PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an RSO

bakerjw
09-01-2020, 08:12 PM
So, I re-upped to our local gun club this last week. I've been a member off and on for several years but with a myriad of hobbies, shooting sometimes makes the back burner. We have a pair of federally operated rangers here in the Cherokee National Forest but they can be seriously dangerous places due to the nature of shooters. Our local club has rigid procedures in place to ensure the safety of members and people and facilities that might be down range.
So after getting my gate pass in the mail, I popped on the web site to see range hours. Hours are scaled back due to Covid as many of the range officers are in their 70s and not too keen on being out and about if not necessary. I figured with my work schedule, I can easily free up one afternoon a week to do a 4 hour stint as an RSO. As a contract worker ten+ years ago I went through their training so it is no big deal.
I talked to the club president last night for an hour and half and we had a good long talk about guns in general. He mentioned that many people want to be RSOs for the benefits. I asked "There are benefits?" He responded, "you didn't know that? You just wanted to volunteer?" Yep. They have a need and I have time. The way I see it I can scrounge brass. Beg for primers and help new shooters.
As benefits go. As an RSO, I have access to the range at all hours. I can take new shooters with no one else on the range to distract them.

RedlegEd
09-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Hi.
Good on you for volunteering. Those extra bennies are nice, but it's more important that you are supporting your club, and it gets you out of the house doing something that you enjoy.
Ed

mrbigsteel
09-07-2020, 09:16 AM
I did the NRA RSO course in order to support my Boy Scouts Council's shooting sports program. I learned some things, but it felt like a very long course. Has to cater to the lowest common denominator.

bakerjw
09-07-2020, 11:33 AM
the lowest common denominator.
That is typically Darwinism at work. It is amazing that some people can walk and breathe at the same time.