PDA

View Full Version : Universal extended shell holder other than Hornady?

AbitNutz
09-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Anyone seen a extended universal shell holder other than Hornady's? I'm looking for one that raises any shell holder I want to snap into it. Not an extended specific shell holder.

Yes, the Hornady works but it holds the guest? Client? shell holder with a set screw. I was hoping to find one that held the shell holder in with maybe a spring clip or jaw tension like on most press rams.

jaguarxk120
09-03-2020, 10:08 AM
That's how shell holders were held in place years ago.
I have a Lyman Spartan and a Super Mag with that type of ram.
Yes the screw is small but it teaches you to be careful when putting
in the shell holder.

kokomokid
09-03-2020, 10:14 AM
The Hornady shell holder has worked fine for me. You might try Vickerman dies as they have a large assortment of custom shell holders. They recently made me a custom one for my 6mm Dasher with no primer relief so I could hydroform brass to a Dasher.

AbitNutz
09-03-2020, 10:28 AM
The Hornady shell holder has worked fine for me. You might try Vickerman dies as they have a large assortment of custom shell holders. They recently made me a custom one for my 6mm Dasher with no primer relief so I could hydroform brass to a Dasher.

I will, thanks.

mdi
09-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Out of curiosity I looked at some pics online of extended shell holders and extended universal shell holders, from Hornady, Redding and RCBS. None have any clips or setscrews to hold the shell holder in the extension. Interesting though RCBS offers extended shell holders in specific sizes, just like standard height shell holders...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011375469?pid=151937

AbitNutz
09-03-2020, 03:47 PM
Out of curiosity I looked at some pics online of extended shell holders and extended universal shell holders, from Hornady, Redding and RCBS. None have any clips or setscrews to hold the shell holder in the extension. Interesting though RCBS offers extended shell holders in specific sizes, just like standard height shell holders...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011375469?pid=151937

The only one I could find that has an extended universal shell holder is Hornady. Everyone else, and everyone else consisting of RCBS and Redding are just great big individual shell holders.

Hornady does use a small set screw to hold the client shell holder in place. I wish someone would make a universal shell holder that would hold the client shell in place with a floating spring clip like the MEC Marksman press does. I have one and they work incredibly well. I'm foolishly trying to contact some folks/machine shops that could possibly modify a Hornady universal extended shell holder to use a MEC Marksman spring clip but I'm sure they'll turn me down.

salpal48
09-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Ch4d Makes one . No set screw Just an Rubber o ring To hold the guest SH . You can use the O-Ring Or not

onelight
09-03-2020, 07:48 PM
I leave the set screw loose enough to slip a shell holder past it most of the time on my spartan unless doing a big run in the same shell holder. I don't use it much now but it had a great deal of use in the past

ulav8r
09-03-2020, 11:04 PM
I found one on my Rockwell 10 inch lathe.