PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey bacon wrapped tenderloins

Tripplebeards
09-02-2020, 07:18 PM
I wrapped my wild turket tenderloins in bacon tonight and baked at 400 degrees for a half hour. Internal temp was 160 degrees. I put the lions back in on broil for a minute till the bacon was crispy. Filled a beefsteak tomatoe with cottage cheese picked from my garden to go with it. Three places were set and there were no left overs...sorry.lol

Never knew that piece of meat under the breast was so tender...and called a tenderlion. I always make jerky out of it. Not any more!

https://i.imgur.com/GC3XoTh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hrzXCZM.jpg

Chad5005
09-03-2020, 12:32 AM
looks good,i tried to make myself like cottage cheese but cant do it

Winger Ed.
09-03-2020, 12:36 AM
Bacon should be its own food group and required at every meal.

mattw
09-03-2020, 12:41 AM
This time of year, I eat 1.5 to 3 pounds of maers a day... with cottage cheese. About the only time of the year I can go meatless for a meal or 2.

That looks so good, never had wild turkey. Love wild pheasant, is it similar?

Tripplebeards
09-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Never had or harvested a pheasant in decades so I don't remember. I pulled one of my spring turkeys from the deep freeze and put it in the fridge last Friday. I plucked it but decided to cut it up instead. Tuesday I breasted it and pulled out the lions behind the breast to separate. The loins were about a pound between the two of them. I also cut all the leg and thigh meat off the bone.
I soaked all of it in salt water for two days. Yesterday I ground up the leg and thigh meat into burger. Ended up with 3.5 pounds of burger. The breasts had some bloody pellet holes so I carved out the blood shot meat. I ended up with 2 pounds of strips I'll use for either turkey fingers or jerky and 2 pounds of nuggets. Instead of tossing out the blood shot pieces I threw them back into the fridge with a salt brine to see if I can soak the blood out. If it soaks out ill grind it up into burger. I would say it’s about a half pound of meat or a little less. I didn’t save the neck or wings. So for a 27 pound bird I ended up with approx 9 pounds of meat.

WebMonkey
09-03-2020, 12:20 PM
looks great.

the 'tender' is always separated here at the homestead.
turkey and chicken alike.

my wife usually uses them up quickly.

;)

Finster101
09-03-2020, 12:28 PM
I thought this was about marinating bacon in Wild Turkey. My mistake, carry on. :razz:

MaryB
09-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Never had or harvested a pheasant in decades so I don't remember. I pulled one of my spring turkeys from the deep freeze and put it in the fridge last Friday. I plucked it but decided to cut it up instead. Tuesday I breasted it and pulled out the lions behind the breast to separate. The loins were about a pound between the two of them. I also cut all the leg and thigh meat off the bone.
I soaked all of it in salt water for two days. Yesterday I ground up the leg and thigh meat into burger. Ended up with 3.5 pounds of burger. The breasts had some bloody pellet holes so I carved out the blood shot meat. I ended up with 2 pounds of strips I'll use for either turkey fingers or jerky and 2 pounds of nuggets. Instead of tossing out the blood shot pieces I threw them back into the fridge with a salt brine to see if I can soak the blood out. If it soaks out ill grind it up into burger. I would say it’s about a half pound of meat or a little less. I didn’t save the neck or wings. So for a 27 pound bird I ended up with approx 9 pounds of meat.

Neck and wings make the best turkey stock you will ever taste. Make it and save it for Thanksgiving!

Tripplebeards
09-04-2020, 12:31 PM
I ended up with 1 pound 4 oz more burger from the breast that I carved the blood shot meat out. Never knew how much gets wasted I could have soaked clean! I washed off the salt brine and set the meat back in water a good hour before I ground it up. My tenderloins were really good but salty. I touched the raw meat today with my tounge before and after soaking in plain water for an hour and there was a big difference in how strong the salt taste was before compared to afterwards. Live and learn. When I thaw out my strips and nuggets I'll do it in a pan of water so it can dilute some of the "over salted" brine I soaked it in.