PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new leather wallet reccomendations.

Cole440
08-31-2020, 04:58 PM
I am in need of a new wallet. I was hoping to give my hard earned money to a craftsman and not Communist China. I thought I've seen a few leather makers here in the threads or s&s. Any reccomendations or insight is appreciated!
-Cole

dragon813gt
08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
I can’t help but am posting in hopes that you can find someone. I would gladly pay to have the “smallet” that I carry copied. It’s foreign made but I’m more than happy to pay someone in the US a good bit to make one.

BigAlofPa.
08-31-2020, 05:36 PM
My last wallet i bought at a leather shop. Had it over 10 years now. Bought it neer Williamsport PA. Not sure if they ship or not.
http://www.willardssaddlery.com/

LUCKYDAWG13
08-31-2020, 05:43 PM
I have been using a front pocket wallet now for over 10 years and love it also helped with my lower back pain MADE IN THE U.S,A,
https://www.rogue-industries.com/products/rogue-front-pocket-wallet-in-american-bison-leather

porthos
08-31-2020, 05:54 PM
Filson packer wallet; bigger than standard size

Wheelguns 1961
08-31-2020, 06:24 PM
Checkout Hank’s belts. They have some good looking wallets. I don’t have one, but I do have one of their belts, and it is nice.

Outpost75
08-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Why a leather wallet? Better to have something which protects your credit cards from RFID eavesdropping. I carry an RFID shielded Traveler Wallet from CountyComm

https://countycomm.com/collections/wallets/products/traveler-wallet-by-maratac?variant=27639124486

Flailguy
08-31-2020, 06:39 PM
I bought a wallet and a belt from these guys both appear to be very good quality and American made.

https://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/category/LeatherMensWallets.html

megasupermagnum
08-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Almost no credit cards are RFID capable, and the few that are require a person to be within a couple feet to read them. I'm not aware of a single case of theft of this method, and you are not likely to see one. Thieves are lazy, and having to get a couple feet away from a person to read their card is not efficient. The real danger are fake card readers like keep popping up on ATM's and gas pumps. Keep an eye out for those.

Leather is the best wallet material, and I also carry mine in the front pocket. I never thought to look for one made specifically for it before. I may try out that Rogue industries one when mine wears out.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2020, 07:00 PM
Got my last two from Cabelas - bison hide almost never wears out - the stitches fail first. Latest one is RFID protected as well.

dragon813gt
08-31-2020, 07:01 PM
Almost no credit cards are RFID capable, and the few that are require a person to be within a couple feet to read them.

There are multiple items in my wallet that are RFID. Most of them are given to me by the government and contain a lot of personal information. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Lots of people packed in tight when traveling. Especially in foreign countries where their culture has no respect for personal space.

Checkout Hank’s belts.

I don’t have one, but I do have one of their belts, and it is nice.

I’m severely disappointed in the belt I bought. Bought it hoping to avoid the stretch that always happens w/ cheaper and thinner belts. The Hanks belt stretched more. I started w/ the middle hole and now I’m at the last hole, tighter. Anymore and I will have to punch out a new hole. I’ve lost a little weight but not that much. Pants fit the same and waist is the same so it’s the belt that stretched a lot. The belt is holding up great otherwise.

PHyrbird
08-31-2020, 07:20 PM
Cole,
I have my mother's pattern for a wallet from one piece of leather. It originated from her grandfather. I've made a few from time to time for family.
It's the billfold style, a little larger than a dollar, no stitching, has slots for a few cards or photos on both sides, & a flap in the bill section for a hideout.
What would a piece of heritage be worth? Most are one of a kind, they gotta be fitted to interlock. I can make from upholstery leather left over from a couch or chairs.
Carl

Anschutz
08-31-2020, 07:44 PM
I have had one from Buffalo Jackson for seven or eight years. It's holding up quite well. My wife got it for me back when we were still dating so I'll never get rid of it as long as it still functions.

Murphy
08-31-2020, 08:17 PM
I am in need of a new wallet. I was hoping to give my hard earned money to a craftsman and not Communist China. I thought I've seen a few leather makers here in the threads or s&s. Any reccomendations or insight is appreciated!
-Cole

Cole,

I commend you for looking for an American made product. I started my search for more Made In The U.S.A. products 6-7 years back. My job as a water department lineup sure tested the quality of leather boots. It wasn't all mud & water that wore the boots out as much as my size and an odd walk I developed years ago. It seems every 6 months, I was in need of yet another pair of new boots. Being from a smaller town, there wasn't a lot of places to look for new boots. So, back to the local shop and another $89.00 + tax, only to return in another 6 months. Fed up with this scenario, I started looking for some U.S.A. made boots. The first pair, I found while 125 miles from home. Good ole' Justin brand! Those lasted me slightly over a year. I paid $214.00 for them. I went back to the local store when I needed another pair and bought the only style of Justin's the store carried. They were less costly as well, which should have told me something immediately. I was taking them off the next day after work and sure enough, made in a 3rd world country. Oh well, 6 months passed and kaput they were shot. I saved the box label from my first pair of Justin's. I had the local store order me a pair (he didn't stock them, too expensive according to him). Now the really great part. He only charged me $164.00 total out the door for the pair of U.S.A. made Justin's. They lasted me a year, the same as the first U.S.A. made ones. In short, I could pay $164.00 once a year, or I could pay $89.00 + tax twice a year. I was actually saving buying made in the U.S.A. boots.

Happy hunting for your new wallet.

Murphy

iomskp
08-31-2020, 08:23 PM
I have just purchased a new wallet not because of wear but because somebody stole my details by waving or some such thing, so I got a made in Australia wallet with one of those electronic blockers, that is the reason for my post if you are getting a new wallet get one with one of those blockers in built or buy one and fitted

Sven205
08-31-2020, 09:09 PM
I have been using a front pocket wallet now for over 10 years and love it also helped with my lower back pain MADE IN THE U.S,A,
https://www.rogue-industries.com/products/rogue-front-pocket-wallet-in-american-bison-leather

I second this company. Switched to front pocket carry using one of their "classic" models. Am on my second one in moose leather. The original one still looks good and is usable, just wanted a new one.

DDriller
08-31-2020, 11:12 PM
I have a Hank's wallet. It is extremely well made. Has only taken 6 months to break in the card and I.D. pocket.

Petrol & Powder
09-01-2020, 08:43 AM
I can't help you with a wallet but I can tell you that when I found one I liked, I went back and purchased two more for spares. I hate change and that way when the wallet wore out I didn't have to find a similar replacement, I already had one.
Not exactly an item that wears out quickly so I'm only on the second one and still have a new one in the drawer. As a bonus, they are marked as having shielding for RFID, although that wasn't a huge concern for me.

Point of all of this, if you find one you like, particularly if it is custom made; get two.

bakerjw
09-01-2020, 08:54 AM
I used to use trifold leather wallets and then I got my 3d printer. I print mine out and they work great for credit cars, licenses, etc...

Thumbcocker
09-01-2020, 09:58 AM
I gave up on leather wallets. I sweat a lot in the summer (Illinois 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity).

PJEagle
09-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Mine came from bullhidebelts.com.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-01-2020, 06:45 PM
I have a Hank's wallet. It is extremely well made. Has only taken 6 months to break in the card and I.D. pocket.

I never had to break in a wallet

ThePastafarian
09-01-2020, 11:34 PM
I have had a Saddleback leather wallet for about 8 years now and its has held up extremely well. All of the card slots are still tight and none of the threads are fraying. Saddleback also has a 100 year warranty which is pretty cool.

Johnnybuck
01-22-2024, 07:14 AM
Sorry for necroing. Maybe someone will need this info.
Bellroy and Saddleback Leather are tried and true. Classic, durable wallets. I have a Bellroy, 10 years and going.

Tatume
01-22-2024, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine was one of the chemists at Dupont who invented Tyvek. He carried a wallet he made from Tyvek. It was marked USPS Priority Mail. :-) It lasted many years, and was still going strong when Norm passed.

xs11jack
01-22-2024, 09:05 PM
About 6 or 8 years ago, my wife gave me a leather belt for my birthday from The Yoder Leather.com. Wear it a lot and it still looks new. Give them a look.
Ole Jack

Bmi48219
01-23-2024, 03:30 PM
For me wallet durability has never been an issue. My current one is 7 years old, RFI protected, and, while the dye around the edges is beginning to wear, it still does what I expect it to do. The card / ID pockets are (still) too tight IMO, which is irritating. Worst thing is it is a trifold. My rear end lacks padding and the thickness of a trifold w/RFI makes sitting on anything like a firm cushion gets old fast. Alas it, like the last trifold, was a gift from my wife.
If I had my ‘rather’s’ a bifold would be preferable.

PuppetZ
01-24-2024, 06:25 AM
I've tried quite a few different wallets over the years. But my favorite so far is this leather wallet (https://vonbaer.com/products/classic-bifold-leather-wallet) from Von Baer. It hits that sweet spot between quality, functionality, and style. It's made from high-quality, full-grain leather that not only looks and feels luxurious but also ages beautifully over time. It has enough card slots and a spacious bill compartment. It's resilient, holds up well to daily use, and seems like it'll last for years to come.

nueces5
01-24-2024, 06:44 AM
My wife gave me this one a few months ago, I have to say that it is very well made, and I was surprised when I opened it for the first time, that it has a system so that your credit card data is not magnetically stolen.
I didn't even know that this form of theft existed.
It's not cheap, but I think it's worth every coin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404414528006?hash=item5e28fbfa06:g:1JoAAOSwAZpkyIQ H&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4AprC79XGdcWcqklbHRIdceiC2PjG N7ym8r7Nk1n%2BA2faz%2B86AmUwPE2LSzUTytutSxGDNwhU%2 FWw9P30BErIIcVRIofyMNMely0qJk29DSNbHfa2PmvYFZiVxf2 FKBvhzzfLTlzIsZHxaMjUFNHUzXpQcmmS%2BaVFtgYJi%2FaB9 Ad%2Fq%2FORnVQ3fP54YXf6K3aifUeSpdBl3Lb71Qu4EMCXQ0% 2B74OXWxP1AwNjmVuNlo%2Bu8GK5PCXbBlgS0izQD9tKy7iSvr aGQ8rDUOBin3zOV%2BudqRfenijhwxdfOApirGsc3%7Ctkp%3A Bk9SR47O_bCnYw

BobT
01-24-2024, 08:46 AM
These are beautifully made, quality pieces but they usually sell quickly.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/6751010772

William Yanda
01-24-2024, 09:40 AM
I don't know about makers or source, but I prefer a tri-fold configuration.

ohen cepel
01-24-2024, 04:48 PM
Had a Filson which lasted me a long time, its replacement is not nearly as well made.

Got a Vintage Bison wallet for my older Son, that is who I will likely go with when I can't stand the Filson one any longer.
Made in the US and holding up well for my Son;
https://lejonbelts.com/collections/accessories

dverna
01-24-2024, 04:59 PM
An old thread, but interesting. Need to replace my wallet soon. One of the best wallets I ever had cost $10 and lasted over five years. The current one was a gift from a girlfriend and has lasted about the same and cost a lot more.

I am too cheap to pay $100 for a wallet unless it is going to last 15 years. Might do a search on Amazon and see what comes up.

DDriller
01-24-2024, 06:31 PM
Hanks are very good. I have had mine for 5 years and it is still tight and holding up well. At 70 I doubt I will ever have to buy another one.
https://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/wallets

Randy Bohannon
01-24-2024, 08:46 PM
Lee River Leather perhaps the best made leather on the planet, I’ve had my wallet for over 25 years and nothing coming loose, wore out. Made in Ireland I bought mine in CA in some little store in Jackson I haven’t seen another one any place but are available on line. I just bought a belt off their web site and it’s very nice.
https://leeriverleather.com/shop/product-category/heritage/