PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal lead

eggwelder
09-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Had a bunch of badly contaminated lead, you know, the oatmeal stuff. Makes great round ball, but Won`t fill out a rifle boolit mold for nothing. Made a bunch of balls, have not shot any yet. Anyone have good luck with RB made from this stuff?

It`s great slingshot ammo, took out a squirrel in the tree bedside my house With a .45 ball and my wrist rocket. Nice satisfying smack and it dropped out dead.

jessdigs
09-02-2020, 08:05 PM
There are A few threads on the forum about getting the zinc out with sulfur.
or if you have a PID you can precisely control the temperature and skim the bad stuff out

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Bloodman14
09-03-2020, 01:15 AM
Quick answer; use rose dust (powdered sulfur) to get the zinc out. It forms Zinc Sulfide, which makes a crust on top of the melt. Chemically inert, just throw it away after it cools. There is a thread in the Alloys section with more info.

10x
09-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Quick answer; use rose dust (powdered sulfur) to get the zinc out. It forms Zinc Sulfide, which makes a crust on top of the melt. Chemically inert, just throw it away after it cools. There is a thread in the Alloys section with more info.

Also keep the temperatures down, Do not breath the fumes - do this outside, and stay away from the down wind side.
The fumes will kill you .
If you have a lid that fits the pot and keeps the sulphur fumes in, it will help.

eggwelder
09-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Not really concerned with getting the zinc out, was just going to toss the stuff. I have several hundred lbs of good lead. I`m going to use it for plinking, will probably need to adjust the load and patches for this stuff, It was cast with torch and ladle, heated long enough to melt it and pour. Probably three pours before it turned to oatmeal and needed reheating. Got about 200 balls out of it in both .45 and .50.

Was just asking to see if anyone else has done this and basically what changes they needed to make to shoot this stuff effectively. It is a little lighter And a lot harder than lead COWW.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-04-2020, 09:18 AM
shoot 'em up...Shouldn't be any issue at all.

eggwelder
09-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Shot a bunch of the .50 on the weekend. Used Jim shockey`s 50 gr powder pellets that someone gave me about 6 years ago with a 20 gr kicker charge in my flintlock. The dropped quite low at 50 yds, so I bumped up the kicker to 30 gr. Brought it up a bit, the powder pellets might be loosing power perhaps due to age, i don`t know. I`ll dail those in, there is about 200 of them so might as well use them up. Some other people showed up at the little range in the woods so i left. They mostly wanted to talk and ask me questions about their guns