AA 20 gau hulls

We had 3 rotary wing dove decoys
Also we had 12 dove decoys

So we put out the 3 rotary wing decoys at 20 yards on 5' tall home made stakes , I extended the factory stakes with 1/2" thin wall conduit
We put out 3 dove "Trees" to hold 4 doves each also at 20 yards, the "Trees" are also made from 1/2" thin wall conduit painted brown

We didn't get there till 4:30 and the doves were already flying

Well I have been dove hunting 2 other times already , so I told the other 2 that they were to shoot first

Errr I think I was the only one that had shot a shotgun in the last 6 months
As it was a laugh watching them miss easy shots
Not saying I didn't miss also ..... I just missed a little less of the easy shots

Between 4:30 and about 8 PM the 3 of us got 24 doves , also 2 were lost in a soybean field
Of the 24 we got , I got 6 of them as I was letting the other 2 guys shoot first

We picked up hulls and any trash , some was from another group Tuesday

I am planning on hunting as much as I can
Because I have bacon to wrap the dove breasts
I just can't let it go bad , so it must be eaten LOL

John

Mk42gunner
09-03-2020, 10:36 PM
I haven't dove hunted in several years, but I well remember the acrobatics doves under fire can accomplish. It can make the most accomplished shot look like an idiot with a noisemaker.

Robert

Texas by God
09-04-2020, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a great time John!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Markopolo
09-04-2020, 09:30 AM
again, whats a dove?

LIMPINGJ
09-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Fried dove breast, cream gravy and homemade biscuits, little pillows from heaven.

Johnch
09-04-2020, 07:45 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_dove

Here look at this

John