PDA

View Full Version : Minimum velocity for proper expansion for Cor Lokt ?

Elroy
09-02-2020, 06:40 PM
I bought several boxes of Remington 150gr Cor Lokt 7mm bullets from Midway USA a year,or so ago,and have loaded them both in my 7mm-08,and 7mm Rem Mag,and the shot well in both. I traded my 7mm Rem Mag for a 308,and now I have been experimenting more with them for the 7mm-08,and have found that 46gr of StaBALL 6.5 powder gives me great accuracy,and no signs of excessive pressure,in fact my primers look good enough that I could go a few steps hotter if I wanted,but I like 46gr because it gives me such a good,and symmetrical group. A three shot group is was a tight triangle with the shots almost touching,I shot two more,and they were right in the mix ,and I was really tickled with the accuracy..I had some loaded with 46.5 gr,and they shot well,but they were not as tight,but they were still plenty good enough in terms of accuracy for my hunting plans for this rifle..I was getting about 2,625 fps with 46gr, and about 2,675 with 46.5gr. about 20 ft from the muzzle .Will the 150gr Cor Lokt pointed soft point expand properly at this speed ,or will it just go right through,and dump it's energy in the first tree it hits ? I have always used the Hornady 139gr Interlocks at about 2,850 fps,and still have about 3 boxes of them,but I would like to try the Cor Lokts if 2,600 fps is enough to be used inside of 150 yards,or so..I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter...Thanks

5Shot
09-02-2020, 06:43 PM
I think you'll be fine. They don't have a really hard core. I always had good luck with them in a 300 Savage, which probably used the same design bullet as a 300 Mag.

Hogtamer
09-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Amazing what a half grain of powder will do sometimes. I had similar results improvement with 1/2 gr of 4064 in my .270, down to 1/2 moa at 300 yds when I can hold it. Ballistic tip 130 gr

Elroy
09-02-2020, 07:36 PM
These bullets were obviously not made with the 7mm-08 in mind these in the picture are seated at 2.83" in brass trimmed to 2.25". 267139

Mk42gunner
09-02-2020, 09:29 PM
My wag says it'll probably expand well down to about 2,000 fps impact velocity, maybe a bit less.

The only sure way to tell is to test it. This can be as simple as waterfilled gallon jugs at whatever range you intend to shoot.

Robert

samari46
09-05-2020, 12:39 AM
The cor lokt bullets are basic cup and core bullets. I'd take a look at 30-30 velocities 2200 FPS as a base line and go from there. If you have a buddy now would be a good time to ask him to chrono your reduced loads. Once you get a base line you can try ballistic gelatin to see how well your bullets expand at your chrono'd velocities.Or better yet get a hold of your bullet maker and ask if he had any data regarding your 7mm bullets or 308 bullets and I would think they would share the data with you. Frank

Elroy
09-05-2020, 09:37 AM
I know they make a Core Lokt for 30-30,but they have a big round exposed lead tip,and I had some factory 308 Core 150 gr Lokt ammo ,and it claims about 2,820 fps on the box I was getting a little less than that from my Savage 10 according to my chronograph. I wouldn't have even worried about 2,600 fps if I knew the bullet was the same one that Remington loads in 7mm-08 ammo,but from what I have seen they don't sell 150gr Core Lokt ammo for it.The cannelure is up too far to be made for 7mm-08.I bought these bullets from Midway a while back,and they are repackaged,but I don't think they are seconds because of all the seconds I have bought they always have seconds on the lable,and never have the actual manufacturer printed..These bullets have a real small point,and just a small dot of exposed lead on the tip.I personally think they look like plated bullets,because I have put them up side by side of factory Core Lokt bullets,and they look dull. I don't doubt Midways honesty,but I do kinda wonder if they may have made a mistake..They shoot well,so I really don't care what they are as long as they will expand at whatever velocity I will be getting at 150 yards,because that's the maximum range I can conceive shooting were I intend to hunt this rifle.

Three44s
09-05-2020, 10:05 AM
I think you are set!

Go forth and hunt!! You have some yardage limits that are conservative by my estimation and accuracy to die for. Be happy!

Three44s

Elroy
09-05-2020, 10:24 AM
I think you are set!

Go forth and hunt!! You have some yardage limits that are conservative by my estimation and accuracy to die for. Be happy!

Three44s

The reason I say 150 yard is my limit for this load is because I intend to set up a little hunting blind up on the bank that over looks a small ,and narrow bottom that has a big bend in it The bottom is about 300 yards long,and I intend to set my blind up so I can cover the whole bottom..I took a few pics just out of boredom.The first is a closed look at the bullet and the second is a comparison with other bullets .The bullets are from left to right the suspossed Core Lokt from Midway,a Pulled Federal Fusion ,which I know are plated ,and then a Sierra Pro hunter,a Speer Hot Cor,and a Hornady Interlock.I think the last three all look nice,and slick,but the first two look dull.That's why I suspect the Midway bullets may be plated as well 267239267240

Texas by God
09-05-2020, 01:57 PM
I have never had a Core Lokt bullet fail to kill the game animal in one shot in my life time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FLINTNFIRE
09-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I have used them through the years always did what they were designed to do , loved them when midway sold them in bulk , drove them through deer and killed elk with them .

jonp
09-05-2020, 04:16 PM
The 150gr CorLokt was designed with 30-30 velocities in mind and despite the wonder bullets out now has been my bullet of choice for moderate range hunting whitetail for 40yrs. They do what they are designed to do without fail imho.

30-30, 308, 30-06 and anything in that range I think they will work just fine. I even used a CorLokt in my 357Mag GP100 to take a nice 175lb whitetail. Bullet entered and broke the shoulder, took out the lungs and stopped on the off side mushroomed like it should have.

The best thing is that you know what your distance limit is and are picking a bullet for the expected velocity at that distance. Post a picture of that nice deer your going to get

Elroy
09-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the input folks. I have also killed deer with Core Lokt factory ammo,and they always got the job done ,but they were in 270,and 30-06,and had more muzzle velocity..I was a little worried that these were probably meant for the 280,and the Remington mags,and wouldn't expand at whatever velocity I would still have at 150 yards..I think I was worried for nothing.